Mx-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

r32

Dec 31, 2002
Singapore
I recently spent a day with a Mazda MX-5 SE (that's the 1.8 litre turbo for you punters) on the roads in Mount Tamborine. No pictures of me driving, though - can't stir the lovely short-throw gear lever and mess around with the camera at the same time!

CRW_5185.jpg

Introducing: The Mazda MX-5 SE

CRW_5182.jpg

Joys of open top motoring expands the photographic options too.

CRW_5220.jpg

Low, lean and lithe.

CRW_5195.jpg

Clings to bends like chewing gum to shoes - most of the time. Other times when it lets go it scares me.

CRW_5210.jpg

On these roads there isn't much traffic. A good thing really.

I had wanted to try other stuff, like mounting tripods in the car and doing slow shutter sequences, but the driving just tired me out by the end of the day.

Sweet.

Let go? I thought this car was front wheel drive. How'd it let go? ;)

Rev said:
Sweet.

Let go? I thought this car was front wheel drive. How'd it let go? ;)

No, FR.

I understand that only the 2 litre is coming to Singapore.

By virtue of its wide 17 inch tires it has great cornering grip, non-existent understeer compared to an FF, then it tempts you to carry more and more speed around corners, so when it finally does let go, things happen really quickly.

sounds damned addictive ;)

would love to see the real photos when U have time & more energy ;)

cmwong said:
I understand that only the 2 litre is coming to Singapore.

ya it is a new generation and turbo! now taking orders liao.
0-100 in 7.9 secs and RWD.

it is the yet to be released rx7 roadster (based on the rx8) that is keeping mazda die hard fans on the edge.

i think the current series of mazda's are really photogenic.

so r32 what's next?

bluz, which is taking orders? as far as i know, there are 2-3 silver 1.8 mkII SE running around town... the new generation u are talking about would be the mkIII?

hmm.. i certainly hope mazda doesn't do like wat volkswagen did to the golf gti.. onli the mkV can as close to how much fun the mkI gives..

turbo or not.. most of the time... it takes the fun away.. :(

What's next? I'm going back to school. Photographic technique school that is. The next time I shoot a car it will be my own 16 year old Toyota Corolla just to try out some techniques. So next time I have a nice car to shoot I can do it more justice.

I'm told there's still one unsold Mark 2 turbocharged 1.8 sitting on a parallel importer's forecourt in Singapore. The giveaway is the intercooler on the front. Small, but a hint that it isn't a regular MX-5.

The Mark 3 hasn't got a turbo version yet I think.

One more photo (see something peeping under the licence plate?):

CRW_5200.jpg

actually i'm more interested to see pixs of a 16 yr old Corolla than the MX5.

As for the new MX5, i could be wrong--its probably non-Turbo at 163ps/6700rpm. I'm not sure if its a Mark 2 or 3, suggest some of u enthusiast go to www.mazda.com.sg to confirm.
http://www.mazda.com.sg
Still not sure if i like the new bonnet outline.

I know that the official mazda dealer is taking orders--half page ads of the new MX5 have been running the ST for the last couple of weeks.

Yeah r32, i'm also very keen to see the corolla :)

Bluz: thats the mkIII.. I think looks wise, its nto bad looking.. it's better then the mkII...hmmm.. wonder how its going to be priced.. and whether it can rival the parallel imported toyota mr-s which is selling rather well.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.