My 2 children


Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
41
East
www.weekai.com
real cuties. :) How old are they? And are they like 1 yr apart in age?

Haha Goondu we can trace your kids' growth in clubsnap already, can see their pics everyday! :D
 

Goondu

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,292
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
Originally posted by Tweek
real cuties. :) How old are they? And are they like 1 yr apart in age?

Haha Goondu we can trace your kids' growth in clubsnap already, can see their pics everyday! :D
Thanks. They really look like being 1 year apart, but they are not. Only 1 minute apart from each other. Both of them are coming to 18 months old.

My daughter is much bigger size than my son, and there is a reason for this. You see, my son is having congenital heart disease. The medical term for this is "Tetralogy of Fallot". It is a difficult to explain, but to put it simply there is 4 defects in the heart.

1) Hole in the heart
2) Vein is bigger as it is shared by both the left and right upper ventricle
3) Artery is small as it is not functioning due to (1) and (2)
4) Heart pumps much harder, resulting in the lower right ventricle being oversized.

When he was born, he had to stay in the ICU for 40 days because he was only 1.6kg at birth. Also his oxygenation level in the blood is only about 75% cf 99~100% for a healthy baby.
I have some instant photographs which showed that all his 4 limbs were attached with drips.

He is what we called a blue baby. He will turn blue or purple when he is crying for long period.

He went back to the hospital at the age of 5 months old to do an operation. This operation is what we called a BT shunt. It is quite similar to a bypass, where the vein and the artery is connected by a tube. This is to enable better blood circulation. He stayed there for another 2 weeks.

Next week, he will be admitted to hospital again, this time to do the corrective surgery. The hole will be mended and the artery will be enlarged to enable correct circulation of the blood. By do so, the heart will beat slower and through time the heart will not be oversize.

This will be a very delicate operation, and a major one. With this operation there will be risks involved, such as permanent brain damage, stroke, infection, and even death!

So you see, all my photographs posted here is my kids, as the sad truth is finally out ....

:cry: :cry: :cry:
 

Tweek

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,027
0
0
41
East
www.weekai.com
Oh man...I am so so sorry. Your little boy looks so healthy that I'd never imagine. I had a hole in my heart when I was a newborn, not sure if it was exactly the same case, but the hole sealed after sometime. And I just watched John Q, and was very touched by the love of a father for his son. It's a man thing and we all know it (although I am childless so far).

I'm sure the operation will turn out to be a success, your boy is too cute for anything to happen to him. Here's to wish him all the best, that he will pull through this "Jie2" in his life. And as for you, be positive! Everything will be fine. ;)
 

Flare

New Member
Jan 24, 2002
1,734
0
0
38
Bukit Batok West Avenue 2
public.fotki.com
Sad....

Kids at this age have great recovery ability, The operation would sure be a success, Singapore has perhaps one of the best health care service in asia, other than Japan.
I don't pray.... so...er.....er.......... er........................ I Wish your son the best, may all form of greater diety, whatever they are known as, whatever they are called,bless him.
 

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Hi Goondu.

What's the name of your boy? Need to know so that I can pray for him too!

Just wanna bless you and your family with this:

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. - John 14:27
 

kylelam77

New Member
Apr 7, 2002
370
0
0
42
Los Angeles
Visit site
I dun know wat to say...... Look on the bright side of things. They are so lovely and mostly they haf u as their father! They'll be fine! Love to see their photos!
 

Paladin

New Member
Jan 18, 2002
723
2
0
50
SGP
Visit site
As parent of twin girls, I can feel your pain.....of seeing your own kids suffering.....and can't do anything abt it...but....yes, there is power in prayer!! Be encourage that children are always precious in HIS eyes....:thumbsup:
 

Goondu

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,292
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
I would like to thank you guys for all your concerns that you have shown.


Originally posted by excentrique

Goodu, pray for the best. I'll pray for your boy boy too..


Thank you for your concern. I appreciate your kind gesture.

Originally posted by Tweek

Oh man...I am so so sorry. Your little boy looks so healthy that I'd never imagine. I had a hole in my heart when I was a newborn, not sure if it was exactly the same case, but the hole sealed after sometime. And I just watched John Q, and was very touched by the love of a father for his son. It's a man thing and we all know it (although I am childless so far).

I'm sure the operation will turn out to be a success, your boy is too cute for anything to happen to him. Here's to wish him all the best, that he will pull through this "Jie2" in his life. And as for you, be positive! Everything will be fine. ;)


There is no need to apologise at all :) . Yes, everyone was surprised that he doesn't look like he's having this condition. Credit must be given to my wife for taking so good care of him. Regarding your case, I believe your medical term is called PSD, which happens to be one of the problems my son is having. If the hole is small, chances are very good that the hole will close up itself during the teen years. I have not seen John Q but I am glad that you are touched by the show. I am very sure that you will turn up to be an excellent parent.

