My brilliant sunset

Status
Not open for further replies.

stype

Jul 29, 2007
Geylang Serai
iamelvan.blogspot.com
A_brilliant_radiance_of_sunset_by_stype07.jpg

1) Is my composition ok? Is there any other thing that i could have done to improve this picture?
2) The evening sky was filled with an array of amazing colours and I was hoping to capture as much of that as i possibly could.
3) I was a bit late (got caught in a jam). Manage to set up my tripod in a jiffy. As the sunrays were nearly gone, i had to rush. I took as many pictures as i possibly could on my tripod. This picture has not been editted in any way.

Focal length - 18mm
F-number - F/22
Exposure time - 40sec
Iso - 100

4) I am personnally quite happy with the results. Quite a sucker for sunsets and the colours of the sky and the sea in this picture are quite nice to me. But i beleive its lacking some punch some where but i just cant put a finger on to it.

nice view...but it feels quite empty on the top and at the bottom...

I like the assortment of tones and colors on your pic. Composition wise, there's not too much of interest (i.e. cannot hold viewer for too long). Perhaps in the state of rush, you didn't have much time to frame or to look around.

:thumbsup: for your effort and commitment! I know what you mean when you said that you rushed to get to the scene; happens to me too. Don't we all "suffer" for the sake of our hobby?

Last edited:
Very nice Sunset~ i like the different tones on the picture itself.

having said that, the only thing i found wasted is the over dark foreground which extends to much of the bottom right corner of the picture itself.

One other thing, the sky quite empty....

It is nonetheless still :thumbsup: superb~

Focal length - 18mm
F-number - F/22
Exposure time - 40sec
Iso - 100
[/QUOTE]

Hi Stype,

Nice pictures.I like the tone of the sky alot :) I also like to take sunset and sunrise. See if we have the opportunity to meet up go take together haha. but I'm just a beginner. BTW, Like to ask, did you use any filters to get the star burst effect for the lights?

Hi Stype,

Nice pictures.I like the tone of the sky alot :) I also like to take sunset and sunrise. See if we have the opportunity to meet up go take together haha. but I'm just a beginner. BTW, Like to ask, did you use any filters to get the star burst effect for the lights?

hello alex. sure why not?!

no i didnt use any coloured filters. aperture very small, shutter open long. thats all.

hello alex. sure why not?!

no i didnt use any coloured filters. aperture very small, shutter open long. thats all.

any flash on?

lots of potential in this shot.

I feel the foreground a little bit lacking of subject, perhaps that is the key problem to this shot. Other then that, it is quite good actually.

looking forward to see more of your works here. cheers,

Billy

wow.. cos the last time i did a night shot with a sigma 10-20 vs a 50 f1.4, only the 50f1.4 prime lens can give me the star burst effect compared to a zoom lens. I asked my friends and they told me I might need to use a filter, which I still do not have. That was why I like to seek your opinion :> Thanks for the advice

any flash on?

Do you see any flash in the image? That should be obvious enough.

---

I like the colour palette here. Very pleasing and not over the top.

However, I feel that there is excessive negative space both at the top and bottom of frame. If the sky was filled with some dramatic clouds, or there was a strong foreground subject in place of the negative space near the bottom of frame, that would have justified the longer crop, but here, I feel a square crop (reducing negative space at the top and bottom) would bring more focus and strength to the composition.

---

Alex:
You will get starburst effects if your lens is stopped down. Also note that the Sigma 10-20 has a 6-bladed aperture. This will mean your highlights that turn into stars will have 6 points. Any aperture with an even number of blades will produce starbursts with as many points. Any aperture with an odd number of blades will produce starbursts with double the points (for instance, a 7-bladed aperture will produce a 14-point star).

good picture you have there Stype ;)

the filter might make the colours more interesting but personally, this effect you have managed to achieve is brilliant as it is.

:thumbsup:

nice picture. so clean and clear.
Composition can be improved though. much better if landscape orientation rather than portrait. would have eliminated the dead spaces top and bottom. and spreads the colorful skies further left and right to give some transition into night.

Can you share where you took this shot? Thanks.
Keep shooting.

nice picture. so clean and clear.
Composition can be improved though. much better if landscape orientation rather than portrait. would have eliminated the dead spaces top and bottom. and spreads the colorful skies further left and right to give some transition into night.

Can you share where you took this shot? Thanks.
Keep shooting.

this shot was taken somwhere in changi.

Do you see any flash in the image? That should be obvious enough.

---

I like the colour palette here. Very pleasing and not over the top.

However, I feel that there is excessive negative space both at the top and bottom of frame. If the sky was filled with some dramatic clouds, or there was a strong foreground subject in place of the negative space near the bottom of frame, that would have justified the longer crop, but here, I feel a square crop (reducing negative space at the top and bottom) would bring more focus and strength to the composition.

---

Alex:
You will get starburst effects if your lens is stopped down. Also note that the Sigma 10-20 has a 6-bladed aperture. This will mean your highlights that turn into stars will have 6 points. Any aperture with an even number of blades will produce starbursts with as many points. Any aperture with an odd number of blades will produce starbursts with double the points (for instance, a 7-bladed aperture will produce a 14-point star).

newbie question: what do you mean by stopped down?

Alex:

very good advice there calebk... even i learnt something today...

on the pic itself, i would agree that the colour is superb... thumbs up for that...

but like what the others said... too much negative(empty) space... but overall still a grea shot! ;)

You have a lovely shot there.
However I feel there is, as mentioned before, too much space on both the top and bottom of the frame.
Colours are good.

Short and sweet, good shot otherwise.

It's nice! But like what the others said, i think the top is bare. Mmhm maybe doing a 16 by 9 would help narrow it? My thoughts aye :)

It's nice! But like what the others said, i think the top is bare. Mmhm maybe doing a 16 by 9 would help narrow it? My thoughts aye :)

A 16:9 would essentially turn his portrait framing into a landscape framing if it is to eliminate the excess negative space on top and at the bottom. You'll also lose a lot of pixels that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.