Music used in TCS trailers (Rant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rant Warning

Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by this?

Why does TCS insist on using music taken from (relatively recent) movies and add these pieces of music to the trailers of upcoming insipid local serials or movies that are going to show on the TCS channels?

Where is the originality?
What the hell does the music have to do with the TV show at all?!
Kill Bill pieces for local serials?! WTF?!
I'm sure Tarantino would be flattered (Insert extreme dripping sarcasm here.)

But I just heard/saw something that really takes the cake.
A trailer for MIB2 that was using a piece from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Doesn't MIB2 have its own soundtrack? Couldn't they have used something from that?

Where is the connection between the 2 movies?!
Arrrggghhhh!! Cognitive Dissonance!

Rant Off

We now return you to your regular broadcasting schedule :bsmilie:

TCS = Totally Cannot See

The lack of originality has been going on for a long time.

TCS or MediaCorp (whatever it's called now) may have won the best TV broadcaster award in Asia but it's only in Asia. It's all overhyped, just like many other things about S'pore (including its multi-racial harmony).

Originality and creativity in the arts and media is still lacking all over Asia (except maybe Japan which is more correctly known as a Pacific-region nation).

Strange, I happen to think that the quality of the trailers on MediaCorp have improved tremendously, especially in the past 2 years or so.

Oh but I am only a media student, what do I know. (Insert extreme dripping sarcasm here.)

Ok lah guyz. I think give Mediacorp (or TCS, or SBC whatever u like to call it) a break.

I'm not sure how many of u here are avid Japanese Pop fans. But take Japan Hour showing on CNA as an example, I recognised several tunes and jingles from Anime Soundtracks! Of cos, u'll have to be hardcore enuff to be able to actually recognise some of those tunes.

Taiwan serials are no exception as well. Since Taiwanese pop cultures closely mirrors that of Japanese pop cultures. There are times when I'm able to catch several familiar jingles and tunes from Anime OSTs playing in a Taiwanese Serial!

Of cos, I was a little perturbed when I actually heard the finale for Star Wars Episode I being played for a trailer for last year's NDP (I'm not sure how many of u can actually remember it. But Star Wars soundtracks stick to my mind like epoxy glue)! :eek: Its not like we're celebrating the fall of an Evil Empire or the defeat of a Trade Federation.

I observed that they like using the soundtrack from The Last Mohicans in so many of their shows, so much so that I really can puke!

I must be "hardcore enough" then! My younger bro and I actually heard some really familliar tunes on Japan Hour and we thought, "nah, couldn't be naruto, no wait... omg it is! omg! nan dattebayo!"

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Waffle said:
I must be "hardcore enough" then! My younger bro and I actually heard some really familliar tunes on Japan Hour and we thought, "nah, couldn't be naruto, no wait... omg it is! omg! nan dattebayo!"

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:
Ahh... a fellow anime soundtrack lover.

Soundtrack from Mahoromatic, Ai Yori Aoshi detected in Japan Hour as well.
Taiwanese cheesy serials like Ah Cheng or Pi Li Huo use soundtrack from Aa! Megami sama. :D

If the broadcasters brought the rights to the picture and sound I suppose there shldn't be a problem.

In this case, its Mediacorp's problem to solve. Not ours. Not as if we're gonna get sued for watching the trailers! :D

Mediacorp(se) has bought blanket copyright which enables them to use any soundtrack they like and not get sued.

... Well, maybe the producers interpreted the songs differently so they used the soundtrack for everything else.

Hey, give them some credit. I thought one of the Lost trailers was pretty well done. (if it was done by them)

radedward said:
Rant Warning

Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by this?

Why does TCS insist on using music taken from (relatively recent) movies and add these pieces of music to the trailers of upcoming insipid local serials or movies that are going to show on the TCS channels?

Where is the originality?
What the hell does the music have to do with the TV show at all?!
Kill Bill pieces for local serials?! WTF?!
I'm sure Tarantino would be flattered (Insert extreme dripping sarcasm here.)

But I just heard/saw something that really takes the cake.
A trailer for MIB2 that was using a piece from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Doesn't MIB2 have its own soundtrack? Couldn't they have used something from that?

Where is the connection between the 2 movies?!
Arrrggghhhh!! Cognitive Dissonance!

