My 1st addon. FlashGun vs Tele-lens vs Widelens

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwl88

Feb 22, 2009
Siglap, Bedok
Hii, clubsnap

I have a Canon 450D and would be going to Taiwan within the next month.

For now i only have the kit lens. I would like to purchase my first add on and i need suggestions.

FlashGun vs Tele-lens vs Widelens, which would most suit me for this particular trip for my and for a beginner like me? I know all of them have their pros and cons.

For Flashgun, i've thought of the 430ex

Tele-lens everyone tells me 55-250 IS is the most value for money

for widelens, i've received mix opinions, some people tell me that they're pricy and i should get a flashgun first, etc.

what are your views? if you do recommened me purchasing a widelens, what widelens would be feasible?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance. appreciate it.

Last edited:
Flashgun would be my choice if you have only those 3 choices... but it all depends on what you intend to take...

Flashgun if you intend to take indoor shots, portrait and such. remember to get a diffuser as well. a Stofen type will be good for travelling.

Zoom lens if you intend to do some spying type of shots... or is there some ranged shots? its usually more of a want than a need for telezoom most of the time unless u are a sports shooter or a bird shooter

Widelens is you intend to do scenery or walk about shooting for reporting style...

My 2 cents..
I would assume you're having your kit lense which would put you are 3.5-5.6 aperture...

If you can afford it... get a wide len which allows you to take some wide angel shots and can do some decent zooming something like a 24-100mm kind of range... or in canon sense its 16-85? with a apeture of 2.8-3.5 or something like that...

This will enable you to do some pretty decent shots at whide open apeture and ISO at 400 or even 800.

:) your choice bro:)

It's very dependent on what you wanna shoot....

If I'm you , I'll get a 50 f/1.8 (if you don't have one), cause I figure I'll be shooting more street shots in Taiwan.. :)

Yeah i do agree with you two.

I'd probably do more street/scenery shots in taiwan ...

ic, so viewwing suggest i should get a wideangle lens that has zooming..

lypklypk suggests a fix lens .. hmm ..

As mentioned it depends on what you need to take. I have bought a flash on impulse 2 years ago and have used it less than 5 times. Street shots, maybe you can consider the 55-250mm.

If you are going to do street shooting, a fast lens would be nice... something like the 17-55 f/2.8. The reason being that is has enough wide to a short tele and would be great for night street shoots. You can also consider getting a prime... and it also depends on your style of shooting the kind of prime you would buy.

When I travel, if I want to travel light and take only 1 lens, it would be the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. If I can bring 2-3 lenses along, the next 2 lenses I would take would be the Tokina 12-24 f/4 and the Tamron 90 f/2.8 macro. The 90mm serves 2 purposes - (1) a greater tele, and (2) macro and close up shots.

I seldom carry a flash when I travel, but use the camera in-built flash... but I do sometimes carry a tripod to take night scenes. :D

You'll be fine with your 450 kit. Spend more in getting gifts and souvenirs for your family and friends? Enjoy your trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.