My 1st attempt - High key shot

davidhuy

Apr 28, 2011
Singapore
7412779520_9cdf30b11e_z.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Since this is my 1st time trying high key shot with the help of a friend of mine and she is not a professional model, I hope to receive feedback in term of lighting setup, composition, highlight and shadow area and lastly the pose whether it looks fine or awkward

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
For this shot, I was trying to achieve a high-key beauty shot, butterfly-styled and want to have some light wrapped around her shoulders. I was setting up four lights, one main light, top above the camera, 2 rim light in softbox left and right the model and one light to illuminate the background to make it pure white and one reflector to fill in the shadow under her chins, nose and eyes
Also, I tried to pose the model in such a way that all the make-ups are easily seen. The theme here is "Traditional Malay bride"

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
The model's mother is a makeup artist and her mother asked her to find someone to help take photo to extend her mom's portfolio. So I was happened to be available on that day. At first, I was very reluctant to do as I've got no experienced but I think should give it a try. So this is one of the shots

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
Personally, I think the lighting looks fine to me. What I can't explain is that why the eyes of the model have no feeling. Is it my fault of setting a wrong lighting or the model's side - does not how to express the feeling through her eyes. Can someone help me enlighten this part? And if really this is because of my lighting, what should I do next time to improve?
Thank you in advance.

7412779520_9cdf30b11e_z.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Since this is my 1st time trying high key shot with the help of a friend of mine and she is not a professional model, I hope to receive feedback in term of lighting setup, composition, highlight and shadow area and lastly the pose whether it looks fine or awkward

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
For this shot, I was trying to achieve a high-key beauty shot, butterfly-styled and want to have some light wrapped around her shoulders. I was setting up four lights, one main light, top above the camera, 2 rim light in softbox left and right the model and one light to illuminate the background to make it pure white and one reflector to fill in the shadow under her chins, nose and eyes
Also, I tried to pose the model in such a way that all the make-ups are easily seen. The theme here is "Traditional Malay bride"

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
The model's mother is a makeup artist and her mother asked her to find someone to help take photo to extend her mom's portfolio. So I was happened to be available on that day. At first, I was very reluctant to do as I've got no experienced but I think should give it a try. So this is one of the shots

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
Personally, I think the lighting looks fine to me. What I can't explain is that why the eyes of the model have no feeling. Is it my fault of setting a wrong lighting or the model's side - does not how to express the feeling through her eyes. Can someone help me enlighten this part? And if really this is because of my lighting, what should I do next time to improve?
Thank you in advance.

Composition ok, head and shoulder shot its quite standardized nothing to comment on. Hand position looks like she uppercut punch herself in the jaw. Next time show more curved fingers and less knuckles.

You have too many lights. You want to make her fatter?

It's those damn colored contact lens that made her eyes dead. Like photographing a plastic maniquinn.

sjackal said:
Composition ok, head and shoulder shot its quite standardized nothing to comment on. Hand position looks like she uppercut punch herself in the jaw. Next time show more curved fingers and less knuckles.

You have too many lights. You want to make her fatter?

It's those damn colored contact lens that made her eyes dead. Like photographing a plastic maniquinn.

Thank you for your comment.
I will take note what can be improved next time. So this kind of shot, which lighting setup do you recommend?

If you want to do butterfly then don't use lights at left and right.