Rant Off

We now return you to your regular broadcasting schedule :bsmilie:

Since you are so disturbed by what they have created, why not come out with some solution to resolve this issue? Give them some suggestions to improve or correct "these" things that you have pointed out. Maybe they would improve and you would see less of such incident. Wouldn't that be more helpful?

bartman said:
Since you are so disturbed by what they have created, why not come out with some solution to resolve this issue? Give them some suggestions to improve or correct "these" things that you have pointed out. Maybe they would improve and you would see less of such incident. Wouldn't that be more helpful?

It's the land of the Franken-trailers!
There is only one solution to all of this.
We must raise an angry mob with torches and pitchforks and hunt down these trailers and destroy them for the greater good! :bsmilie:

I'm not a media student so I wouldn't know where to start to advise mediacorp ;p

Actually, these trailers are only a symptom of a bigger problem. Most of what you see on tv is because of the public or what mediacorp thinks that the public wants. No one really has the courage to change for the better if it cannot be proven that the change will really be for the better, especially when money is at stake.

Lots and lots of money.

Mediacorp had their chance when they were a monopoly to change things for the better, to create something more intellectual for the market, or at least, show intellectual shows like West Wing at decent hours.

They didn't.

That ship has left the harbour when cable came along.

To be fair, they admitted that even with these shows at the prime time belt, they weren't getting the ratings they were expected to, so these shows got shipped to ungodly hours. You can't really fault mediacorp for the inadequacies of the average man.

My advice to mediacorp, which probably won't be taken:
Be brave, create something different and witty and unique, and stick with it.
The shows that we have do win awards but only because the competition is so bad. It's like going to a Dog show and being the only live dog there when all the other dogs are dead.

In the meantime, for the discerning consumer,

More DVD, Less TV. :bsmilie:

Poledra said:
Mediacorp(se) has bought blanket copyright which enables them to use any soundtrack they like and not get sued.

... Well, maybe the producers interpreted the songs differently so they used the soundtrack for everything else.

Hey, give them some credit. I thought one of the Lost trailers was pretty well done. (if it was done by them)

i cant remember the title of the song that they used for the Lost Trailer (but its on MTV, and its damn good)) but basically, its just symptomatic of a larger problem, that is, of trying to play up the watchability of the crap that they are dumping on us. dun get me wrong, Heartlanders is probably a right step for the local scene but using Kill Bill soundtracks to advertise it really takes the cake....Mediacorp is now sitting smugly where Singtel used to be before M1 and StarHub came along....

talking about anime, how soon do you guys think before they use the soundtrack from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex to plug a local sitcom? hahahahaha...damn, love that soundtrack...anybody think that part of it is in Russian?

Actually I noticed many US movie trailers using a music extract from Dragonheart for many years. I've noticed HK serials using extracts from US movies too.

In general, the MediaCorp trailers have improved in quality over the last few years.

I used to be very peeved about this issue too until I discovered that Mediacorp has the rights to use movie soundtracks in their trailers. Apparently, it is acceptable for any terrestial broadcast station to use not more than 30 seconds (which is the length of a trailer) of any piece of commercial music in their trailers/promos.

Anyway, all the trailers you see on Ch5, be it for movies or TV series, are edited locally.

OT for a while here. Although some people may find it trivial, I cannot stand the fact the Ch5 cuts short the end credits of movies to just less than 30 seconds, so that they can squeeze in more ads. I noe not many people may like to watch the end credits, but its like not giving credit to the people who work on the film.

Its like a newspaper article without a byline, or an exhibited work without the artist's name.

They also like to rob the very dramatic music from Aliens (Part 2), where near to the end of the show, ripley, bishop, and newt were flying out of the planet juz b4 it explodes...

gnail said:
OT for a while here. Although some people may find it trivial, I cannot stand the fact the Ch5 cuts short the end credits of movies to just less than 30 seconds, so that they can squeeze in more ads. I noe not many people may like to watch the end credits, but its like not giving credit to the people who work on the film.

Its like a newspaper article without a byline, or an exhibited work without the artist's name.

This matter also caught my attention. I really wonder if cutting short the credits is ethical but even my sister who studied journalism doesn't know if it's ok although she had this suspicion that it's unorthodox or a grey area.

It's like "finders are keepers", is it really ok to keep the money found in a lost bag/wallet?

Status
Not open for further replies.