My Camera Doesn't Not Allow Me To Snap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnzila

Sep 9, 2009
Hi all, I'm currently using a Nikon D5000 18-55mm lens. I wonder why the camera do not allow me to snap a pic when I tried to zoom the subject to max and using the max apeture. I'm trying to capture a flower with the background very blur. I was focusing from a very near position from my subject.

Could anyone give me some advise?:dunno:

Thank you!

You may have been too close to your subject, such that the camera can't focus.
Try moving a little back.

Every lens has a minimum focusing distance. If you get closer then the focus of the camera cannot lock - which means in all modes where focus lock is required the camera will not take the picture. Go back a bit. For close-up shots you can get respective filters (Raynox) or a real macro lens.

if your camera does not allow you to snap, it means it is the boss, not you. pull up your trousers and snap anyway.

Many people buy a DSLR thinking that the kit lens can do macro shots. These are then the same people who you see at restaurants or coffee shops, constantly trying to get the macro shot of their food/drink but never getting a good, sharp picture.

It's because you don't understand the limitations of the kit lens. It's not a macro lens. Part and parcel of owning a DSLR is buying the right lens/filter for the job.

In addition to the minimum focusing distance problem, I believe it's also a problem of Release Priority or Focus Priority. Right?

Way too close to the subject. Either step back, zoom closer, or buy a macro lens ;)

if cannot ,
switch to manual focus and see if can snap.

if can,
means is minimum AF distance problem..

You do manual focus definitely can shoot. sometimes, it's because the camera sends out the "red" light that can't determined the focus subject, therefore can't shoot as well. i had this problem when i shoot in the dark too.

wow thanks alot peeps for ur reply. I tried to move back...then I couldn't get the "macro" effect. I guess I shd get a macro len for those close up right?

haha.. at first i was quite frustrated with the same problem
but after playing around i realise
i juz have to move back and zoom in

18-55 gives **** macro
but good enough if we're talking about huge chunks of food

wow thanks alot peeps for ur reply. I tried to move back...then I couldn't get the "macro" effect. I guess I shd get a macro len for those close up right?

hehehehe DSLR + kit lens is not a wonder combo! Otherwise why would they make the lenses interchangeable??

You need THIS
AFS_MC_60_ED_xs_l.jpg

or THIS
AFS_VR_Micro105_01_i.jpg

or one of many others... some of the 3rd party manufacturers produce macro lenses as well.

Hi all, I'm currently using a Nikon D5000 18-55mm lens. I wonder why the camera do not allow me to snap a pic when I tried to zoom the subject to max and using the max apeture. I'm trying to capture a flower with the background very blur. I was focusing from a very near position from my subject.

Could anyone give me some advise?:dunno:

Thank you!

Kit lens can, need to invest a cheap extension tube. (comes in 12mm, 25mm etc) . Hollowtube that comes inbetween u lens and body.

A $25 close-up lens/filter will also do the job; pse. correct me if I'm wrong.

Kit lens can, need to invest a cheap extension tube. (comes in 12mm, 25mm etc) . Hollowtube that comes inbetween u lens and body.

Hollow-tube might mean no electrical connection between camera and lens, so everything is manual, including focusing, metering, etc.
That may or may not be to the TS' expectations.
Close-up filters is an unknown area to me :embrass: Not into macro :)

hehehehe DSLR + kit lens is not a wonder combo! Otherwise why would they make the lenses interchangeable??

You need THIS
AFS_MC_60_ED_xs_l.jpg

or THIS
AFS_VR_Micro105_01_i.jpg

or one of many others... some of the 3rd party manufacturers produce macro lenses as well.

What r the specs of these lens?

Hollow-tube might mean no electrical connection between camera and lens, so everything is manual, including focusing, metering, etc.
That may or may not be to the TS' expectations.
Close-up filters is an unknown area to me :embrass: Not into macro :)

Have connection. When i say hollow tube, it is not to be confused with the teleconverter.

Have connection. When i say hollow tube, it is not to be confused with the teleconverter.

There are two versions. The cheaper tubes come without any electrical connections. Here you have the issue as ZerocoolAstra mentioned. For Canon EF and Nikon G lenses that's an issue because you can't adjust aperture manually. For Canon I know a workaround, not sure how that works for Nikon.
But there are also (more expensive) tubes that have electrical connections to pass through the communication between lens and body. Just a question of price tag.

Status
Not open for further replies.