My 36 exposures review of the Pentax-08 Wide Zoom Lens for Pentax Q7

hjbyeo

May 5, 2006
East
I got introduced to Pentax 110 when I first forayed into film cameras and small cameras, it was Pentax’s smallest SLR camera, and the smallest interchangeable lens SLR with TTL metering ever made. The small format meant that the camera has lots of DOF. The camera used to marvel me, and many Pentax fans out there.

At that time, I really wished that Pentax will come up with a similar camera in digital format. They did with several compacts like the i-10 .. but I was looking for an interchangeable lens system, just like the Pentax 110.

They did with Pentax Q back in Jun 2011 although not with the fantastic primes they made for the 110.

At that time, the comparatively higher launch price coupled with the camera’s 1/2.3” CMOS sensor, deterred me from getting one. I just wished it was a 1/1.7” or a 1” sensor, and if it’s priced closer to some of the premium compacts, I would have grab it.

Many at that time, felt Pentax missed the point of having such a camera in the face of competing m43s systems and the 1” compacts or its interchangeable lens system offering. I always thought it’ll potentially be an immensely portable camera system. My street or landscapes or candid holiday shots often requires plenty of DOF, so having known the capabilities of a 1/1.7” sensors from my previous compacts the Panasonic LX3 and the GRD4, I know I would buy one if Pentax comes up with 1 with a slightly bigger sensor … to the demise of my wallet, they did with Q7!

With the Q7, the 01 Standard lens becomes a 39mm with light gathering capabilities at 1.9. Perfect street focal length (imho).

With the Q7, the 02 Standard zoom becomes an (23mm - 69mm) almost the usual 24 - 70 lens.

With the Q7, the 06 Telephoto zoom becomes an (69mm - 207mm) almost the usual 70 - 200mm lens. And yes, a constant f2.8 at only approx. 90g!

Without hesitation, I bought into the Q7 system at its launch.

But something’s a missed. It’s the wider perspective. It would have been a great addition to the Q system. Deep down, I know Pentax will come up with 1. But what I didn’t guess was how fast they come up with 1 …

Introducing the Pentax-08 wide zoom! :lovegrin:

Focal Length 3.8mm - 5.9mm (17.5mm - 27.0mm)
Aperture - f3.7 - f4
Angle of View - 102° - 77°
Lens Construction - 10 elements in 8 groups
Minimum Shooting Distance - 0.25m (Entire zoom range)
Maximum Shooting Distance - Approx. 0.03x
Filter Diameter - 49mm
Maximum Diameter & Length - 54.0mm x 38.0mm
Weight - Approx. 75g
Hood - PHRBF49 (Sold Separately)

For more information of the lens’ construction, you may want to refer to the official Pentax site - http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/q7/lenses/index.html

And special thanks to our local distributor - APDS, I was given an opportunity to review this incredibly small wide zoom lens.

I am wondering how to do a lens review for a fun camera system…let’s do it this way - no MTF charts, no brick wall images to show you distortion or decentering of lens element, no white walls to show you how much vignetting .. just real world images of what the lens can do for you.

36 exposures …

Last edited:

3.8mm (i.e. 17.5mm), 4s, f5.6, iso 100

3.8mm, 4s, f5.6, iso 100

5.8mm, 1/4s, f4.0, iso 250

3.8mm, 1/4s, f4.0, iso 250

4.5mm, 1/100s, f4, iso 100

3.8mm, 1/200s, f4, iso 400

3.8mm, 1/640s, f4, iso 200

11615661375_7fa62b332b_c.jpg

3.8mm, 1/160s, f8, iso 100

Last edited:

3.8mm, 1/30s, f5.6, iso 200

#10 - 16:9 cropped

3.8mm, 1/400s, f5.6, iso 100

3.8mm, 1/4s, f5.6, iso 400

#12 - 16:9 cropped

3.8mm, 30s, f4, iso 100

Interesting way of doing a review :) especially when technical info is always readily avail with google.

Just started shooting with my Q10 w the 01,02 lenses and I'm so far happy with what I get. Q7's out of my budget now and really looking forward to more of the remaining exposures.

75gr? that's the weight of camera batteries!
How's the distortion on Raw files? It looks good on Jpg, and the corners are impressive for such a small lens.

IQ is :eek::thumbsup:

As long as you are not thinking of printing very large, I really think it's suitably and reasonably acceptable.

