Multi Coating damage due to rain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahguan

Nov 3, 2002
S'pore
Hi everyone

I was shooting at Marina and Esplanade yday. Sky was rather blue except for a few patches of clouds, so I was surprised that I felt some water droplets on my skin and thought it could be some slight rain. Anyway I didn't care much and continued shooting. I got some tiny drops on my filters but reckon I will clean them when I get home.

so imagine my disgust when these spots could not be cleaned off, not with water or cleaning fluid. it seems as tho the "rain drops" had dried up, and whatever chemical (could be acid rain, or someone cleaning the building exteriors spraying drops all over the air) got concentrated enough to damage the filter coating... at least that's what i think happened

dunno if its bcos i'm using cheap Hoya filters. lucky its only filters and not front element

any one else experience something like this?

Hi everyone

I was shooting at Marina and Esplanade yday. Sky was rather blue except for a few patches of clouds, so I was surprised that I felt some water droplets on my skin and thought it could be some slight rain. Anyway I didn't care much and continued shooting. I got some tiny drops on my filters but reckon I will clean them when I get home.

so imagine my disgust when these spots could not be cleaned off, not with water or cleaning fluid. it seems as tho the "rain drops" had dried up, and whatever chemical (could be acid rain, or someone cleaning the building exteriors spraying drops all over the air) got concentrated enough to damage the filter coating... at least that's what i think happened

dunno if its bcos i'm using cheap Hoya filters. lucky its only filters and not front element

Hoya HMC filters are known to be damn difficult to clean...

Hi everyone

exact same experience as you, but in china. not sure if your coating is damaged, but mine could be cleaned back to normal by using water vapour and a lens cloth.

TS tried running your filter under tap water? then use a plain cloth with no cleaning liquid at all on it, to slowly rub the filter. Dun rub too hard or you might damage the coating...

Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try running it under water and see if this works... otherwise will be really pissed that such a little thing can cause this kind of damage

nothing to do with "cheap hoya filters", never have that problem with mine

doubt it is rain either, if it really cannot be removed

cleaning fluid should do the job, honestly

i found the best way to clean hoya multicoated filters is wash with soap and warm water. do not wipe dry, just shake off the water and let it dry. when its dry use your breath and microfibre cloth to clean on the water marks.

Ok i am convinced it is not rain. even after using running water the mark remains. spot must have eaten into the coating.

I wonder what has been floating in the air that day... din notice anyone spraying party snow around me at that time...

once again good thing that it wasn't the front element. and at least this is very very unlikely to impact my photos

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Did you try to clean with Lenspen?

The carbon should pick up the stain easily.

no lenspen here but i think won't work la. it is not a stain but a damage to the coating. tried water, kinetronic cleaning fluid, very light wash dtergent... still remain

goes to show the importance of a protection over the lens, not just to prevent physical knocks

i found the best way to clean hoya multicoated filters is wash with soap and warm water. do not wipe dry, just shake off the water and let it dry. when its dry use your breath and microfibre cloth to clean on the water marks.

I don't know about soap but please please please do not use kitchen detergent on your multicoated filters. Do it a couple times more and the coating will peel off.

I don't know about soap but please please please do not use kitchen detergent on your multicoated filters. Do it a couple times more and the coating will peel off.

so far so good. anyway you wont be doing this everyday. and its just a filter..can always get new one :bsmilie:

so far so good. anyway you wont be doing this everyday. and its just a filter..can always get new one :bsmilie:

Yeah.. The filters I use are not exactly cheap..;p

Hi everyone

I had the same problem during 2006 Motor Show. It was B+W MRC filter. The coating was eaten up and can't be cleaned by anymeans......

Definitely it was not water droplets but some sort of chemical. Didn't know how it landed on my filter.

hmm looks like we are both very suay to kena this kind of "natural phemenon"...

ok la, at least its not the coating on the lens itself right?
at most get a new filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.