I really hope that the operation is successful too and pull through this hiccup in his life. I also hope everything will be fine.

Originally posted by Flare

Sad....

Kids at this age have great recovery ability, The operation would sure be a success, Singapore has perhaps one of the best health care service in asia, other than Japan.
I don't pray.... so...er.....er.......... er........................ I Wish your son the best, may all form of greater diety, whatever they are known as, whatever they are called,bless him.


Yes, kids are known to have good recovery ability, if the operation is successful in the first place. Main concern will be infection setting in, as kids tend to be weaker in the immune system.
Anyway, thanks for your concern, I'm sure the dieties will bless you too.:)

Originally posted by Adamgoi

Hi Goondu.

What's the name of your boy? Need to know so that I can pray for him too!

Just wanna bless you and your family with this:

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. - John 14:27


Thank you for your concern, Adamgoi. My son's name is Seng Han. Even though, my family is not Christians, I am very touched by your gesture. I am very sure that my son would be happy to know that he is being blessed by you. May you be blessed too.

Originally posted by kylelam77

I dun know wat to say...... Look on the bright side of things. They are so lovely and mostly they haf u as their father! They'll be fine! Love to see their photos


Yes, all my tears have been dried up, and I am always looking at the positive side of the situation. But sometimes, I can't help but to worry about the operation.
Rest assured that I will keep posting their photos over here.


Yes, the risks is about 10% based on studies done. For Singapore, the risks is about 5%, better than the average. However, there is STILL this 5% risks which keeps me and my wife worried.

I really wish that the operation will be successful. I will keep you guys updated on this matter.

Man, am I stressed out or am I stressed out? :(

Once again, thanks for all your encouragement. Knowing that someone out there cares, really makes me feel touched. :)
 

Goondu

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,292
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
Originally posted by Paladin
As parent of twin girls, I can feel your pain.....of seeing your own kids suffering.....and can't do anything abt it...but....yes, there is power in prayer!! Be encourage that children are always precious in HIS eyes....:thumbsup:
Sorry, your post came while I was typing. Thank you for your concern. The least we can do is to try to understand my son's condition and showered with all the care we give to him. I am sure you are also an excellent parent.

Thank you. You guys have brighten up my day. :)
 

excentrique

New Member
Apr 7, 2002
339
0
0
east
skyetan.multiply.com
goondo, that's the best we can do. You have to be strong no matter what happens in future. Your family needs and depends on you. Some things in life are always full of questions but no specific answers. The only power is within yourself. The strength to carry on. May you be filled with faith, hope, love, energy to live life to the fullest. All of us will go through the same process sometime in life, only thorough different ways. I wish Seng Han best of health and speedy recovery.
 

IamJeFfy

New Member
Apr 15, 2002
1,203
0
0
im so sad to read that post of yours and hope everything goes 'sun sun li li' a.k.a smoothly for your boy, goondu.
dont worry, he'll be ok!
god will bless this boyboy of yours. ;)
 

Goondu

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,292
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
Thanks to excentrique, IamJeFfy and kamwai for your concerns. My son would also like to extend his appreciation.



(Picture was posted earlier but what the heck! :D)

Another photo showing my 2 kids playing with each other.

 

Goondu

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,292
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
My son's operation is scheduled tomorrow (3rd May) afternoon. Will be at the hospital to look after him. :(

Won't be around here for some time. In the meantime, here are more pictures..




The red patch on his forehead is due to the stupid mosquito bite.;(
 

mervlam

Senior Member
Apr 26, 2002
2,279
0
36
Visit site
Wish your son Seng Han the very best. I will pray for him.
 

Goondu

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
1,292
0
0
Singapore
Visit site
Thanks for your concern.

Latest update. Yesterday was D-day for my son. The operation started at 1.00pm and ended around 7.00pm. What the surgeon had done is:

Patch up 2 holes using synthetic materials. There is another small hole which is small was not patched up. Reason given was to allow the pressure to even out.

Pulmonary artery was cut and enlarged. Another patch was used to enlarge the artery.

The oversize heart muscles were cut off due to the fact that it was blocking the surgery itself.

The BT shunt was shut off. The shunt still remains in his body.

Now in Children ICU KK hospital. Was put on a ventilator to help in the breathing. At least 6 lines was inserted into his body. Another 2 lines to help to pump up any bleeding that had occured.

This morning, before I leave for work, the bleeding (due to insufficent red blood cells) had stopped. Ventilator is adjusted to minimum. Able to breathe on his own. The sedatives effects is wearing off and he started to slowly wake up. Looks very groggy to me.

Both his hands are tied to the side of the bed to prevent him from removing the lines. According to the doctor, his condition is classified as stable.

Will update again later.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.