Multiples of the same person in the one photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilmerlin

Jul 26, 2002
Woodlands
I think this is the right place for this question.

Anyway, I've seen some very nice and creative portraitures where the same person appears in the photograph multiple times in different positions (best I can describe it sorry!) and am very curious to know how its done.

So you start off with say 3 photographs of the same scene but the person in 3 different positions. Now what? You stack? Blend?

I think this is the right place for this question.

Anyway, I've seen some very nice and creative portraitures where the same person appears in the photograph multiple times in different positions (best I can describe it sorry!) and am very curious to know how its done.

So you start off with say 3 photographs of the same scene but the person in 3 different positions. Now what? You stack? Blend?

hmm 1 way is to set the camera on tripod and then shoot 3 times with you in different positions
after that layer the 3 pics and erase the part where u were standing

Another way, if your flash supports it, is to set it to strobe at, say, 1 Hz, open shutter for 5 seconds, and change your position between flashes.

Many ways to skin a cat. Post a link to the image you're interested in and let's try to reverse engineer it.

I usually do it as Redsun suggested, however, I would recommend taking another shot of the empty scene first, then start positioning your model at the various positions.

One thing to note, try and make sure your exposure is consistent, (try not to change any settings between shots unless "really" needed) as this will help a lot when you are PS-ing the different photos together. Inconsistent exposure will make your layering quite troublesome. :)

Thanks all, I'm still trying to locate a picture as an example but have no luck so far the description doesn't yield alot of results. I definitely remember seeing one in the Portraits section though.

Yet another way is to use panoramic shots. Basically, as you move pan your camera from left to right, you re-situate yourself with each shot. The effect will be different as compared since this time you're getting a (very) wide-angle shot with multiple Yous from left to right.:)

That was my first thought as well when I saw the photographs but I reckon they'll end up too wide. Perhaps a "panorama" in portrait mode would work.

Edit: Results! How some of the most improbable search terms turns up the most interesting results...I've found a video that shows how its done in GIMP but should be easy converting for PS. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5013057959851701479&hl=en-CA

Last edited:
you mean like this? ;p

But you can certainly do better than this. my frends are impatient type and dont like to take pictures. So I only have a few minutes to do it. oh...they said dont ever show this to other people...thats why u see black spots :bsmilie:

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

Yes! Exactly like this! First one is fantastic though! Interesting poses by your friend!

Evilmerlin said:
Yes! Exactly like this! First one is fantastic though! Interesting poses by your friend!

I did something like this before.. but i stiched mine in panaromic mode.. just get your models to pose in different ways and take photos like you'll shoot pana shots.. thats how i did mine.. if you wanna see the pic, drop me a pm and i'll send u the link..

:bsmilie:His pose of climbing the tree is very funny. :thumbsup: :bsmilie:

Yeah, that must be the Koala technique :bsmilie: So are you going to keep us in suspense on how you did it? My guess is manual exposure, tripod mounted, multiple exposures, layering in Photoshop.

When I saw the blacked-out face, I thought it was some ninja pose :)

yep. Manual mode. on tripod and just take a few pictures. Since it is on the tripod, the pictures are very easy to superimpose. Just layer them all in PS and erase the portions to reveal the people :)

csi_serangoon_small_.jpg

multi_small_.jpg

hehe ;p

to avoid those complications with exposure, just use photoshop.. just layer shots of your subjects in different positions, add a layer mask then use a black (or white can't remember) brush to reveal the layer beneath, repeat the process for the number of shots that you have, then tadah there you have it.

csi_serangoon_small_.jpg

multi_small_.jpg

hehe ;p

to avoid those complications with exposure, just use photoshop.. just layer shots of your subjects in different positions, add a layer mask then use a black (or white can't remember) brush to reveal the layer beneath, repeat the process for the number of shots that you have, then tadah there you have it.

wow impressive..
pic 1 looks like CSI;p

lol i actually i titled it CSI:Serangoon

Wow! Nice stuff man! Gonna try this out once I get the time! Such a funky way of portraying photographs!

this reminds me of a starhub advertisment for the football season where 3 of the same person was watching soccer, bathing and doing something else, and all rush out when there was a goal.

maybe there should be a dedicated thread to do multiple same person frame creation. its a story and a class of its own

Status
Not open for further replies.