My ACER notebook crashed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Wow!

What a shock I received just now when my 4-month old ACER notebook crashed! I heard a 'tuk, tuk, tuk, ...' sound when booting up and suddenly the PC just froze. I tried re-booting it again and then it displayed an option for me to choose my boot sequence. I chose HDD but the PC would not boot up.

I guessed that I pushed it too much yesterday night (correct me if I am wrong). I was attempting to duplicate a DVD (using Nero) and the PC was copying the DVD image. During this process, I used my Excel and surfed the Internet (using Firefox). I saved my Excel file during the DVD copying process and it took a vvveeeerrrryyyyy llllloooonnnggggg time to do so. I knew that it was due to the DVD copying activity at that time. After the copying, I continued with the DVD burning process and everything was OK.

It was until after the completion of the DVD burn process and I then played the just burned DVD. I couldn't play the DVD - there was a burn error, I guessed. I then shutdown the PC planning to do the whole thing again tonight. But when I booted up the notebook just now, I heard the sound of death...

Anyone has comments on this unfortunate sequence of events?

You just have a notebook with a bad hard disk, that's all. This is quite common. Since it's still under warranty, Acer will replace the hard disk for you.

when u boot up, are u able to get to the bios setting? if so, most probably is ur HDD problem..

if u can't, most probably ur motherboard problem.

i had a similar problem a couple weeks ago .. my laptop can't start up at all, but there's power. the service tech said my motherboard spoilt.

in any case, try booting up with ur recovery disk first...

i think the HDD go heaven liao.

Stereobox said:
when u boot up, are u able to get to the bios setting? if so, most probably is ur HDD problem..

Stereobox,

Yes, I am able to go into the BIOS settings. I guessed that the HDD just died, together with all my photos! :cry:

Guess that I need to go to COMEX to source for a USB HDD as a back-up so that I will not lose photos again. Any suggestions for a good back-up HDD?

Yup, that's the sound of your hard disk dying on you.
I find that the newer hard disks have very a very short life.
In the last 3 years I've had a notebook HDD and 2 desktop HDD died on me.
And they were not more than 2 years old each.
Or maybe it was just my luck.

MyNikon said:
Yup, that's the sound of your hard disk dying on you.
I find that the newer hard disks have very a very short life.
In the last 3 years I've had a notebook HDD and 2 desktop HDD died on me.
And they were not more than 2 years old each.
Or maybe it was just my luck.

My luck too... :cry::cry::cry: I will really regret losing all the photos inside the HDD. :cry::cry:

Looks like your hd crashed... did you try checking if the hd is connected properly?

i'm just curious what dvd you are duplicating. ;p

The activities you described did not cause ur notebook to die. I do worse on my notebook than that :p.

Do store all your precious stuff (photos, docs, etc.) on alternative storage devices (portable HDD, CDs, DVDs, etc.) at ALL TIMES!! It may be tedious, troublesome & takes some level of discipline to put into practice. But believe me, it has saved my *ss a few times already (e.g. just before a proposal is due to client).

Don't stinge on data. You can save up money, but you may not get your data back.... ever again.

nyxx88 said:
The activities you described did not cause ur notebook to die. I do worse on my notebook than that :p.

Do store all your precious stuff (photos, docs, etc.) on alternative storage devices (portable HDD, CDs, DVDs, etc.) at ALL TIMES!! It may be tedious, troublesome & takes some level of discipline to put into practice. But believe me, it has saved my *ss a few times already (e.g. just before a proposal is due to client).

Don't stinge on data. You can save up money, but you may not get your data back.... ever again.

THOU SHALL BACK UP THY FILES RELIGIOUSLY...

hmmm if ur hdd didn't completely crashed i might have been able to get ur photos back for you.. but it does seem like ur HDD jus died.. dun think i can recover the info... if its jus unbootable but can detect the harddisk.. due to virus and stuff i can salvage the data..
been trying to advert my services! but heh moderators took it off the buy sell
hmmm
oh well ..
too bad u live too far away for me to venture a test as well..

slaam said:
hmmm if ur hdd didn't completely crashed i might have been able to get ur photos back for you.. but it does seem like ur HDD jus died.. dun think i can recover the info... if its jus unbootable but can detect the harddisk.. due to virus and stuff i can salvage the data..
been trying to advert my services! but heh moderators took it off the buy sell
hmmm
oh well ..
too bad u live too far away for me to venture a test as well..

Data forensic tools or using the real hardcore platter readers??? I am curious...
;p

I betcha if you advertise as...
"Photo recover service!"
It will help....
;)

Oh well, the important thing now is to bring the notebook back to life again. Then, worry about the lost data and learn from this episode and practice a lifestyle called 'BACK-UP.'

The Acer service center is in International Business Park and my experiences with them have been good. I've been there twice (one time the Tablet screen and the other time keyboard--both times were the results of my kid's rough handling) and the repair turn-around plus waiting time was within an hour. If its HDD replacement, i would imagine that you can get it fixed on the spot. Not sure if the service standards have changed.

Canew said:
Oh well, the important thing now is to bring the notebook back to life again. Then, worry about the lost data and learn from this episode and practice a lifestyle called 'BACK-UP.'

bluz said:
The Acer service center is in International Business Park and my experiences with them have been good.

Bluz, may I know when was the last time that you went to ACER at International Business Park?

Just to share my experience , I bought a acer notebook a few years back, after the third month using it crashed, and kept crashing even after sending for service...reason I bought it was cheap with high specs...never again shall I buy acer....:(

Sjourn said:
Just to share my experience , I bought a acer notebook a few years back, after the third month using it crashed, and kept crashing even after sending for service...

Sjourn,

Woah! I hope that that will not be the case with me. So what notebook are you using now?

Canew said:
Sjourn,

Woah! I hope that that will not be the case with me. So what notebook are you using now?

I have been using Sony since, very reliable to me. I rate it second best to IBM. But the only set back is the price..

Hopefully your's won't turn out like that, my first acer was when they were new in the market about 7-8 years ago, maybe they've improve on quality......good luck.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.