Interesting way of doing a review :) especially when technical info is always readily avail with google.

Just started shooting with my Q10 w the 01,02 lenses and I'm so far happy with what I get. Q7's out of my budget now and really looking forward to more of the remaining exposures.

01 and 02 lenses are great ... Q7 can come later. There maybe an even better one coming in the near future.

75gr? that's the weight of camera batteries!
How's the distortion on Raw files? It looks good on Jpg, and the corners are impressive for such a small lens.

This is the raw files, and probably can do even more PP. I tried to keep things really simple on the files and choose not to work on it too much. Most only auto-toned in LR. Usually in LR, there will be lens profile to use. I think this lens is still pretty new on the market, and it's not got a profile yet.

I think the 08 I have has a lens firmware version 0.2. Maybe it's still a pre-production unit passed on by Ricoh to APDS.

The workflow in LR4.4, Auto-toned, exposure may be adjusted a bit as LR sometimes "under-expose" the image. Vibrancy maybe increased. Medium contrast (some). I didn't even clean up the img by doing noise reduction.

11619732034_82aff58471_c.jpg

3.8mm, 30s, f5.6, iso 100

I really want to showcase the capabilities of the lens in some more sunrise/sunset images, but unfortunately the current weather isn't very cooperative. :-(

Will try to post more images soon.

Last edited:
Perfect travel kit man .

Camp for more photo

That's a very small camera!

I am still quite amazed that they produced a UWA for it. Would it be the widest possible focal length for compact sized camera?

01 and 02 lenses are great ... Q7 can come later. There maybe an even better one coming in the near future.

3.8mm, 30s, f5.6, iso 100
[/CENTER]

I really want to showcase the capabilities of the lens in some more sunrise/sunset images, but unfortunately the current weather isn't very cooperative. :-(

Will try to post more images soon.

:eek: 'better one in future?' haha. So far, I'm happy with what the Q10 can provide, especially 01 lens. Previously shooting the 25/1.4 (50mm equiv) on MFT wasn't really great but somehow the Q10+01 combination works for me. This UWA really... interests me. :) Maybe not very appropriate but is the lens for sale already?

I agree with keithwee comments. This truly is a refreshing way to do a review and to let everyone look at the results and judge for themselves.

Good Job hjbyeo, I hope this catches on. :)

Thanks!

Perfect travel kit man .

Camp for more photo

It's a brilliant "weekend" camera, Simon! And better still now with WIDE ANGLE Lens and a approx. 40mm (35mm equivalent) lens!

That's a very small camera!

I am still quite amazed that they produced a UWA for it. Would it be the widest possible focal length for compact sized camera?

I would have to agree this is possible the smallest wide angle interchangable lens you can find for a compact size camera. ;-)

wanna buy one to play play Bro..... I sure will camp here and wait for your photos.... ;p

Thanks for visiting the thread.

:eek: 'better one in future?' haha. So far, I'm happy with what the Q10 can provide, especially 01 lens. Previously shooting the 25/1.4 (50mm equiv) on MFT wasn't really great but somehow the Q10+01 combination works for me. This UWA really... interests me. :) Maybe not very appropriate but is the lens for sale already?

Keith, I am glad that you like the Q system. The Q10's good too, I am sure. I chose the Q7 due to the lens becoming wider. The Q7 sensor results in this lens being 17.5mm - 27mm ... For a Q10, it'll be narrower FOV. A known reviewer of this system even suggested that Q10 and Q7 (makes it a 2 body system). The 06 lens on the Q10, and the wide angle lenses on the Q7.

!!! :))

I agree with keithwee comments. This truly is a refreshing way to do a review and to let everyone look at the results and judge for themselves.

Good Job hjbyeo, I hope this catches on. :)

Thanks!

Doing my part to spread the love of the Q system and its 08 zoom lens.

Weather's not picking up. I will try my best to accomplish the 36 exposures. For those who are interested in the Q system. I already have a buddy who did the Q7 review earlier. See his thread here.

I also have some pictures of what the Q7 can take in this set of images.

Last edited:
OP what kind of bag is that? Some folks over at pentaxforums.com would love to know. Thanks!

3.8mm, 6-8s, f5.6, iso 100

I use a pano head (Nodal Ninja 3) to stitch a few shots (cropped 5:4) at 3.8mm. I am probably only like 5 steps away from the playground.

Last edited: