My 1st cam

Ashlee koh

Jun 28, 2010
Hi to all,

I am a newbie without a DSLR, intending to get one soon to start but am gathering info and seek advice before i throw my cash in to this hobby! Which cam would you guys recommend?:cool:

Hi to all,

I am a newbie without a DSLR, intending to get one soon to start but am gathering info and seek advice before i throw my cash in to this hobby! Which cam would you guys recommend?:cool:

Question is ... HOW MUCH CASH YOU WANT TO THROW?

We can recommend you a $1500, $7000, $15,000 or even a $25,000 camera!!! Take your pick!

Just like buying underwear, have to let us know your preference, g-string, bikini cut, etc. What kind of shooting would you be intending to do? Wildlife? XMMs? Landscape? Night performances?

Sadly, we don't have a magic crystal ball to predict what you have in your mind.

Cheers!

Hi to all,

Welcome to CS :)
Decide how much cash you are willing to throw. What areas of photography you think you'll likely to persue.
There are many brands & models & acessories that suits different needs. Once you've kinda sure of what you are in for, hop down to the shops & get a feel of the cameras you have in mind. Then zero in to 2 or 3 models & make your final move from there ;)

Hi to all,

One word of advice, the money you going to throw in is a bottomless pit......

Hi to all,

as bro dingaroo mentioned, you need to help us help you.
First set some parameters from which you can make your decision. Factors like budget and brand preference play a significant part.
Just about every digital SLR on the market is a capable piece of equipment. The differences might boil down to personal preference and intended use.

Hi to all,

Like what the rest had mentioned.

U need to at least fill us in on what are the areas u intend to venture out to? Portraits? landscape? Wildlife etc?
And the amt of $$$$ u willing to "throw"

I cant possibly tell u to get a D3s or a 1Dsmk3 with all the trinity lens if u tell me i have only budget for 1-2K..

So let us help u more by helping us understand which brand preference and budget allowance u have?

Photography is not just about throwing in $$ to buy expensive equipments. I believe you should do some research of your own before deciding what to buy. Perhaps you might want to start off with an entry level DSLR? Pay a visit to some of the shops in Funan and get a feel of the various DSLRs that the shops have to offer. Go with the one that you are most comfortable with.

Good luck :)

Photography is not just about throwing in $$ to buy expensive equipments. I believe you should do some research of your own before deciding what to buy. Perhaps you might want to start off with an entry level DSLR? Pay a visit to some of the shops in Funan and get a feel of the various DSLRs that the shops have to offer. Go with the one that you are most comfortable with.

Good luck :)

add on, and also what specs or functions you need, fps?
other than that still got what lens you will need?

so in the end all still add up to money.

Hi to all,

hi,

your name sounds like Arsenal/England right back Asley Cole if i spell correctly.

I will suggest you buy a second hand dslr to try out first, example buy a second hand 500D for around $850 (body with kit lens), if after few weeks you find it too big or heavy, then you are not into dslr type, resell it, and the lost will not be that much. If you like it and find the fps too slow, or wants a set with with better function, etc, then you can slowly study your needs and narrow down your criterior, eventually, you will know what camera model is suitable for you.

Agreed with many brothers here. It's up to each individual taste and preference. Image Quality is only one of the factor, Usability is the main factor that decides whether you keep or sell.

If you can't handle it properly, even buying the most expensive camera would not get you nice pictures while others may produce magic with it.

Try out at the shops and feel each one, just like buying a new car, you would want to touch the car, test drive it and feel it before you buy and not which best car others tell you to buy.

I have since bought and sold many cameras since I start this expensive journey and eventually I end up with the one that I started off with. Quite ironic but it's the one I feel most comfortable with in taking pictures and I can produce much more better pictures with it.

So its up to your own preference. Many will tell you go with the popular brands and models but you will be surprised what you ended up buying sometimes.

Go to dPreview or flickr to look at the images. Of course, shortlist the brand/model first.

Ensure your budget first because you might be looking at top range images tho. =)

Hi to all,

Since you're a beginner, I will recommend an entry-level DSLR. I have used Nikon D70 and Canon 300D and find them to be very capable cameras for general photography. I think Nikon D70 has better overall performance and build quality, while Canon 300D gives me better skin tone colours.

There are many successors to these two cameras since then. The latest for Nikon is D90 and for Canon is 550D. I haven't use the SD-card DSLR such as Nikon D5000 or Canon 1000D, though they may be good if you have small hands. They are a little too petite for my taste.

If you have limited budget, you may want to consider buying an older resale model at the Buy&Sell in this forum. In fact, you can buy a resale mid-level camera at the same price as a brand-new entry-level camera. :)

Like many other forummers commented, you need to find out the specifications and requirements you need from the camera. That will help you decide which camera to get.

Last edited:
Hi to all,

ask urself wot kind of pics u like to capture

1. portraits
2. landscape/scenery
3. macro

it will certainly helps if you can state ur budget...

and we will give u suggestions... :)

anyways... welcum 2 CS

Goshhhh, another one of those which-camera-do-you-recommend threads! :p

Hi to all,

first of all, you got to tell people what is your budget and what kind of shooting you intend to do.

Remember to set aside some cash for stuff like dry cabinet, tripod, might want to consider a better first lens than the give kit lens etc etc. State your budget, you interest, what you want to shoot etc etc. Its like buying a car, you don't anyhow choose you car right (Even if you just want a transport vehicle, there are stuff that you still consider when getting one...). I seriously prefer people to hands on a DSLR camera and learn some basic before deciding to buy one. It does has better specification which helps the end product looks better, but do you really need it? We need a base for providing advice, thought it is up to buyer to decide what he wants in the end.