MVI – a revolutionary handheld stabilized system takes flight

kandinsky

Staff member
Apr 26, 2008
Earlier this week, Vincent Laforet posted about a mysterious 'game-changing' device...

I’ve been directing a commercial in the midwest all week and my goal was to post the piece up by tonight. But given how busy we are, and the fact that this "device" and its creator are also with me here on this shoot (I really can’t imagine ever going to any shoot without this "device" as part of my standard kit ever again) it’s been particularly difficult to get all of the logistics lined up as people on both the east and west coasts are helping us with the finishing touches.

So WHAT is this "device?"

Here’s what I can tell you with all due honesty: I have a hard time imagining the day where I won’t be using it on a shoot. While I’ll always rely on other types of "devices" on my shoots for specific purposes, this is the ONE I would pick were I given the choice to pick only ONE. And that’s not something I say very often.

One of the reasons you should be interested in what this is, is the fact that almost every single filmmaker whether they are documentary shooters, indie filmmakers, or major hollywood directors or DPs will find that this device will allow them to do their jobs in ways they never could before – but that they have always dreamed of since they first picked up a camera.

Expect an announcement on this blog within 24-48 hours. « Vincent Laforet's Blog

Just saw it. Whoah. Like magic.

My first memories from my childhood involve the dream of flight.

I imagine that I’m far from alone when it comes to having been terribly addicted to bolting down a hall as a child, my arms spread out like wings, and feeling the rush of gravity as I accelerated around a corner as fast as my legs could propel me, my eyes closed. The thrill of reckless abandon and the sensation of taking the tightest of turns always trumped the risk of a collision with the unknown.

Flying is about letting go.

Many of us have in the cinema industry have never truly grown up. We have found a way to hold onto our youth in flying cameras through scenes borne of our imaginations defying the laws of time and physics as we move through our frame.

But any filmmaker – professional or amateur – will tell you that gravity is all too often a cruel reminder of how hard taking flight can be. Moving a camera in a steady path is one of the biggest challenges for all of us.

That is until you hold the handheld "MoVI" device in your hands and run, or drive, or fly only to see your clumsiness and bumps turned into a near perfect trajectory – thanks to insanely fascinating technology of gyro stabilization and accelerometers. The "MōVI" produced by Freefly Systems based in Seattle WA., is a digital 3-axis gyro-stabilized handheld camera gimbal.

The completely silent device weighs under 3.5 pounds bare and can be operated solo, or with the help of a second "gimbal" operator with a joystick to pull off some incredible moves.

And the behind the scenes video with director and inventor’s commentary explaining exactly what it does:

[video=vimeo;63357898]https://vimeo.com/63357898[/video]

MōVI – a revolutionary handheld stabilized system takes flight

Check out his latest post for more on why he thinks it's a game changer...

Looks amazing but wouldn't it be too heavy for handheld? The rig looks really heavy

Aiy.... Just the other day I was thinking it would be awesome to somehow mount a helicopter gyro gimbal system on a shoulder mount or hand rig or even a steadicam vest/arm.

Buy yhe starting price really quite high... Rental item perhaps? Or we could always wait for 12months for some Chinese knock offs that would truly make this technology affordable to the masses.

Its not heavy cause it doesn't require counterweights like glidecams or steadicams.

To understand this is to read on more on quadcopter's gyro systems. Basically, it would be hard for the chinese to do a knock off because of its complexity. If they did, probably it won't work as well

If you are in the RC world, you will have known a brand called DJI. They are a chinese company and their gyros and waypoint systems are just as expensive as any american or german products. AND THEY ARE GOOD. No some knock off $hit for once, for something coming out of china. They also have their own 'gyro camera stabilizer' that cost upwards of USD$3k. If they convert that to handheld, i don't see it being lesser than $5k.

The only thing we could hope for is a scale down version for prosumers who are not shooting for hollywood. Maybe lacking a few functions or so ...

$10k might be alittle high but if i can completely use this and sell off my glidecams & steadicams system, it might be an option.

Lets wait and see.

