My bad Buy/Sell experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

yannick87

Aug 9, 2008
Bukit Panjang
I just bought this crumpler bag from B/S section on 29/6/09
The buyer claimed it was new, so we agreed to meet up.
We met up, he showed me the bag still in the plastic cover with the tag still on.
Upon examination, i found the inserts a bit loose and not sticking that well.
He reassured me that it would not be a issue if loaded it was filled with gear.
So for a quick test, i took my camera(d90), another lens and grip to see how it would weigh down.
It seemed fine, but the inserts issue still bothered me. He reassured me that it would not be an issue.

As before we did transaction, i asked him for his personal guarantee for any problems. He said by this thur night, which i accepted.

Fast forward to today(30/6/09), my bro took my bag out with my camera, another 2 lens, grip and a cleaning kit.He came home telling me, that the gear kept moving out of place.
So, i msg the seller asking for a refund.
He msg me telling me he would not do it, as I the buyer have accepted the condition of the bag and thus accept it was my own issue.
After exchanging a few more msgs, he told me that he gave the personal guarantee out of good will.
He does not want to refund me my money and constantly blames my own judgment for this problem.

Please comment on this issue whether positive/ negative.
Thank you.

If the inserts bother you that much, you shouldn't have agreed to the transaction.

To TS, if u are a picky person, please buy new from a shop..dont complain if you want to save on 2rd hand and have less problem later.

yea, you agreed on the transaction in the first place. It's not his obligation to agree to a refund :think:

Have u compared yours to the crumpler shop? see whether does it happen to tht particular model?

yeah,,To TS,..u must take the risk of buying 2nd hand stuff. If u feel unsure, then better go for 1st hand. Where u can interrogate the salesperson badly. I have also sold some of my item in B/S here. I always remind buyers. - That you are buying this at your own risk. Seller will not be responsible on any damages after transaction. So please check the item carefully before purchasing".

It really zing me up when..people expecting warranty or receipt. Since in B/S i've already stated no receipt or warranty and etc. So just a gentle reminder to TS. Please read the clause of Buy/Sell.

YOU R BUYING 2ND HAND>> SO NO ONE WILL BE RESPONSIBLE OF THE DAMAGES.

We met up, he showed me the bag still in the plastic cover with the tag still on.
So for a quick test, i took my camera(d90), another lens and grip to see how it would weigh down.
It seemed fine, but the inserts issue still bothered me. He reassured me that it would not be an issue.

As before we did transaction, i asked him for his personal guarantee for any problems. He said by this thur night, which i accepted.

Fast forward to today(30/6/09), my bro took my bag out with my camera, another 2 lens, grip and a cleaning kit.He came home telling me, that the gear kept moving out of place.
He msg me telling me he would not do it, as I the buyer have accepted the condition of the bag and thus accept it was my own issue.
After exchanging a few more msgs, he told me that he gave the personal guarantee out of good will.
He does not want to refund me my money and constantly blames my own judgment for this problem.

Thank you.

Gear keep moving out of place may be normal. I experienced this even with LowePro bag. Eg: Put the lens upright, after some walking, the lens goes onto its side. And for heavier lenses, the inserts sometimes will be bent, almost coming out of place.

So do check... maybe you're being too overly-concerned about the issue for nothing.

In any case, you don't have a case to fight for here. I guess the seller should refund you only if you find something really amiss with the bag. In this case, it's not justified, IMHO.

well, the inserts can be reshaped to form whichever layout you prefer.

for most of my bags, i'll buy extra inserts or if i have 2 from same brand, i'll swap around... a standard bag is just for general purpose, they won't give you extra stuff, just basic items. its up to you to redo the layout. its like if you have say, a 50mm, which is rather small, and you bought a big bag with big compartments that can put in long lens, how? then buy small partitioning inserts to secure it.

iirc, all crumpler camera bags have internal linings that can attach to velcro, you can get inserts from them or other brands.

TS is jus been picky. loose inserts is expected with 2nd hand items.

TS is jus been picky. loose inserts is expected with 2nd hand items.

Thought he mentioned that the seller promised that the bag is new?

Maybe it is the way you place the insert. try to rearrange them again.

Unless the velcro is not sticking, if not the loose insets shouldn't be a problem I have a crumpler cam bag too and the velcros are really 'sticky'.
Just rearrange the insets to fit your gears, should be fine. And the insets are all well-padded, protection against slight movements is good.

Last edited:
If it's just your gear moving out of place then it would be how you place the inserts and gear. Unless the inserts get 'unstuck', i see no reason to argue about this.

I dont see why you are in the wrong. The seller claimed it was new, and he offered a personal guarantee. Goodwill or not, the fact that he agreed hints that his understanding of the word 'guarantee' is laughable.
Those of you who said that it's the buyers fault for agreeing to the transaction even though he had some doubts, well, lets see how you'd react when put in a similar situation.

TS, I doubt you'll get your money back. Best to just alert as many people as possible to his identity.

rf

Thank you.

from my experience, i only buy 2nd hand when i knew the seller very well.

buying first-hand / brand new from shops save u from a lot of problems, plus u get warranty from manufacturer, instalment payment scheme & a peace of mind.

got money, always buy first hand loh :thumbsup:

Those of you who said that it's the buyers fault for agreeing to the transaction even though he had some doubts, well, lets see how you'd react when put in a similar situation.

Don't be silly. Of course, I'd be disappointed. However, I'd also be smart enough to understand it's my fault and I wouldn't complain about it :think:

(Not saying TS is complaining though, he's just clarifying and i hope he now knows to be extra careful when dealing 2nd-hand :))

expose the guy since it is fraud here.

- Claimed "new"
- Personal guarantee

out of goodwill or not, if he guaranteed it, then he should take responsibility. These are the kind of black sheep that makes the Buy Sell so untrustworthy. If cannot back up your words, dont guarantee.

Agree with this. The seller assured him that the inserts will not be a problem when loaded full with gear; a condition that the buyer had no chance to test at the point of sale. The seller next said he would give a personal guarantee, which can only reasonably be read as saying that "You buy now, go back try, got problem with inserts I will guarnatee". This guarantee was to mislead the buyer into closing the sale even when he had doubts on the inserts issue. With the guarantee, he felt safe in buying; but that turned out to be a false security.

Assuming everything the buyer said is true and can be backed up; without any counterview from the seller; legally speaking, the seller is in the wrong.

I also concur with your assessment that people say other peopel are just complainers/whiners when it does not happen to them. These are the same type of people on the Straits Times Discussion Board, singing the same old song whenever someone posts a complaint on the ST Forum.

I dont see why you are in the wrong. The seller claimed it was new, and he offered a personal guarantee. Goodwill or not, the fact that he agreed hints that his understanding of the word 'guarantee' is laughable.

TS, I doubt you'll get your money back. Best to just alert as many people as possible to his identity.

rf

Last edited by a moderator:
Cannot side any party..all parties got fault..

Seller - Personal guarantee but never honour his words

Buyer - Should try before buy, if in doubt don't buy

• we do not know the actual condition of the "new" bag
• we do not know if the TS reconfigured the inserts to suit his equipment, so that it will not move around

TS i suggest:
try to reconfigure the insert to fit your equipment
post a picture of the "new" bag and the inserts, showing what is actually the problem

Status
Not open for further replies.