Muvo Microdrive - do help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wainism

Apr 15, 2004
Beeshan
hi, been reading alot abt extracting the muvo microdrive and using it for their digi cams.
does the 1.5gb model work too, i mean is the 1.5 gb one a micro drive as well?
what formats does this muvo accept? cos thinking of extracting the 1.5gb and replacing with another CF card. but then heard it only accepts micro drives?
any ideas? :dunno:

wainism said:
hi, been reading alot abt extracting the muvo microdrive and using it for their digi cams.
does the 1.5gb model work too, i mean is the 1.5 gb one a micro drive as well?
what formats does this muvo accept? cos thinking of extracting the 1.5gb and replacing with another CF card. but then heard it only accepts micro drives?
any ideas? :dunno:

Why bother ? The 1.5GB Muvo is around $300++. You can buy a 2nd hand 1GB MD for around $160-180. $300++ buys you almost 2GB worth of MDs. This makes the Muvo a more expensive and more risky venture. If you are going the muvo route, at least take a 4 GB one for $420 or so. Much more bang for buck, and at least worth the risk.

The 1.5 Gb version is not a Hitachi MD, according to what I read. HGST only manufactures their MD in capacities of 1, 2 and 4 GB at the moment.

go with the 4GB model. more value for money. IMO, anything past 1GB, the $/MB is not economical anymore, compared to the 4GB MD. of course, if u do go for the 4GB MD, then u must learn to take extra care for it as it doesn't like hard shocks/knocks.

check out helmetbox's thread in buy/sell should u decided to buy? he does the extraction for a minimal fee, and if u wish to, he can sell u the muvo shell with a smaller CF card. ;)

well,
if you're getting the 1.5Gb MUVO^2 from the Starhub promo,
it's still worth it..
best still sell the 1.5Gb ver and get the 4Gb ver to dig out the MD.
hahah ;p

I agree...

Sell off the 1.5Gb Muvo and top up a bit to get the 4Gb version... then rip out the 4Gb Drive and put in a standard 256Mb Sandisk CF card.

Way to go..... :think:

Hi,
Anyone has tried using MP3 player's microdrive in digital camera?

From http://www.steves-digicams.com/microdrive.html, Steve mentions he has not heard anyone who has made an Apple iPod Mini 4GB drive works in a digicam. Is the Apple drive similar to Muvo?

I'm new to this MD, Muvo stuff ... :)

lwm said:
Hi,
Anyone has tried using MP3 player's microdrive in digital camera?

From http://www.steves-digicams.com/microdrive.html, Steve mentions he has not heard anyone who has made an Apple iPod Mini 4GB drive works in a digicam. Is the Apple drive similar to Muvo?

I'm new to this MD, Muvo stuff ... :)

yup, me happy user of the hitachi 4GB MD with my 300D. :D

i heard iPod mini uses the same hitachi MD. but, think apple did something to it so that people cannot remove the drive. so far, the only confirm 'removeable' MD is creative's muvo2. if u want to get one, try checking out helmetbox's thread in buy/sell. he offers the extraction service, and if u wish to pay a bit more, he'll put in a smaller CF card into the muvo shell.

FOrget about iPod. It's too expensive. And it's too beautiful to take apart. The Muvo on the other hand is worth the time and effort.

The microdrives in the iPod Mini and the newer Muvo2 4GB model WILL NOT work with any digital camera.

I heard creative has worked on the ripping Muvo.. The MD extracted would fail to work after that. When is that batch on the market or is it already on the market? :(

Guess those were only rumours. Just got my 4GB Muvo today for $249 and took out the MD. No problems using it on my D100. Yup....managed to successfully :D bid for it during the Creative sale.

Also heard rumours that Creative was gonna solder the MD to the circuit board, but when I took the thing apart, it wasn't soldered at all.

The only thing now is to find another CF card that will work with the Muvo. Does anyone have any experience on this that they can share with us ???

raychan said:
Guess those were only rumours. Just got my 4GB Muvo today for $249 and took out the MD. No problems using it on my D100. Yup....managed to successfully :D bid for it during the Creative sale.

so cheap?!?!?
care to share with us where you get it from?
I need 1 very soon.

Thanks

kawan said:
so cheap?!?!?
care to share with us where you get it from?
I need 1 very soon.

Thanks

he probably got it from the sms star buy thingie

1.5gb muvo2 is a cornice hdd inside. not a microdive so don't rip it apart.

Arggggghhh!!!!! :cry:
I just bought a Muvo2 and extracted the 4gb MD and it doesn't work in my D70!!!
Another one I bought 2 months ago was working fine...

Creative/Hitachi definitely changed something in there last batches...
My product number finishes with "45C". I'm reading this from http://www.steves-digicams.com/microdrive.html

"now it looks like all of the new MuVo players are also using incompatible 4GB drives. Before buying one on eBay make sure that the last three digits of the model number are 41C, 42B, or 43B - these are usable, the 44C drives are not. "

Is there any work around???

In anycase, DO NOT BUY ANYMORE MUVO2 FOR IT'S 4Gb MD!!!

Thomas.

Anyone knows if the Muvos in the shops now have the incompatible microdrives?

Got the free 1.5Gb Muvo from starhub, can it be ripped?

1.5GB Muvo harddisk is not a Type II card. It dimension is much smaller than Compact Flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.