Multiple Hard Disks Enclosure

iRaphael

Feb 23, 2007
Pandan Gardens
Hi people,

I currently have 2 3.5" 7200rpm hard disks totalling to 2.5GB.

However, I find it pretty troublesome to back up to separate hard disks.

I know there are multiple hard disk enclosures such as the Drobo, but it really is pretty ex.

Anyone has any ideas of a cheaper alternative? I don't need the hard disk, just the enclosure.

Would prefer one that has either a USB3.0 and/or a thunderbolt connection for high-speed transfers.

Thanks.

Quite a few from Buffalo, etc, available in any Challenger. Cheaper options at storage world in funan, etc

how about a USB3 docking station instead of enclosure.

Your hard disk are internal, right? Just make them raid 1, problem solves. Heh heh!

Hi people,

I currently have 2 3.5" 7200rpm hard disks totalling to 2.5GB.

However, I find it pretty troublesome to back up to separate hard disks.

I know there are multiple hard disk enclosures such as the Drobo, but it really is pretty ex.

Anyone has any ideas of a cheaper alternative? I don't need the hard disk, just the enclosure.

Would prefer one that has either a USB3.0 and/or a thunderbolt connection for high-speed transfers.

Thanks.

2.5TB right, my SD card is already 8GB

A good enclosure is not cheap, especially one that comes with thunderbolt.

Nexstar has reasonable prices. I have 1 2-bay dock, and 1 1-bay dock. With eSATA, USB3 and Firewire interfaces.
RAID cases are usually more expensive cos of the chip board needed for that RAID thingy.

iunspoken said:
Nexstar has reasonable prices. I have 1 2-bay dock, and 1 1-bay dock. With eSATA, USB3 and Firewire interfaces.
RAID cases are usually more expensive cos of the chip board needed for that RAID thingy.

nexstar sucks. cheap plastic. my first one came dead out of box after replaced nvr use already. but its cheap lol

yes, there is a typo. I meant TB.

Anyway. Both are external hard disks, and I intend to remove them from their enclosure.

What kind of docks are recommended?

get those 2-bay docks with copy function. saves you the headache when transferring stuff from a smaller HDD to a larger HDD as the copy function does not need a computer connection to work.

I started with 1x 2.5" 160GB, then when it is full I use 3.5" TB drives. Then I got a used Drobo 4-bay, then full again and I landed with an 8-bay NAS.

Sometimes you just need to invest when your data grows... Now my NAS runs on RAID6 and I have another Drobo to backup my NAS... Yes the Drobo and NAS are expensive but keeping multiple independent drives cost even more when it comes to backup and recovery.

Not exactly, while its true there are now nearly a dozen cloud storage providers offering free accounts, the max free storage is 5GB per provider. Not enough to store everything you have. Its more useful for storing confidential data and scanned documents, meaning you store your personal data in the 'cloud' only so that way even if you lose your laptop your confidential data won't fall into the wrong hands.

For backups there is lots of free cloud storage!

Not exactly, while its true there are now nearly a dozen cloud storage providers offering free accounts, the max free storage is 5GB per provider. Not enough to store everything you have. Its more useful for storing confidential data and scanned documents, meaning you store your personal data in the 'cloud' only so that way even if you lose your laptop your confidential data won't fall into the wrong hands.

Nah there are providers offering you more than 5GB! Just do a search to find providers offering you unlimited space. Note you can now own a domain and have pretty much unlimited hosting space.

If you're concerned about things being free - there are paid providers and space is cheap!

Do you know how slow it would be to upload 100-200gb of files?

I have FTPed 100s GB files to sites. It took a reasonably long time (think it was @3-4 hours via windows with an upload speed of @ 3MBs) However download speed was pretty fast. Been using Filezilla now and it is much better to move files around via this utility. Windows sucks!

Anyway if you have time on your hands, this is a cheap way to backup photos and videos and easier to share

It really is a great way to be free of your hardware.

Then perhaps you could please share the names of said cloud providers that you just mentioned?

Nah there are providers offering you more than 5GB! Just do a search to find providers offering you unlimited space. Note you can now own a domain and have pretty much unlimited hosting space.

If you're concerned about things being free - there are paid providers and space is cheap!

I have FTPed 100s GB files to sites. It took a reasonably long time (think it was @3-4 hours via windows with an upload speed of @ 3MBs) However download speed was pretty fast. Been using Filezilla now and it is much better to move files around via this utility. Windows sucks!

Anyway if you have time on your hands, this is a cheap way to backup photos and videos and easier to share

It really is a great way to be free of your hardware.

a) You can think of each free cloud provider as a category/directory for your different categories of pictures - so take up all the 5GB offers.

b) You can check out web hosting sites here: free domain hosting
Why go for a web hosting site? Cos they're giving away "cloud" storage. If you just want storage - have a reckie

I used to use free domain hosting and shared files on these sites but took the plunge to purchase domain hosting for further facilities (shopping carts, etc) and support.