multiple exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggitydang

Apr 30, 2006
hi..would like to ask..
when using a pinhole, if i want a double/multiple exposure.
how can it be done?
just dont forward the film and take few frames on that same frame?
hope someone can help clear my doubts..thanks..

diggitydang said:
hi..would like to ask..
how can it be done?

Multiple exposure is multiple exposures on the same frame. Some SLRs allow this.

diggitydang said:
hi..would like to ask..
how can it be done?

double/multiple exposures is means make two or more exposure on the same frame.

When you are shooting pinhole, mostly is long exposure, so if your pinhole camera has no shutter, just by using a black card, so you make double/multiple exposures by remove and re-cover the black card a few time for multiple exposures.

diggitydang said:
hi..would like to ask..
how can it be done?
I don't have much experience with pinhole - but I'd assume so!
I'd think that it involves taking a few frames on the same frame without forwarding the film.

_espn_ said:
Nope. Not all.

my A95 and my S9500, both allows multiple exposure... i was surprised to hear smtan24 said only some SLRs have that function.... hmmm....

Zaknafein said:
my A95 and my S9500, both allows multiple exposure... i was surprised to hear smtan24 said only some SLRs have that function.... hmmm....
You can try multiple exposures by flash.

Put your camera on tripod, set flash to Auto or Manual mode. Handheld flash. Set camera aperture according to flash's requirement. Set shutter speed to 'bulb'. It is better if you have shutter release cable, so you can open camera's shutter as long as you like.

Now, open camera's shutter by press shutter release cable. While camera's shutter is open, you can experiment by putting subject (say a lady) in the left, press flash button, subject in the center, press flash button, subject in the right, press flash button. Shut off the camera's shutter by releasing shutter release cable. You have triple exposures in a single photo.

Dark background will required to take multiples exposure by flash.

Regards,
Arto.

Zaknafein said:
Most SLRs are film advanced, and only certain models allows you to not advance the frame and carry on 'over-writing' the images.

FM cameras can do it without any setting since most of them requires manual turn of the film dial to advance the frame.

As for digital cameras, only a selected few can do it.

The concept of photography, if you break it down, is all about light hitting a light sensitive plane(film/photo paper etc). Therefore, assuming you are using a pinhole camera, all you need to do is expose for 1 image, block out the pinhole(black card or something), get another image and expose for that as well. That is your multiple exposure.

For manual film SLRs, then the choice is to NOT advance the film but c*ck the film advance lever to allow for a 2nd shot on the same frame as the previous image. Refer to your manual on how this is done but generally, it requires you to hold onto a small lever while advancing the film.

In the digital darkroom, use Photoshop layers and blending modes. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.