Must do in San Diego ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

furball

Sep 20, 2004
Stalking me ???
Me heading there on conference trip in couple of weeks. But might not much time to venture around to the neighbouring states becos schedule is very tight. So have to stay in San Diego.
girl_mad.gif
And I havent done my research of that place ...
kez_06.gif

Anyone been there ? What are the must do/must take photo places there ? Would be staying at Holiday Inn.

Help greatly appreciated.
curtsey.gif

Must buy lotsa presents come back give me :lovegrin:

Will you be driving? If not, not a whole lot you can do.
Goto Black Beach, the couty end not the city end. :)
La Jolla is very nice seaside town/resort area.
If you have a day or so, drive out to Josha Tree National Park, great for photography.
Zoo, as raptor mentioned.

Must try Mexican food! yum yum. There are 2 types, tex-mex and real mex. Tex-mex is very good, it's mexican food adopted by locals and Mexicans who settled in the US, typically Texas, Arizonia and Southern California. Real mex, no explanation necessary, and it's delicious. The problem is you will never want to try mexican food again here in Singapore.

If you are into hot food, do try Habanero chilli. 9 alarms fire hot ;)

espn said:
Must buy lotsa presents come back give me :lovegrin:
WLL ... :sticktong

raptor84 said:
Is the san deigo zoo near where you are? That place shloud be a must
site...
What with that zoo huh ? :dunno:It is like one of the must visit zoo in the world.

Dont think would be driving. Would be travelling alone, most probably. :cry:

Yes the San Deigo Zoo is supposed to be one of the best. They have a park around the area too thats like a safari :D

Looks like need to bring a long lens there liaos ... :(

espn said:
Just a Sandisk Extreme IV 32GB will do.. :lovegrin:

reminder for FB : Bring back 32MB for ESPN :devil:

furball said:
Places/Things to go/do

1) Black Beach
2) La Jolla
3) Josha Tree National Park
4) Zoo
5) Try Mexican food

Found this gosandiego card http://www.gosandiegocard.com/
Worth getting ? :dunno:
Only if you have the time + luxury of full 24 hours a day to yourself.

Think you can also go to the San Diego bay to go whale watching...but really depends on ur luck...the last time I went in late 03...waited like 4hrs...then see a tail only...heh...guess not my lucky day...heh....

furball said:
Places/Things to go/do

1) Black Beach
2) La Jolla
3) Josha Tree National Park
4) Zoo
5) Try Mexican food

Found this gosandiego card http://www.gosandiegocard.com/
Worth getting ? :dunno:

I think Joshua Tree is too far out of the way, unless he has a whole day to spend driving out there, sight see and then drive back.

Balboa park is not too bad. La Jolla is pretty cool but be prepared to pay a little more for food and drinks, just because it is La Jolla. Ask around for good Mexican food, you don't find good Mexican food in a fancy restaurant, it'll probably be some hole-in-the-wall in the least expected places. If they have the Green Chilli Burrito and the Tacos do try it, youwill not regret it.

The Gas Lamp district is also pretty nice, lots of pubs, clubs around the area. Ask the locasl where the best places to go for food, drink and sight-seeing. Almost forgot Coronado is alswo worth a visit.

Just a word of caution, if you are driving around, keep the doors locked and the windows up. And please don't wander around at night alone, also find out from the front desk places to avoid and always check your 6 o'clock.

So have fun enjoy the sights and be safe.

a zoo is a zoo is a zoo ...
skip the zoo I say ..
I've lived for 4 years, and only once I went there..nice, but not that nice.
The zoo is near Balboa Park, this you should go .. inside there are about 7 museums, and there is the MOPA, Museum of Photography Arts !
The Park itself is big, wonderful buildings, dog park, archery range.. just go there and walk around, you will find tons of photo material !
Usually there are some events...(free)
ALso worth visiting, if you are interested in aircraft, is the SD Aerospace museum , quite close from Balboa Park... ever seen a F4 Phantom, PBY Catalina, Cobra and a Mig INDOOR ?
Pay attention to the guides, especially the old ones... most of them are veteran pilot themselves, some are WW II vets.
Also, from the park, you can see a tall building with sign 'El Cortez' downtown..you can walk there.
The hotel itself is so so, but pay attention to the sign.. it's unique.

Just google 'Balboa Park San Diego' and see for yourself...

Holiday inn.. it's in the downtown area.. the closest interesting place is the Del Coronado Island, you can take the bus or the ferry .. visit the Del Coronado hotel, and say hi to Kate Smith .. (the resident ghost)
Oh the Coronado island also house a Naval Base, and there's the Navy SEAL base.. but might be hard to enter these days.. it used to be a tour inside the base before 9/11..

And there's the aircraft carrier/museum at downtown area...

La Jolla... want to meet Ken Rockwell for photo tips ? :)
La Jolla is far away from downtown ..

about food... of course there's Mexican, but the best Burrito is far away from downtown..
and don't forget, Vietnamese Food... I can't find better Viet food anywhere !
Unfortunately, the best places is quite far, Phuong Trang at Convoy Street area ..

Look, if you are taking the public transportation, it's gonna take a long time to get anywhere. SD is a wide, sparse area.. there's bus every 30 minute.
Taxy ? only in downtown area.
So, rent a car there...there are dozens car rental downtown.. just make sure you buy the insurance.

If you like ice cream, visit the Ghiralldelli (forgot the spelling) near Horton PLaza (downtown) ...even walking around near Horton is a good photo ops..
Just be careful with the camera, because as far as I know (forgive me if I generalise), Singaporeans tends to feel safe everywhere because Singapore IS a safe place.
Well, downtown area is safe, but be please be careful ..

If you want to see the back side of America that most tourist don't usually see, take the Trolley (MRT) to La Mesa ... on the way, you can see the not so glamorous side of USA.

Wah, thanks for the pointers.

Is it really that unsafe in SD ? Me gal, travelling alone :embrass:

furball said:
Wah, thanks for the pointers.

Is it really that unsafe in SD ? Me gal, travelling alone :embrass:
Bring me along... :D I go with you :lovegrin:

furball said:
Travel with u safe meh ? :sticktong
Of course safe... I go around help you take the pics and visit the place, you stay in the lodgings can liao :D

Status
Not open for further replies.