Must it be white?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamadam

Feb 9, 2004
Perth
www.flickr.com
So I just gaffered my 70-200... thought it'll look nicer in black.

Canon claims to have made the telephoto lenses white for a reason,
Has anyone experienced negative effects of gaffering a white lens black?

Perhaps on a hot day, does the hotter surface caused by black gaffer instead of a white surface cause any malfunction?

Please share :D

Canon claims to have made the telephoto lenses white for a reason,
Has anyone experienced negative effects of gaffering a white lens black?

Yes. People might think you're shooting a Nikon ;p

Canon also claims that white absorbs less heat, so there'll be less distortion due to thermal expansion of optical elements. So now you can only shoot at night if you want sharp pictures.

I don't know of anyone trying to test that claim. If true, it would also mean that I should transport those long lenses in an ice chest with temperature kept at a constant 20 degrees C (or whatever temperature they calibrated the lens at). Maybe I'll build a water cooling jacket for my lenses. It also means that with global warming, sharp images are going to be a thing of the past. So, remember, guys and girls, it's not your camera back-focusing, it's climate change.

Last edited:
LAWL. Water cooling jacket was running through my mind while reading your post, then you mentioned it :D haha

I'll find out whether it has any effect once I finish this roll of film :D

LAWL. Water cooling jacket was running through my mind while reading your post, then you mentioned it :D haha

Seriously though, if there's a water cooling jacket for people, I'm so getting one for Singapore.

Seriously though, if there's a water cooling jacket for people, I'm so getting one for Singapore.

I looking more towards a 'Air-Con Suit'....... powered by Solar Energy, of course :sweatsm:

I looking more towards a 'Air-Con Suit'....... powered by Solar Energy, of course :sweatsm:

Spray water and let it evaporate! Evaporative cooling! horhor
Oh, but water doesn't seem to evaporate too well in Singapore since it's so humid. I realise this when I sweat and it just drips/pours.

They make the L lens weatherproof so you can evaporative cool.

HMMM! no other experiences?

Spray water and let it evaporate! Evaporative cooling! horhor
Oh, but water doesn't seem to evaporate too well in Singapore since it's so humid. I realise this when I sweat and it just drips/pours.

They make the L lens weatherproof so you can evaporative cool.

HMMM! no other experiences?

Hahaha..... at $1K or more for each L lens.... I won't want to put their 'Weatherproof' claim to the test :sweat:

It's like a ///M badge on BMWs :bsmilie:

I had it tested on mine a month after i got it... with beer!

Wow..... :eek: Money TOO Enough iszit.... hahaha :bsmilie:

But how ?? Is their 'Weather Proof' claim really as good as they said ??

Last edited:
Wow..... :eek: Money TOO Enough iszit.... hahaha :bsmilie:

But how ?? Is their 'Weather Proof' claim really as good as they said ??

Crazy people.... pour it on...it wasn't just drip drip....:bheart:

Straight after the pic taken and the roudy crowd gone, I wiped it with my shirt and wiped more with a damp cloth when I got home. The body wasn't weatherproof, but it only got on the lens.

drunkards.jpg

Was so ;( but thinking, better that it was on this lens, and not my others (which wouldn't survive as well)

Crazy people.... pour it on...it wasn't just drip drip....:bheart:

Straight after the pic taken and the roudy crowd gone, I wiped it with my shirt and wiped more with a damp cloth when I got home. The body wasn't weatherproof, but it only got on the lens.

drunkards.jpg

Was so ;( but thinking, better that it was on this lens, and not my others (which wouldn't survive as well)

Hahaha.... thats Ang Mor for you. :sweat:

Oie! I thought u want to gaffer ur lens in checkered burberrys fabric??

NOOOOooooo!

It's gotta be a Tweety Bird pattern, or Tweety doing Hello Kitty all in
HAWT PEEEENNNNNNKKKKKKKKKK!
:devil:

How could you even think of any other pattern?:sticktong

BLASPHEMY!!!:hung:

NOOOOooooo!

It's gotta be a Tweety Bird pattern, or Tweety doing Hello Kitty all in
HAWT PEEEENNNNNNKKKKKKKKKK!
:devil:

How could you even think of any other pattern?:sticktong

BLASPHEMY!!!:hung:

Well,he wanted it in burberrys or LV various designs. Actually his lens will look better in purple, just like Barney~ How abt purple and green?? Milosaurus Barney!!!! :p

Last edited:
Well,he wanted it in burberrys or LV various designs. Actually his lens will look better in purple, just like Barney~ How abt purple and green?? Milosaurus Barney!!!! :p

Yeah?

Hmm...interesting. I guess the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L lans could look nice covered with a Purple Barney doing the Green Milowalrus. Potential marketing idea!

We could sell that Gaffer tape to all schools, and it will be a hit cos all the parents would be 'stealin some' for their own *ehempleasureehem* use.

Yeah?

Hmm...interesting. I guess the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L lans could look nice covered with a Purple Barney doing the Green Milowalrus. Potential marketing idea!

We could sell that Gaffer tape to all schools, and it will be a hit cos all the parents would be 'stealin some' for their own *ehempleasureehem* use.

Remember to patent it.

WHEN I FIND THE APPROPRIATE PATTERNED GAFFER ;)

MAYBE I CAN WRAP IT IN SPAM!!!!!!!!!!

IT'LL BE BLACK FOR NOW, BUT DM SENT ME LINKS TO SOME NICE LOOKING PRO-GAFF I MAY CHECK OUT! LAWL

zz

Status
Not open for further replies.