My 1st DSLR....

WilsonG

Feb 11, 2010
West
Greetings to everyone! I have been lurking in CS forums for the last few months... The most interesting subforums that got me really hooked is the Pentax subforum... This Pentax subforum is HOT!! :) LOL... There are lots of info here and I find that the Pentaxians here are very friendly... So far, I only own a pns LX3 which is a very good camera... I love to take pics, potraits, scenery, pets, flowers, aka jack of all trades, master of none... :) Hehehe... But a big portion of my pics are of my pets, I have 4 beautiful cats and 2 lovely dogs... I have been thinking of getting a DSLR for many many months... Have been considering Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Pentax.... I wanted a DSLR that is easy to use, can take good pics in low light, cheap, and looks cool... What else could be better than Pentax K-x white? Hahaha... I have the same dilemma as many ppl here... All my friends and colleagues all asked me to go and buy Canon, becoz "you cannot go wrong with Canon"... :think: Anyway, I have decided to buy K-x and have already made reservation for my white K-x single kit lens.. :thumbsup: Going to collect tomorrow!! Yeah!! :bsmilie:
I am going to buy the following accessories too (consolidated list after reading some of the posts here and seeking advice from bro Felix)... Pls comment and advise me if I missed out anything, or some of the listed items below are not critical, no good, etc... TIA!!

Body ==> Pentax Kx Kit-1 (18-55mm), white
Additional lens ==> Pentax lens DA 50-200mm, black
Blower/lens cloth ==> Normal type
Filter ==> Hoya/Kenko
Dry box ==> Digicab/Aipo, 30L
Batteries ==> PowerEx/Imedion x 4
Charger ==> Maha charger C401/C402
Screen protector ==> GGS Glass type
SD card ==> Sandisk Ultra 1 x 8GB

may be you need bag???

Hi welcome to the colourful side !:bsmilie: Congrats on your new camera (although havent got it yet)...

I think you should get a external HDD or you gonna store your picts in the com ?

Also i think you should get a fast lens as taking picture of fast moving animals you need a fast shutter or else most of your shots will come out blur...

So i will not reccomend getting the 50-200 as for now but get something like the FA 50mm f1.4 or get a 16-50 f2.8 or the cheaper tamron 17-50:thumbsup:

Greetings to everyone! I have been lurking in CS forums for the last few months... The most interesting subforums that got me really hooked is the Pentax subforum... This Pentax subforum is HOT!! :) LOL... There are lots of info here and I find that the Pentaxians here are very friendly... So far, I only own a pns LX3 which is a very good camera... I love to take pics, potraits, scenery, pets, flowers, aka jack of all trades, master of none... :) Hehehe... But a big portion of my pics are of my pets, I have 4 beautiful cats and 2 lovely dogs... I have been thinking of getting a DSLR for many many months... Have been considering Canon, Nikon, Panasonic and Pentax.... I wanted a DSLR that is easy to use, can take good pics in low light, cheap, and looks cool... What else could be better than Pentax K-x white? Hahaha... I have the same dilemma as many ppl here... All my friends and colleagues all asked me to go and buy Canon, becoz "you cannot go wrong with Canon"... :think: Anyway, I have decided to buy K-x and have already made reservation for my white K-x single kit lens.. :thumbsup: Going to collect tomorrow!! Yeah!! :bsmilie:
I am going to buy the following accessories too (consolidated list after reading some of the posts here and seeking advice from bro Felix)... Pls comment and advise me if I missed out anything, or some of the listed items below are not critical, no good, etc... TIA!!

Filter ==> Hoya/Kenko
Batteries ==> PowerEx/Imedion x 4
SD card ==> Sandisk Ultra 1 x 8GB

Welcome to Clubsnap!!!!!!!!!!
Can tell that you have done a deep research on your purchase.
You've missed out a camera bag, you can get the lens from from ebay for a start as well

Welcome to the interesting side :)

My only suggestion is to get a 50mm lens, manual or auto, F1.2 to F2.8, it'd help a lot for indoor natural light pet photos.

Cheers and happy shooting.

Filter ==> Hoya/Kenko
Batteries ==> PowerEx/Imedion x 4 Should be x 8 pcs as you got flat you need to replace
SD card ==> Sandisk Ultra 1 x 8GB Shoud be 2 x 8GB

Camera Bag to carry all your stuff and a tripod and flash in future . . .

