My "Clarity" Shot at Canon Photomarathon 2010

louis23

Jun 22, 2008
ANG MO KIO
Clarity.jpg

Picture shot with Canon 550D, 18-55mm lens.

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
Relationship between the shot and the theme "Clarity", composition and colours.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To contrast the blur outside the lens and the clarity of the flower image through the lens.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Shot taken at around 9-10am, sun was harsh. Taken behind Millenia Walk. Set up tripod and placed the 50mm 1.8 lens on the head, and aligned my camera with the flower and the lens to take the shot. It's a handheld shot since the tripod was taken by the prime lens.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture:
It's a very relevant shot, to the theme. Colours are very contrasting and vibrant, with the nice bokeh effect. I don't think the flower in the lens was as focused and sharp as I would like, but it was the best one from the bunch.

ts. just curious. you wanted know how well your photo did for the competition?
After looking at the winner of the theme, it baffles me probably as much as you why that photo is the winner. Technically, your photo is a lot more better... :think:
Originality.... yours is not, winning photo is too. The only thing I can think of is probably is this one make use of the current situation. Haze.

Note. I do like the contrast, colour and find that the composition generally decent. You are right that if the flowers can be sharper. No buddy to share tripod?

After looking at the winner of the theme, it baffles me probably as much as you why that photo is the winner. Technically, your photo is a lot more better... :think:
Originality.... yours is not, winning photo is too. The only thing I can think of is probably is this one make use of the current situation. Haze.

Note. I do like the contrast, colour and find that the composition generally decent. You are right that if the flowers can be sharper. No buddy to share tripod?

no go. i used the haze. drawing on a little on buildings too. mine was a totem pole against the bank buildings. the way i framed it the totem looks like same height as the buildings. only the totem is clear and the bg is haze, with the contrast of clarity.:what:

shld just shoot a canon L lens and say its clarity... LOL

Haha ya, that day I was solo warrior, so only had that one tripod. After reviewing the picture I really liked it and I knew that was gonna be my submission. Was expecting it to appear on the board though. haha. Ya in the end I saw many other similar shots through lenses also. So there goes the originality. But also must see the technique mah. haha.

Anyway thanks for the critics! Got alot to learn...

Haha ya, that day I was solo warrior, so only had that one tripod.

Next time, at least find one buddy or join the group palangsi gathered. Look at the fun they have at the marathon. Whatever the motivation is, I find it more fun to do it together as a group than a lone ranger for such out. Most importantly, enjoy the process. You will go a longer way.

I prefer to choose this one better than the actual winner , your picture really express the clarity feeling . ;-)

descent shot. but its not UNIQUE enough to win...

no go. i used the haze. drawing on a little on buildings too. mine was a totem pole against the bank buildings. the way i framed it the totem looks like same height as the buildings. only the totem is clear and the bg is haze, with the contrast of clarity.:what:

i also use haze but not selected also haha

Yes it maybe not unique enough but neither were most of the winning shots. The student winning shot on clarity was quite unique though - I thought that deserved to win.

Interestingly enough some of the photos on the wall were, I feel, creative interpretation of the themes though they didn't win.

Yes it maybe not unique enough but neither were most of the winning shots. The student winning shot on clarity was quite unique though - I thought that deserved to win.

Interestingly enough some of the photos on the wall were, I feel, creative interpretation of the themes though they didn't win.

i dunno. i didnt understand the architecture one. its more like symmerty than clarity.

i dunno. i didnt understand the architecture one. its more like symmerty than clarity.

It is CLEAR that it is symmetrical...maybe that explains clarity LOL :dunno::dunno:

yo bro...
nice shot... since cant pp, u shld have shot it with ur cam upside down... peace

descent shot. but its not UNIQUE enough to win...

Ya same thinking here. On normal days, it might be a good or great shots, but in a competition, the point of photography isn't just about technique and skills. Rather, you need creativity as the theme restrict your idea of what to shoot and most of us might tend to create complicated shots that sometime, something simplier might emerge as the winner instead as some of the complicated setup might cause the judges to think that those are repeated boring shots. Just my 2cents.

yup i agree. sometimes it really takes luck to win, especially when judges can be looking for anything in a picture to win.

May I know the link to viewthe winning photos from this year's challenge?

maybe it would help if the image was rotated 180degrees upside down to get the flower right side up ?

expose for the flower first by itself instead of trying to take an exposure reading through the 50mm ? (just have a suspicion this is what u did.... if not, my apologies)

novel idea and execution !

Last edited:
May I know the link to viewthe winning photos from this year's challenge?

Here you go. http://www.canon-asia.com/photomarathon/singapore/index.html

maybe it would help if the image was rotated 180degrees upside down to get the flower right side up ?

expose for the flower first by itself instead of trying to take an exposure reading through the 50mm ? (just have a suspicion this is what u did.... if not, my apologies)

novel idea and execution !

Yea kinda realised that I should have taken the shot upside down. Anyway what I did was to set up and just shoot. Didn't really do any special exposure stuff. Got lots to learn!