My bike and I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Lim

Oct 24, 2005
Please give me ur expert critique. This image is shot in B&W and silhuoette was intended for. thanks.

Bike.jpg

hi chris,

would it be better if you wait alittle more for him to get into the middle box (the 2 drain line divide the path into 3). now his neck kana chop.

also, i think too much burning for the shadow of the wheels.

my logic keep telling me that the wall on the right should be bright due to the direction of the sun. although i think you burn it on purpose.

denniskee said:
hi chris,

would it be better if you wait alittle more for him to get into the middle box (the 2 drain line divide the path into 3). now his neck kana chop.

also, i think too much burning for the shadow of the wheels.

my logic keep telling me that the wall on the right should be bright due to the direction of the sun. although i think you burn it on purpose.

Now that you've mentioned it. i just realised what lacked in this photo. the drain that killed the man. the sun was really at an angle and i spot metered off the man. so it actually came out very dark alr. the overall contrast was raised to just have a remaining form of the man and the bike walking down the tunnel. Here's another shot, similar. but unfortunately, same error on the drain.

bike2.jpg

ha ha ha, same problem on the drain.:bsmilie:

i find it wierd, if spot meter the man who is backlited (judging from the direction of the shadow), you should get some detail on him and the path should be blown to bits.

in this case, maybe meter off your palm than +1stop. make sure palm is in similar lighting condition as the man.

more accurate this way as compare to taking spot metering of the man.

denniskee said:
ha ha ha, same problem on the drain.:bsmilie:

i find it wierd, if spot meter the man who is backlited (judging from the direction of the shadow), you should get some detail on him and the path should be blown to bits.

in this case, maybe meter off your palm than +1stop. make sure palm is in similar lighting condition as the man.

more accurate this way as compare to taking spot metering of the man.

Thanks for the tip bro. Will try that next time. =)

thats why i suggest chris to wait for the man to be in the "centre" rectangle patch.

1st photo abit too early, 2nd one abit too late. ha ha ha.:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

yeah, i never really thought of the drains when i shot it honestly. But really if i had a chance to shoot that again, its really worth thinking about it much more then i did. Thanks KK and dennis.

Hey that's a really good photo Chris.

I prefer the first one. I'm not too bothered abt the drain imo.
Cool job on this :)

Thanks talisman.

I think the 2nd pic conveys the feelings of sadness, loneliness and weariness more than the first one. The fact that he has all that space in front of him to travel, his slightly slouching body posture and the long shadow cast by him lends emphasis to these feelings. The high contrast of both pics also lend to the starkness of the urban environment he is travelling through.

The first pic with him in middle ground just makes him look a little lost IMO. The 2nd pic is the much stronger of the two.

I like the high contrast, charcoal drawing-like feel of both photos.
How did you achieve it? thru PS?

Well done! :thumbsup:

Addendum: Opps! I just realised that in both pics he is walking towards the photographer rather than away.:bsmilie:

All my early comments were if the cyclist was walking away from the viewer. Oh well...:embrass:

Thanks Tetrode. Yeah the cyclist was walking towards me. What a pity rite?? LOL hmmm the contrast was enhanced in PS. Multiple layers of the same photo with different processing was used to fuse everything together and produce this effect. I'd say effectively about 4 or 5 layers made this photo. =)

How did create that interesting depth of field effect? Quite akin to an image from a view camera or tilt lens.

How did create that interesting depth of field effect? Quite akin to an image from a view camera or tilt lens.

effects of multiple cross processing.

Heheh...

Sigma 28-70 2.8-4....
still with ya? ;)

OH! lol hey how are u? :bsmilie: No man. i'm not using it anymore. had thoughts of going for a fixed aperature lens. =) haha

hmmm was thinking of 17-55 2.8 or a few prime lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.