"My Big Hand got problem with gripping small camera?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

dominator

Mar 7, 2005
Amazon Forest
So do you think that is an excuse to buy a bigger camera?
A way to cover up your inferior feelings over holding or having a smaller camera?

Often I read people mentioning hand big, but somehow I feel it is sort of an excuse.
How about people with real big hand who know nuts about SLR/DSLR and bought that compact camera? Why they don't feel it and still prefer as small as possible?

dominator said:

I'm not sure if it's an excuse, but I see reviewers bemoaning that SLRs are too small to be held comfortably - but those supposedly small cameras are still bulky compared to many SLRs 25 years ago that people had little complaints with. I'd be happy to have a dSLR the size of let's say a Pentax MX that fits into small bags or even jacket pockets - and I have large hands.

If you need an excuse to buy something, you probably don't need it.

I have small hands and holding a big cam really does feel weird. The opposite way around definitely does not hold true. If the D50 is heavier than the D70 wouldn't the feel of the grip be more snug and more comfortable? If their bighands got problem gripping small camera, maybe they shouldn't be toying around with equipment that relies alot on nimble fingers with lotsa fiddling to do etc etc.

itchy said:
I have small hands and holding a big cam really does feel weird. The opposite way around definitely does not hold true. If the D50 is heavier than the D70 wouldn't the feel of the grip be more snug and more comfortable? If their bighands got problem gripping small camera, maybe they shouldn't be toying around with equipment that relies alot on nimble fingers with lotsa fiddling to do etc etc.

Now, frankly, how can you be sure of that? One shouldn't be so quick to pass judgement if he has not, or is physically unable to experience it himself. Put a little more thought into how the opposite view may be true, rather than dismissing it so flippantly.

Pretty sure about that cause I have friends who have comparatively larger hands than I do. And they're using cams like the D50

Generally imo I think big hand can hold any camera, big or small.
But small hand really got problem gripping a real big camera.

Well I think I have one of the biggest hand around and when I see people complaining, I cannot tahan their excuses.

Try it...can your hand size(palm and fingers inclusive) exceed the width length of an A4 paper? Mine exceeded..

dominator said:

Well I think I have one of the biggest hand around and when I see people complaining, I cannot tahan their excuses.

Try it...can your hand size(palm and fingers inclusive) exceed the width length of an A4 paper? Mine exceeded..
so does mine, we should shake hands. :bsmilie:

but using your big hands try to hold a small camera for a long time and your fingers will start to ache. this is because of the lenght of the fingers. think about it.

btw I use a D70, solution is to get a hand strap.

dominator said:
A way to cover up your inferior feelings over holding or having a smaller camera?

Often I read people mentioning hand big, but somehow I feel it is sort of an excuse.
How about people with real big hand who know nuts about SLR/DSLR and bought that compact camera? Why they don't feel it and still prefer as small as possible?
Go buy ya Dynax 7D + Vertical Grip. Like dat juz enuff for ur hands. :bsmilie:

itchy said:
Pretty sure about that cause I have friends who have comparatively larger hands than I do. And they're using cams like the D50
Hmm, don't you think there's a bit of irony in your statement after my query above? I asked if you can personally verify if it isn't true and yet you quote 3rd parties as an example? Have any of you done any intensive photographic shooting for long hours?

dominator said:

Try holding a heavy object by your thumb and 3 fingers without letting the heel of your palm contact it. That's how it feels holding a small camera body that doesn't have a grip big enough for a firm grasp.

Take a small body like a 300D or D50 and try shooting with it with a large lens for prolonged hours and you might start to feel the strain. Its worse if you are forced to shoot portrait orientation.

An optimal grip size is all a part of ergonomics. Smaller cameras for smaller hands, bigger cameras for big hands. A small hand would have difficulty reaching controls on a larger camera, similarly a large hand on a small camera would have excessively bend his fingers to access functions that are too close, not to mention being unable to have a firm grip due to the palm being unsupported.

Many fellow photographers I know never fail to shoot without their accessory grips despite the added weight, simply for the additional comform and feel it provides for a firmer grasp.

One may fail to see the reasoning, because you do not encounter the problem in your personal usage pattern. But how does that make the opinions of others necessarily an excuse?

its in the ergonomics man..... if the grip of the cam dun suit u it juz doesnt...

erhm some ppl prefer compacts to be small coz they are erhm "COMPACTS" wat....hahaha

cheers

espn said:
If you need an excuse to buy something, you probably don't need it.

this statement nails the root of the situation.

if someone needs to spend so much more just to give himself an excuse...its quite a sad case.

Douglas

I guess when you read some mags and the reviewers say camera is too small for large hands, bear in mind that many of these articles are written by caucasians, and some of these fellas hands really damn big. Not say cannot grip properly, but handling becomes very fiddly and awkward.

For me, my hands aren't big, but I've got long, skinny fingers, and when I hold onto my KM Dynax 5D's shallow grip, with my little finger dangling off the bottom, I can really feel the strain on my entire right forearm after a whole day's shoot. And since this camera doesn't have a vertical grip, shooting in portrait orientation is a real killer. Really feels like my arm going to drop off, even though it's supposed to be a very light camera! However, when I handled a (borrowed) Canon EOS-1Ds, certainly much bulkier and heavier, I didn't feel as strained.

So, I would be one of those who would like to get a bigger camera because I cannot grip a smaller camera properly. However, the only reason why I don't do so is purely because of cost. Lowly paid civil servant, not so rich one. :p If I had cash to burn, I'd go for the larger Dynax 7D (or equivalent) for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.