My 1st visit to Sungei Buloh Wetlands Reserve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo0708

Dec 12, 2008
Hi,

I'll be visiting the SBWR this coming weekend, bringing along the following for some nature and macro photography:

1) Canon EOS 450D
2) EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens
3) EF-S 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
4) EF 50mm f/1.8 II
5) Raynox DCR-250 macro conversion lens
6) Tripod
7) Remote cable

I would like to ask the experienced photographers out here, if there is any recommended setting to acheive sharp pictures. All along, I've been using the 'P' mode, with evaluative metering. All my pictures were soft and blurred so far. I've tried to increase the shutter speed, which results in under-exposed pictures.

All advised will be appreciated. Thank You.

Regards,
Leo0708

just bring your 18-55 for the scenery shots and 55-250 for the birds/wildlife. Most of the time your telephoto lens should be on the camera, look out for the monitor lizards.

Suggest for you to use aperture priority mode, + or - the EV if you find the images to be too dark or too bright accordingly based on the scene/background to your subject.

Thks for the advice.

Have anyone use the Raynox DCR-250 with the 55-250mm lens before? I've tried it recently (when I got the convertor), but I find that there is only one "sweet" spot where the subject will be clear. Any slight deviation from this spot will result the subject to be out-of-focus. If I were to shoot some spiders, what should I do? Mount it on the tripod, turn on 'live' view and wait? But I understand that using the 'live' view over a extended period will 'burn' the sensor. Any suggestions?

You have to go earlier in the morning, by noon, the birds will stay at the centre of mud land too far away for photographing.

Unlike reservoirs and parks, the animals are very shy so will be harder to get close.

Oh, lens hood from glares and good insect repellent is a must.

I went there once with my 10-22 and 50-250... found that not much use for 10-22... so 50-250 was on camera 99% of the time. but thats just me :)

dont forget to know the minimum focussing distance of yur lenses ... otherwise you will wonder why images so blurry if your lens is too close to subject

use the 50mm with a close up filter for those insect shots first.... get your feet a little wet before deciding on further investments

enjoy !

Status
Not open for further replies.