Last edited:
Its not heavy cause it doesn't require counterweights like glidecams or steadicams.

Counterweights serve the sole purpose of balancing the steadicam. Since this is an electronic gyro, that's thrown out the window. It will still be heavy depending on what lenses and bodies you're using.

If it's just a DSLR setup, then of course it wouldn't be too heavy, FYI Laforet's vid was shot using the 1DC with a CP.2 lens, which is definitely heavier than your regular 5D2 and EF lens setup.

The basic model (M10) supports up to 10 pounds. Imagine, hand holding 10 pounds for the duration of the take, doesn't matter whether it's stabilized or not, it's still going to tire out your arms.

The light model (M5) supports just 5 pounds, think about how many setups you can achieve with 5 pounds.

Not a lot, especially when you might need a monitor to see what you're shooting, a follow focus for focusing tasks etc. Honestly the M5 is really for hobbyist, the kind that has a body and a lens.

Anything else for work-related jobs, the M10 is a minimum, and that's a USD15k premium.

I'm glad that there's this price range though, if not every Tom, Dick or Harry will own one.

True but the phrase hobbyist is not applicable here cause no hobbyist would buy a sgd$10k support equipment.

As for M5, i don't see it any less PRO than the m10. Cameras are just tools, using a GH3 doesn't mean u are less PRO than someone using an Epic. It depends on your usage.

But one thing true is this is good for short scenes. Not for scenes that require you to hold it more than 2 mins. My Steadicam would be Better for those.

Lets wait and see if it really is as good as its promoted to be. Can it be operated by one man? Meaning I can turn and tilt it myself on the go properly?

The latest released footage shows that it can be done but the speed seems 'fixed'. If you turn the device to the left enough, it will turn to the left but if i wish to have a quicker pan, will it work?

Last edited:
They might develop Support systems for the rigs later. As users will get tired of holding it, requesting or DIY their own Support systems for the rig.

i personally think this is not a revolution for stabilizers. After all, the results are similar to one having a steadicam rig.

True but the phrase hobbyist is not applicable here cause no hobbyist would buy a sgd$10k support equipment.

As for M5, i don't see it any less PRO than the m10. Cameras are just tools, using a GH3 doesn't mean u are less PRO than someone using an Epic. It depends on your usage.

Your first sentence is very absolute and it's not indicative of the buying power of hobbyists. The fact that they are hobbyists are even more indicative that they can spend X amount on anything they wish. I mean there are a handful of hobbyists I know using using pro bodies and lenses and this is only the icing. I'm pretty sure there are more hardcore hobbyists that you and I have never seen.

What I wanted to say that at that price level, it will seem affordable for hobbyists, no mention about professionals.

I can't imagine, like yourself, a hobbyist buy a USD15k support equipment, but hey, there are definitely these people out there. I know of small and good production companies that have an inventory far lesser than those of certain hobbyists.

They might develop Support systems for the rigs later. As users will get tired of holding it, requesting or DIY their own Support systems for the rig.

There already is one, but they haven't really caught one because of its initial target market, which are the shoulder-mount users.

Easy Rig

I was actually generalizing that most hobbyist won't buy. You mentioning that m5 IS for hobbyist. It's a big difference in that sentence.

I agree there will be some rich hobbyist buying this but if u say m5 will be sold to hobbyist, that means 75% of m5 sales is to people who don't earn from their vid work. That i completely disagree for a $10k item. It's just my own market understanding.

Do note we are talking about videography here. Not photography. I know many hobby ppl using 1dx and they can't shoot for nuts. But that's photo. Different.

You just don't see video hobbyist buying c500. Or would I say, generally, most of c500 sales ain't to that target market.

Just the same that hobbyist don't buy steadicams. The few guys with myself that uses steadicams, non are hobbyists. It's essentially the same thing as movi, a support device, not even a camera itself.

My 2cents. Don't have anymore to say to this.

Back to the topic, from the NAB 2013 videos, it seems that this thingy is quite heavy looking. Not as light as I imagine. The guy demoing is bulit like a hulk. Hmmmm.