Welcome to the Pentax family

Last edited:
TS purposely left out the bag so that the nice folks here at the Pentax subforum can chipped in and get the TS a bag as a welcome gift;)

Welcome! but digicab 30L a bit to small la.
Up the size my friend...:devil:...:bsmilie:

HI u guys know where to get a good blower and cloth??

TS purposely left out the bag so that the nice folks here at the Pentax subforum can chipped in and get the TS a bag as a welcome gift;)
Hahaha! I nvr know that newbies here can get a welcome gift... ;) If really have, then I would love to get the Red t-shirt from nik34... LOL... :bsmilie:

Welcome to Clubsnap!!!!!!!!!!
Can tell that you have done a deep research on your purchase.
You've missed out a camera bag, you can get the lens from from ebay for a start as well
Opps... Yup, I totally forgotten about camera bag! I will include this in my list. Thks!
Have to do research lar... The more you read, the more you know and understand yr equipment mah.. I hv seen many repeated questions popping up and poor bro Felix and other kindhearted bros here keep repeating the answers... ;p

Welcome to the club. :)
Seems like you've done a good reading before buying the K-X. :thumbsup:
For batteries I would prefer Sanyo Eneloop. :)
At the moment you'll definitely need a bag. Think there's a thread regarding camera bag I posted 2wks ago, you may want to read?
A tripod is recommended to have one. Got a thread on this too...

Hi welcome to the colourful side !:bsmilie: Congrats on your new camera (although havent got it yet)...

I think you should get a external HDD or you gonna store your picts in the com ?

Also i think you should get a fast lens as taking picture of fast moving animals you need a fast shutter or else most of your shots will come out blur...

So i will not reccomend getting the 50-200 as for now but get something like the FA 50mm f1.4 or get a 16-50 f2.8 or the cheaper tamron 17-50:thumbsup:
I hv 500GB ext HDD at home... Should be enough for a start... Hehehe...
FA 50mm is a good choice, thks for your recommendation... DA 16-50 F2.8 is good but out of my reach... :sweat: Between FA 50mm vs Tamron 17-50, which one is more versatile and can last me longer?

Welcome! but digicab 30L a bit to small la.
Up the size my friend...:devil:...:bsmilie:
Hahaha! What size do you recommend? I tot 30L is good for a few lenses + body? Dun recommend me to get 100L one, coz it is TOO big for me, and by the time I fill it up with lenses, my hair will be grey liao... :bsmilie:

Actually next to buy should be dry cabinet, I'm using aipo one, full digital, its good.
Tripod, so that you can take night scene etc, quite versatile. Just spend and get $200 ones. Benro, Sirui etc.

Then start thinking about getting prime lens for nice portrait shots.

Welcome to the club. :)
Seems like you've done a good reading before buying the K-X. :thumbsup:
For batteries I would prefer Sanyo Eneloop. :)
At the moment you'll definitely need a bag. Think there's a thread regarding camera bag I posted 2wks ago, you may want to read?
A tripod is recommended to have one. Got a thread on this too...
Thks for your inputs! I have managed to locate your thread on the bag... Will go and read it again... I think I will "hide" at home for at least a few weeks to learn how to use the K-x first.. I dun even know how to change lenses... Shhh.... :sweat: I am a total noob.... Once I think I am ready to venture outside, then I will buy the bag... What is the shutter count for your K-x now? I think sure break record already... Haha.. Your pics are very nice and professional... :thumbsup:

Thks for your inputs! I have managed to locate your thread on the bag... Will go and read it again... I think I will "hide" at home for at least a few weeks to learn how to use the K-x first.. I dun even know how to change lenses... Shhh.... :sweat: I am a total noob.... Once I think I am ready to venture outside, then I will buy the bag... What is the shutter count for your K-x now? I think sure break record already... Haha.. Your pics are very nice and professional... :thumbsup:

My pics? Don't remember I post any pics in the camera bag thread? :think:
My shutter count is 11k I think. :lovegrin:

I hv 500GB ext HDD at home... Should be enough for a start... Hehehe...
FA 50mm is a good choice, thks for your recommendation... DA 16-50 F2.8 is good but out of my reach... :sweat: Between FA 50mm vs Tamron 17-50, which one is more versatile and can last me longer?
this is my lenses and the freaquency of use..
50mm - XX
70-300mm - XXXXX
18-55mm(kit lens) - XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

the range of the kit lens for me is the mostly used range so im plannng to get the 17-50mm tamron for upgrade. ;p