MWTT: 550EX for hammerhead flash with canon adaptor

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilicboy

Mar 7, 2004
Changi
tempted to look for a hammerhead flash with canon hotshoe adaptor ..willing to trade for 550EX..willing to top up for better models...
anyone wanna tempt me? :devil:

attracted to the Metz Mecablitz 60 CT-4
400.jpg

and Mecablitz 70 MZ-5 (not sure whether this works with canon as the site only said Nikon..i dun understand their language anyway...;p)
92.jpg

Do you need E-TTL? Cos the Metz Hammerhead Flash doesn't support E-TTL.

BluesJr said:
Do you need E-TTL? Cos the Metz Hammerhead Flash doesn't support E-TTL.

not really...i seldom use E-TTL anyway... :bsmilie: mostly use M mode on my 550ex..cant decide whether i want to get the flash..hahaa

I was very close on getting the HammerHead Flash but decided not to because it's very heavy and I don't think I want to carry that everywhere I go. It's more of a indoor/function flash.

BluesJr said:
I was very close on getting the HammerHead Flash but decided not to because it's very heavy and I don't think I want to carry that everywhere I go. It's more of a indoor/function flash.

that's why i'm not sure whether i want to buy the hammerhead..heard that the batteries of the hammerhead takes quite some time to charge also...

any particular reason for wanting the hammerhead? you could get a Canon off-camera cord II(?) and a 'L' flash bracket and have your own hammerhead with 550EX being the flash head. could also add on CP-E2 for faster recycling too.

devilicboy said:
attracted to the Metz Mecablitz 60 CT-4
400.jpg

and Mecablitz 70 MZ-5 (not sure whether this works with canon as the site only said Nikon..i dun understand their language anyway...;p)
92.jpg
dun worry. the metz 70 mz5 definitely works with canon cameras. i juz tried it on my D60. awesome power!

BluesJr said:
it might b pretty heavy. but its definitely not restricted 2 indoor use alone. very useful for a wide variety of applications. in fact my fren & i use it outdoors more often then not.

u'll get used 2 the weight over time. i'm sure u were complaining when u 1st used a dslr as compared 2 a prosumer digicam previously rite? :D

devilicboy said:
that's why i'm not sure whether i want to buy the hammerhead..heard that the batteries of the hammerhead takes quite some time to charge also...
do u mean the batteries itself take a long time 2 charge? or do u mean the refresh rate of the flash takes a long time?

anyway the answer 2 both r "no". ;)

mpenza said:
any particular reason for wanting the hammerhead? you could get a Canon off-camera cord II(?) and a 'L' flash bracket and have your own hammerhead with 550EX being the flash head. could also add on CP-E2 for faster recycling too.
in fact wat u suggest is probably a cheaper alternative. the 70 mz5 easily costs over $800 brand new.

The 70mz-5 has lotsa hidden costs in it....batt that does not last very long compared to the 60ct-4, and the extra ni-mh batt and charger would cost you another few hundred bucks.

The 60CT4 works well on film bodies (Eos 3, 1V, 5) thru the hotshoe with the adaptor. However, if you want to use it on digital SLRs, you will need to fire it thru the pc sync. It's been around in the market for the past 10 years and still have resale value when you want to sell it later.

canturn said:
The 70mz-5 has lotsa hidden costs in it....batt that does not last very long compared to the 60ct-4, and the extra ni-mh batt and charger would cost you another few hundred bucks.

The 60CT4 works well on film bodies (Eos 3, 1V, 5) thru the hotshoe with the adaptor. However, if you want to use it on digital SLRs, you will need to fire it thru the pc sync. It's been around in the market for the past 10 years and still have resale value when you want to sell it later.

oh..so the 60ct4 doesnt work as well with dslrs??hmmm...i've heard from friends that the hammerhead flash is also good to help stabilize the camera when handheld... :think:

devilicboy said:
oh..so the 60ct4 doesnt work as well with dslrs??hmmm...i've heard from friends that the hammerhead flash is also good to help stabilize the camera when handheld... :think:

60CT4 works very well actually with DSLR. Just set an f-stop on the flash and your lens in M mode and just fire away. Those guys doing weddings, esp for the dinner loves to use it with their DSLRs.

Yes, the hammerhead does help u stablize the shot...but heck, when using flash, very difficult to get blurred images due to shake.

i've got a deal for a mecablitz 45 CL-4..can anyone tell me whether this flash is as powerful as the 550EX or more powerful?

devilicboy said:
i've got a deal for a mecablitz 45 CL-4..can anyone tell me whether this flash is as powerful as the 550EX or more powerful?

The Canon 550EX is rated as GN 55/180, ISO 100 m/ ft and 45 CL-4 is rated at GN 45/136, ISO 100 m/ft .... so Canon 550ex is more powerful .....

blurblock said:
The Canon 550EX is rated as GN 55/180, ISO 100 m/ ft and 45 CL-4 is rated at GN 45/136, ISO 100 m/ft .... so Canon 550ex is more powerful .....

thanks for the info..what about the 420EX vs the 45 CL-4? is there a website that i can go to check out the ratings?

canturn said:
60CT4 is GN 60 at 35mm, currently the power house of all flashes :)

Powerhouse? 70 MZ-5 :) GN 70 at Max Zoom .... but funny lose to 60 CT at GN 50 at 35 mm :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.