Multiple wireless 580EXs performance in outdoors

Status
Not open for further replies.

artemisbow

Oct 5, 2005
I would like to know any experiences with using 580EX Master on camera hotshoe, a 580EX off camera as Slave in group B, and a 580EX as Slave in group C in the outdoors with sun. Are there any difficulties in getting both remote flashes to fire? Must there be direct line of sight with photosensors of A-B and A-C? Or can slaves B & C read the flash coding fired by Master A reflected off objects like the ground?

google 12 580ex II should give you some results... i read a few bout those...

The 12 580ex thing seems to be all shot from the same position (from strobist website, 12 580ex in a frame each with a radiopopper). Really cool setup.

I'm interested in finding out if 580EX have problem communicating with the master speedlight mounted on the camera hotshoe in a sunny outdoor environment. Especially when the slaved 580ex photosensor is not in direct line of sight with the master 580ex that sends out the signalling preflashes. I also wanna know if the slaves can receive the master's signals indirectly, like reflection off the floor or wall. If it can, is it reliable? Has anyone here tried it out before?

Anyone? I don't wanna use RF triggers, yet. ^_^

you definately need line-of-sight to get the flashes triggering outdoors, indoors you may need not as the IR signals can bounce off walls just like visible light.. I have a few pics in the lighting setup thread that is Canon wireless triggered, my main irk abt the IR system is the line-of-sight problem you can't consistently trigger flashes behind in a indoors setting.. working distance outdoors you prob can get a good 10m depending on how strong the sun is..

Anyways i tested it out myself with 3 580EX, a 580 EXII and a ST-E2. Outdoors in the sun, ettl doesnt work reliabiliy even in short distances. No direct line of sight required, as long as the speedlight's photosensor can detect the preflash codings from the master unit. Works well indoors. Basically the lesser the ambient light, the better ettl works. There is no difference between 580EX and 580EXII in terms of wireless triggering reliability. The ST-E2 seems to have a poorer working distance compared to the speedlights acting as master. Hope this helps someone. Looks like RF triggers are more reliable outdoors.

I was once a big fan of wireless ETTL until I had more jobs outdoors. Its tough to trigger the slave flash outdoors due to ambient light. Indoors, it works flawlessly. I use more from my RF triggers due to reliability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.