my 828 first day shots (purple included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaGr

Apr 2, 2002
www.sc-speedracer.com
My first few shots
http://mercurycube.com/gallery/828test
Hopefully it can help people make an better decision to buy or not to buy.
I know fully well the problems and I made the purchase which I won't regret.

Everything is excellent except for the purple which seems quite bad compared to the other photos I have seen around. I wonder if sending in those photos to Sony Singapore would help? I only took about 20 shots in total and many of them had the CA visible. Only can hope and pray that it can be fixed some day.

May I officially welcome you to the Purple Club.
Non 828 users may want to trash the purple hues but I am cool with it.
There is a simple 2-step solution to correct the CA using PS.
If you were to check out DSC00090 in 8M resolution you can actually see the CA on the ceiling lighting fixtures.
Have fun !!!

I downloaded dpreview's Shay's CA fix action for photoshop and it works quite well. But I'm not very much bothered by the purple unless its a crucial shot and extreme so I will leave most photos as they are.

I expected the purple on lights but did not expect to see them everywhere in the flash's reflection

I am using a Hoya multi coated UV filter. but should not be its reflection?

the reflection on the floor is from the plate. The plate reflected the light from your flash on the 828.
Hope I have answered your question

Cursor said:
the reflection on the floor is from the plate. The plate reflected the light from your flash on the 828.
Hope I have answered your question

ohhh.. the floor was carpet i didnt expect a reflection. thanks!

hmm..pardon my ignorance..can someone tell me wat do CA and PS stand for?

JaGr,
Don't be too bothered by the whole PF/CA issue.. Just go and enjoy your camera.. remember, it's the photographer, not the camera. There *will* be instances where PF will be very visible BUT in most cases, they are quite acceptable. Ever since this big hoopla over the 828 purple thingy arises, i admit I have been guilty of always looking out for PF/CA.. (i have even noticed CA on televison!!! remember the Renci Charity Show.. if u have a recording of that, take a look at Kym Ng's helmet when she performed her high-wire act. The purple fringing was HIGHLY VISIBLE!!! and mind you these are from high-grade TV lenses!!!!!) The thing is : Realistically, do anyone really look at a image at 100%?? Aren't we all supposed to be photography lover? If i had want to look at all things at such detail, i might as well be buying a microscope :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

@JaGr

Time to change that avatar of yours. :p

Triton said:
JaGr,
Don't be too bothered by the whole PF/CA issue.. Just go and enjoy your camera.. remember, it's the photographer, not the camera. There *will* be instances where PF will be very visible BUT in most cases, they are quite acceptable. Ever since this big hoopla over the 828 purple thingy arises, i admit I have been guilty of always looking out for PF/CA.. (i have even noticed CA on televison!!! remember the Renci Charity Show.. if u have a recording of that, take a look at Kym Ng's helmet when she performed her high-wire act. The purple fringing was HIGHLY VISIBLE!!! and mind you these are from high-grade TV lenses!!!!!) The thing is : Realistically, do anyone really look at a image at 100%?? Aren't we all supposed to be photography lover? If i had want to look at all things at such detail, i might as well be buying a microscope :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
haha, same here.
In the Last Samurai, when Tom Cruise was attacked at night and he fought all the attackers, the sword got very very visible PF. :bsmilie:
I told my gf about it and she said where got?! :bsmilie:

arikevin said:
haha, same here.
In the Last Samurai, when Tom Cruise was attacked at night and he fought all the attackers, the sword got very very visible PF. :bsmilie:
I told my gf about it and she said where got?! :bsmilie:

PHEW :sweat: at least i am not alone in this Purple Rain thingy :bsmilie:

I LOVE MY F828!!!

I've taken shots of dozens of unaware subjects thanks to the unique swivel handling. Never could have done it with other cams. Fantastic!

PF/CA problem is not a problem to me. I found it rarely and it's easy to remove with photoshop. The noise in high ISO is the bigger problem to me. But hey, no camera is perfect right? :)

I treat noise as an effect in photography. It invokes mystery, low-light conditioning. For example, a photo of a dark alley with noise looks more effective than one that is perfectly grain-free. Some famous stage photographers' stage photos are full of grain, and they are beautifully executed.

Same goes for blur. If all photos are free-frame perfect, it would look too fake and lacks movement.

You're right. One shouldn't dwell on it too much. Besides, getting a DSLR is *too much* for most people, including me ;)
Thanks!

Anyone knows where the 828 is available now? A lot of places out of stock i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.