My Antec Power Supply Blew Up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

photobum

Deregistered
Apr 17, 2005
My 10-month old Antec TruePower Trio 650W blew up last night. It was work fine the morning before. I turned on the PC, then I could hear a high pitch whining sound that lasted a few seconds before a loud hiss and white smoke started pouring out the back of the power supply at a great speed :bigeyes: (reminded me of those smoke machines), I quickly switch off the power outlet at the wall. It took a while for it to stop spewing smoke everywhere... pretty much filled the room. For two hours, my room smelt like burnt fish.

Anyway, I am sending the PSU to Corbell for an exchange later today.
This PSU costs me $200+. I probably won't buy another Antec again. :sticktong

My main concern now is the condition of my motherboard and CPU. Hopefully, the damage is restricted to the PSU only.

Has anyone experienced the same situation like mine?

My 10-month old Antec TruePower Trio 650 blew up last night. It was work fine the morning before. I turned on the PC, then I could hear a high pitch whining sound that lasted a few seconds before a loud hiss and white smoke started pouring out the back of the power supply at a great speed :bigeyes: (reminded me of those smoke machines), I quickly switch off the power outlet at the wall. It took a while for it to stop spewing smoke everywhere... pretty much filled the room. For two hours, my room smelt like burnt fish.

My main concern now is the condition of my motherboard and CPU. Hopefully, the damage is restricted to the PSU only.

Anyone has experienced the same situation like mine?

depends where is short circuited, most likely the smoke is due to the burning pvc wires inside the PSU. In a way, probably the high current got shorted with the DC supply. hence the overload... or probably just some poor insulation...

and btw... should tis be in another forum... lol...

and btw... should tis be in another forum... lol...

That's why I posted it in 'Kopitiam' section. Hopefully I am not in violation of any CS rules and regulations. :sweat:

well, can post in HWZ or VRZ, most IT guys are there mah...

anyway, i had that once, and the ram got burnt...

Chiam liao..... :eek: I have 4GB of DDR2 RAM inside. Very expensive to replace.

Wah, so expensive branded PSU can short circuit like that?...

Wah, so expensive branded PSU can short circuit like that?...

well, that depends on the configuration... if its device backfire also possible... for eg, if TS plug the molex plug the wrong way, then the current short circuit, the wires will overload and burn. so primary cause should be the device issue and not the PSU.

just an example.

actually, whatever brand also will explode one la...

it's like, you buy 1D Mk3, but still, it might get faulty one day.

send it in for service, get a replacement and forget about it la. after all, a good PSU is supposed to have a fuse that would cut power if there's any surge in voltage. dont think your parts would get killed due to PSU... =)

Think u are just suay lah, I been using my entry level Antec for over 4 years with no problem. And I only shutdown my com a few times over these years too.

Phew....:sweat: Corbell did a 1-to-1 exchange for me this morning.

The technician said it was a faulty capacitor that 'blew up'. He added that this is a common problem due to a bad batch of ceramic capacitors from their supplier in China. The white smoke was actually ceramic dust.

Regardless, I am using a brand-new PSU now and is working fine (touch wood). ;p

PS: There isn't an official product recall notification yet, but if your Antec PSU has a serial number of T0609008XXXX, you may want to send it to Corbell and have it checked.

Phew....:sweat: Corbell did a 1-to-1 exchange for me this morning.

The technician said it was a faulty capacitor that 'blew up'. He added that this is a common problem due to a bad batch of ceramic capacitors from their supplier in China. The white smoke was actually ceramic dust.

Regardless, I am using a brand-new PSU now and is working fine (touch wood). ;p

PS: There isn't an official product recall notification yet, but if your Antec PSU has a serial number of T0609008XXXX, you may want to send it to Corbell and have it checked.

This is what I call good product support and good distributor, they certainly know what they are talking about and honoured their product warranty sincerely :thumbsup:

This is what I call good product support and good distributor, they certainly know what they are talking about and honoured their product warranty sincerely :thumbsup:

Yeap. If you spend $$$$$, expected to get some kinda of warranty from the distributor. So when spending on DIY computers, sometimes is wise to spend a little more for the things you will get later.

For me I am using Dell which offers me 5 years support for all spare parts if it's down and to replace it within 24-48 hours after i give them a call. Comes to your home to replace anything from MB, PSU, HDD and so on.. A full telephone support comes in handy as well.

My 10-month old Antec TruePower Trio 650W blew up last night. It was work fine the morning before. I turned on the PC, then I could hear a high pitch whining sound that lasted a few seconds before a loud hiss and white smoke started pouring out the back of the power supply at a great speed :bigeyes: (reminded me of those smoke machines), I quickly switch off the power outlet at the wall. It took a while for it to stop spewing smoke everywhere... pretty much filled the room. For two hours, my room smelt like burnt fish.

My Coolermaster PSU blew up after 3 months of usage..all the H/W were not affected. Most reputable PSUs have this feature that prevents damage to your H/W. As long as you don't see any smoke coming out from the PSu, you are fine.

photobum said:
I had that experience before, mine didn't gave any sound or warning. I was working on the computer then smell something burning suddenly smoke started coming out.

I quickly shutdown the main AC power supply fortunately only the PSU was dead, unfortunately the warranty was expired. Yes, the capacity was the usual suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.