music players & in ear headphones

denniskee

Oct 26, 2003
bukit batok
Visit site
New to this thing lar. If I get a higher end IE like the X10, XBA4 or IE8S, will it be overkill to use it with note 2? If so, what device should I be looking at to match those IE?
I am currently using CMK55 with comply foam with note 2, had CX300II & E10. But I still find the sound I getting is not open enough. Sometime bass is muddy.
I listen to any music that comes my way.
Advice much appreciated.

Last edited:
Best music players are Sony Walkman Z, Cowon and iRiver.

I'm using Westone 4 IEM... good for MP3 Player and Handphone too... but your MP3 better be of higher bit rate than 128kbps... or the bad quality could be heard way too easily with a good pair of IEM...

music players & in ear headphones: dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians. I have come across so many who crossed the road totally immersed in their music, and oblivious to the surrounding.

I'm using Westone 4 IEM... good for MP3 Player and Handphone too... but your MP3 better be of higher bit rate than 128kbps... or the bad quality could be heard way too easily with a good pair of IEM...

Using this too, really nice.

If I use galaxy note 2, is it a waste to go for the higher end IEM?

Some mid-price ones are really good so when you pay more the difference becomes more incremental.
Multi-IEM Review - 273 IEMs compared (VSonic VC02 Added 02/24/13 p.641)
Shootout: 107 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Astrotec AS-100HD & AS-200HD added 12/02/12)

music players & in ear headphones: dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians. I have come across so many who crossed the road totally immersed in their music, and oblivious to the surrounding.

Look at it as some form of natural selection :bsmilie:

Have used d-Jays in the past. This is quite open in my opinion. Clarity is great, however since it's just a single BA, it's not really for the bass head.

Currently using Phonak Audeo 012 perfect bass.

IMHO the best I tried so far is q-Jays. Dual BA but price is way out of my budget. At least I prefer that one over Sony's dual BA IEM.

Other than Stereo, can go to Jaben store at Adelphi mall as well to try them.

Good luck, and remember to be careful on the road walking / driving / cycling wearing them!

Last edited:
UncleFai said:

Agree totally. It is quite prevalent. In addition, I get the feeling that a lot of users don't realise that using earphones at loud levels is asking for noise induced deafness on later life.

Bit rates is more important than your player. My songs are either ripped into lossless from CDs or listening through spotify at 320kbps. I've owned various pair of high-end IEMs the past few years and am now using the UE11 with the iPhone 5.

Last edited:
Had my Shure e3c for the longest time until the tip broke (no idea how that happened)
Currently using Etymotic HF5 because music preferences have changed somewhat, and maybe with age, my ears can't quite detect that extra fidelity
Am surprised that there's great value for money; competition and technology has really driven the prices down
The guys at Stereo were great - friendly, patient and left me be with the ones I wanted to try out

Does it means player not as important as bit rate? Galaxy note 2 has so many sound effects. Can I rate it as such

Most important is bit rate.
Fellow by player
IEM is least important. (Since many reviews state those $60 - $120 range actually very close to those higher end IEM)

Last edited:
denniskee said:
Does it means player not as important as bit rate? Galaxy note 2 has so many sound effects. Can I rate it as such

Fellow by player
IEM is least important. (Since many reviews state those $60 - $120 range actually very close to those higher end IEM)

Earpiece / bitrate. They co-exist. They affect each other. A high-end earpiece with a low bitrate sounds bad. A high bitrate with cheap apple earbuds will still sounds bad. Sound effect reduces overall quality.

The higher the price, the lesser improvement you gain. Try them out yourself, don't judge by reviews, judge by your ears. If you can't tell a difference then stick with what you have. Reviews of these stuffs are subjective, not everyone view things the same.

so it means bit rate & IEM more critical. Player not so important (as in mobile phone vs MP3 player)? I asking because it makes lots of different between having to bring another device out everyday & to have to remember to charge it every few days, not to mention $$.

sibei chim leh.......

6a00d83533a43669e200e554e927b18833-800wi

Last edited:

Fellow by player

You might want to add a portable amp too, even the cable type connecting the amp to the player, or the IEM's cable also affect the quality, if your ear can differentiate it.