multiple exposure

Status
Not open for further replies.

stl

Apr 7, 2002
Visit site
can anyone teach me how to take multiple exposure? i tried to take 2 exposure in a single frame but it turns out that the subject got a "ghostly" effect (subject turns out abit transparent). Using Dynax 5 & i followed as stated in the manual...

what image were you hoping to achieve? i'm not sure if you're aware but transparency is what multiple exposure does... one image overlays the other. that's how many 'ghost" pictures are taken... :D

what i'm trying to achieve is having my subject appear 2 or more times in the picture. i understand i can use filters for my subject to appear twice (left and right) but what if i want the subject to appear more than twice?

well ideally your subject should be totally steer clear of each other (meaning you should gauge accurately where the positions are), otherwise you'll end up with merging body parts. :D

if you want your subject to appear more than twice, expose on the same frame the same number of times lor. i think these kinda shots work best with a dark background and a tripod to keep the camera stationary.

Originally posted by Larry
well ideally your subject should be totally steer clear of each other (meaning you should gauge accurately where the positions are), otherwise you'll end up with merging body parts. :D
Ya, this one i understand

if you want your subject to appear more than twice, expose on the same frame the same number of times lor. i think these kinda shots work best with a dark background and a tripod to keep the camera stationary.

But my subjects will still have the "ghostly" effect rite? The more times i want my subject to appear, the more "transparent" it gets rite?

Hi stl,

Shooting multiple exposure will unavoidably create the "ghostly" effect you mentioned unless you take care to block out the various parts where the subject will be at.

One way to do that is to fix your camera on tripod and take multile frames with your subject on different spots, and then merge the frames together in post-process. On prints this is done by dodging the areas where the subject is. With morden technology (ya, computers), you can just scan the frames in, mask out those spots, and then merge the frames together.

Streetshooter has done this before with his daughter as the subject. Search for his post and you'll find it.

Hope that helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.