Multiuple Images

Status
Not open for further replies.

scapetist

Apr 3, 2008
Hey guys..

I saw my dad done this before long ago so i'm wondering how to go about doing it..

He managed to get a single photo of me walking from one end to the other end.. and in the process i'm leaving a trail (shadow) of myself.

I'm not sure about the camera's setting but i'm sure the flash unit flashed alot of times during the shutter if pressed. Like for eg if flash unit flashed 5 times, u have a trail of 5 images..

Anyone can kindly tell me what kind of pictures is this called? Dont think its multiple exposure cause its juz one shot.

Can someone kindly advice me on how its done? That time it was done on the F4 and Sb-26.. issit possible for it to be done on digital now?

Thanks~

The D200, D300 and above cameras has a function in the camera where you can do multiple exposures in 1 frame.

For the D300, you can find that option in the shooting menu, and can choose from 2 to 10 exposures in a frame.

I've tried it out previously just for fun, and deleted the pic after that, so got nothing to show you, but you can do a search on the web for people who have tried it.

The D200 brochure has a section talking about the multiple exposure and has a dancer dressed in red in different poses in a frame. They also used it to do overlay, where one shot was on a music score, and another was on the dancer, in one frame.

I know that the multiple exposure can use to achieve that.

but my dad got it done on film format..

i know it has something to do with the speedlight.. but aint really sure what are the exact settings..

also, multiple exposure does not leave a trail of shadowy images.. it only place the object in another position.

Erm.. I think i got it..

Its called Repeating Flash.

anyone still use that nowadays?

Last edited:

not sure what Nikon calls it but for Canon it's Stroboscopic mode..

I think to get what you are looking for is to have the shutter open with a smaller aperture, and using flash to illuminate a moving subject, and then you get the image you are looking for.

This same technique can be applied in other ways, e.g. go to a dark area, open the shutter in bulb mode, and use your flash to illuminate the areas you want to illuminate. Have seen some coll pictures using this technique.

Can this method be done in daylight? Say, if I use a card to act as a shutter.

possibly, but you'll prob need some ND filters and strobes to get the shutter speed low enough and yet have adequate flash power..

possible to share how this was done? cam on tripod, slow sync flash?

Just click the picture. The author had linked it to his Flickr site with description of how it was done. :)

I think to get what you are looking for is to have the shutter open with a smaller aperture, and using flash to illuminate a moving subject, and then you get the image you are looking for.

This same technique can be applied in other ways, e.g. go to a dark area, open the shutter in bulb mode, and use your flash to illuminate the areas you want to illuminate. Have seen some coll pictures using this technique.

Yeah that's what i meant.

Cause sometimes when in low lighting conditions MX cant comes into play..

for that to be done most of e time u need a tripod.. unless u really have very stable hands for like 1 sec? haha.

eh a holga can do this :p

but im trying to learn how to do this on my canon

Status
Not open for further replies.