my 486rc2 head is dry. should i oil it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiahfortythirtyone

Jul 17, 2005
Clementi
hi guys. the grease on my 486rc2 head dried out. i dont know why. i certainly didnt keep it in my dry cabi. anyway, should i grease it? and if i should, can i use WD40? or is there any other recommended greaser?

NMSS_2 said:
never grease anything that requires friction/grip.:sweat:

Really? I regrease my 486RC2 after I came back from China due to sand in the ball head and it work a lot better then before ........

I have a 484RC2 and originally the ball is dry so no need of any greasing...works perfectly well too!

just use the singer oil. 1-2 drops will do.

i had used cooking oil on my manfrotto 268 big mama ball head. mounted 500mm + 1vhs + 550ex after that. no problem at all.

important is not to over oil it.

the head is design to not only use friction, but also mechnically locking the ball, like a bench vice.

But after some time of usage, the ball will definitely take some physical beating.

denniskee said:
just use the singer oil. 1-2 drops will do.

i had used cooking oil on my manfrotto 268 big mama ball head. mounted 500mm + 1vhs + 550ex after that. no problem at all.

important is not to over oil it.

the head is design to not only use friction, but also mechnically locking the ball, like a bench vice.

this is correct :thumbsup:

be careful what grease you use... if wrong type, too sticky/clingy, then grease + sand = liquid sandpaper...

if the head don't need grease, don't grease it...in doubt, check with manufacturer...

theRBK said:
be careful what grease you use... if wrong type, too sticky/clingy, then grease + sand = liquid sandpaper...

if the head don't need grease, don't grease it...in doubt, check with manufacturer...

Agree. Originally my ball head dun have any grease so dun need to grease it.

Status
Not open for further replies.