My 1st street shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnings

Dec 10, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi everyone, not even sure if my pix can qualify to be posted here. This is my 1st attempt at street photography and being a total noob, I am sure there are vast room for improvements. This is a shot taken when I was walking along boat quay in a quiet afternoon. When I pass by this alley, I saw this worker all by himself concentrating so I decided to try to capture the dedication spirit within.

The reason why I used B/W is because I noticed that the pail is the only bright color in the shot so I decided to enhanced the contrast and use B/W while retaining the color on the pail.

Critiques looking for are the PP and general technical aspect of the photograph.

4186493370_a13e95b265_b.jpg

Thanks all for your time. :)

Nice Attempt

I am a noob too :)

Below points come to mind when looking at the picture

1. Left of the frame is empty; May be a tighter composition would work.
2. Selective colouring works negatively for this image, as it distracts the viewer from the subject, who is the worker.

I find that you are using such a technique on post-processing for the sake of using it. By making the pail only in colour, it will draw attention to it. I believe that it is not the key subject in the entire photo, and thus, making it outstanding is just a distraction.

Now, without that pail in colour, the photo still lacks visual impact. It might probably be better if the worker was looking at you, at least there is some connection. The blown portions of the photo, are also a distraction.

Composition wise, you have applied the rule of thirds and nothing wrong with it. Gangru stated there is a lot of empty space on the left. I am fine with that, as in that space, contains elements such as the spade, saw that draws a link to the worker.

Composition is good.

Left side of frame is not empty, it shows his environment.

Selective color is cheesy, hard to use in today's context because its dated and shouts 'over enthu photoshop amateur' when used.

Will prefer more shadow details.

i think u can try to up your blacks abit more. as for composition, its good, the left side gives the viewer a space to imagine what he's building or fixing.

get rid of your selective colouring and make it desaturated.

hmm personally i disagree with the others about your composition and choice of the yellow pail. As the other guy said, the yellow pail distracts badly from the worker's hard work, since that was your focus in the photo. I would have left it in BnW entirely.

I would also have cropped in tighter because the leading lines at the left top corner of the frame lead the viewer out of the photo. The dark shadows there and the sharply defined cutting tool (pun not intended) in the bottom left also distract from the worker's toil. Sure, you can show a bit of the surrounding to suggest his context, but this much is a bit 'too distracting imo.

Instead, why not crop the photo vertically at the left edge of the extension cord box which says "1360" and horizontally just above the workers head. This will leave the rule of 3rd lines at his face and hands respectively, which shows his concentration and work. The other two intersections of the rule of 3rd lines will showcase the context- the shovel and the cinder blocks. Together, there four elements will tell the story of the hardworking labourer. Furthermore, there will be mid-gray tones throughout the picture, except for where the worker is dark, which will further emphasize him.

Hope this helps :)

why do u want to draw attention to the pail? do u have a reason? is it a special pail worth looking at? anyway there is nothing interesting about the picture. perhaps you can try going closer and take a picture of his hands or his face with beads of perspiration dripping down etc. that would make the picture more interesting.

Hi,

how u make the pail yellow while the rest in B/W?

u using camera setting or is it post process?

1) method 1 using Photoshop: desaturate, then use history brush and wipe the pail clean

2) use the colour select dropper, clickthe bucket, hold shift and click the bucket some more. right click your selection->copy to new layer. then desaturate the background

also got some free programme online which you can do it on. search google.

I quite like the picture. I admit that the pail draws attention but it's in a good location to also highlight (albeit indirectly) the worker behind it. The left portion of the picture isn't empty as sjackal mentioned, it sets the environment.

Perhaps toning down on the color of the pail would have been better. But otherwise, it's a decent shot IMHO.

But, I'm a noob too so take my comments with a pinch, nay... a pail of salt :)

I quite like the picture. I admit that the pail draws attention but it's in a good location to also highlight (albeit indirectly) the worker behind it. The left portion of the picture isn't empty as sjackal mentioned, it sets the environment.

Perhaps toning down on the color of the pail would have been better. But otherwise, it's a decent shot IMHO.

But, I'm a noob too so take my comments with a pinch, nay... a pail of salt :)

:) Yeah I like the pail of salt....

1) method 1 using Photoshop: desaturate, then use history brush and wipe the pail clean

2) use the colour select dropper, clickthe bucket, hold shift and click the bucket some more. right click your selection->copy to new layer. then desaturate the background

also got some free programme online which you can do it on. search google.

thanks, I tot it was the camera that is ablt to pick that particular colour..
and it was ps..

A couple of things I see:

1. The pail. Yes, you probably have heard enough about this, so I will not say more.
2. The stack of bricks/blocks on the left edge of the frame looks very distracting. It seems really "chopped off". I suggest either cropping it entirely away, or getting more of it into the frame.
3. I think the picture can benefit with a wider view. The worker is a little too close to the right edge. A little more space would be nice.

well, i've only read a little of the other people's comments. my 2 cents worth is that the composition is already good. colour indeed can be a little distracting in this case. and, i guess contrast and a little more darkness could bring up this shot alot more.

i would rather u deploy burn and dodge instead of just leaving the yellow on the pail

street photography is about subject AND its environment ...... and their balance and relationship with one another to tell the story with that single pic

nothing wrong with the composition although you went for the obvious

this looks like shot with a 50mm or longer....... would prefer something more intimate and up close

keep it up

Last edited:
i would rather u deploy burn and dodge instead of just leaving the yellow on the pail

street photography is about subject AND its environment ...... and their balance and relationship with one another to tell the story with that single pic

nothing wrong with the composition although you went for the obvious

this looks like shot with a 50mm or longer....... would prefer something more intimate and up close

keep it up

Thanks bro, still learning the techniques. It is shot at 200mm heheh... I did not move any closer as I did not want to disturb the worker... :)

IMHO street photography should have a central subject matter conveying the meaning of the picture. The centre of focus should make the viewer think hard to extract a meaning without it having to be stated explicitly.

In this case I'm asking myself: if the bucket is highlighted to be the centre of focus, what is the is the viewer supposed to interpret from it? Can it's significance be summed up in one sentence?

A picture tells a story, and as they say, a picture says a thousand words. As I looked at the picture, I was trying to figure out what story it was trying to tell. I came up with an answer: the bucket holds water which is central to the stonemason's job. Without water, it cannot make the grout which adheres his tiles to the substrate. This is central to his livelihood.

Technical aspects aren't always important in a picture. Many famous artists never followed the norms of painting. In fact, some of their works never looked "normal" or an exact picture of what the eyes see. On the contrary, it was the emotions and reactions they evoked from the viewer that was central to their piece of work. Think Salvador Dali.

Intepretations are subjective, and as long as you're satisfied with your work and can evoke varied responses, it's a success.

Happy shooting!

Last edited:
i am always curious how to do this type of pictures with whole picture black and white, and only 1 colour showing in the picture.

Anyone can share how to take this type of pictures?

i am always curious how to do this type of pictures with whole picture black and white, and only 1 colour showing in the picture.

Anyone can share how to take this type of pictures?

anyone can answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.