Multi Cam recording...

Status
Not open for further replies.

swivel

Feb 7, 2006
hey video experts out there.. needa some advice and technique from you guys...

basically, my school has this musical coming up... so i was thinking of doing a multi cam recording; dun needa have 'live-broadcast'.

the cameras which my school will be using are consumer level kinda camera; the model is Canon DC220 and Canon Camcorder MV650i

canon_dc220.jpg

Canon DC220

canon-mv650i.jpg

Canon Camcorder MV650i

Alright...
so is there any way i can synchronize the cameras? i doubt the camera has synchronize time-code values.

i mean if the event is like 30 mins, sync should be no problem... cos i can do a 'visual-sync'; all camera start recording by shooting at e same object concurrently...

but the musical is close to 2 hours... meaning, while recording half way, the camera man will have to change tape or disc...

aniwae techniques?

thanks!!!

Save the trouble of rolling independent cameras and waste time in post..

Just run 1 or two cameras with tape for backup, and the rest of the video output can be connected to a video switcher and record to a live recorder.

I can spec in a video switcher and provide up to 184mins of recording for your event.
For a basic setup, I can quote you for just switcher & recorder, you just need to provide cameras, manned or static cameras up to your choice.

Save the trouble of rolling independent cameras and waste time in post..

Just run 1 or two cameras with tape for backup, and the rest of the video output can be connected to a video switcher and record to a live recorder.

I can spec in a video switcher and provide up to 184mins of recording for your event.
For a basic setup, I can quote you for just switcher & recorder, you just need to provide cameras, manned or static cameras up to your choice.

how much would it cost?
i doubt my sch will pay for it if its too much..
:p

We are talking about at least a grand for a day of production work with minimal setup, but if your school wants to put it in a different light, ie. My company provides hands-on training & video workshop in a real video production situation for students from AV club to learn something, that is also workable.

I have conducted similar workshops at tertiary levels and they proved to be very effective.
Email me for further enquiries if keen.

We are talking about at least a grand for a day of production work with minimal setup, but if your school wants to put it in a different light, ie. My company provides hands-on training & video workshop in a real video production situation for students from AV club to learn something, that is also workable.

I have conducted similar workshops at tertiary levels and they proved to be very effective.
Email me for further enquiries if keen.

erm.. i think its ok. my HOD wont be approving e idea of getting and external vendor. :(

i juz wanna work with what we have in e school.. :p

thanks

:p

Frankly speaking, using consumer grade cams for multicam setup is a challenge. Below are some points to consider;

1. Do you have a non-linear editing system? You will definately need it in post-production to piece the 2 raw footages into a single video

2. Use a clapboard minutes just before the event starts. This is to give you a video and audio manual sync point. This manual sync point will be much needed during post-production.

Satisfying the above does not mean the recording will work. You just have to be creative and think out of the box

It is likely the audio recording will be very bad. This is because the mics in the cams is designed to record every noise in the room. Test out before doing it on the actual event.

Good luck.

cheapest way is to have a little more trouble in post.
-Shoot all cameras as per normal, say 2 tapes each, you'll have 6 tapes for 3 cameras.
-digitize them; lay them on 6 layers in your editing timeline.
-Do your synching on the timeline (its only 4 sychs anyway) and lock it down.
-edit.
hope this helps.

Seriously...
The best way to do this is to get a professional cos that's what they are for.
Doing it in-house will always result in poor quality and regrets.

Dun bother about sync issues.
So long as the cams record in the same video formats it shd work out ok with visual and audio cues.
Just note that these cameras WILL have poor quality audio.
It will be good to pre-determine the shot angles and sizes prior to shot date and even have a rehearsal.

I've done many musicals and such and know for a fact that you WILL need rehearsals if you're using students instead of pros. I hope that you at least got an external vendor for audio system. After rehearsing for so long, the last thing you wish to happen is sound problems. It probably won't look great on video but you can keep it for archive. Also prep for blackout issues. Happened once on one of my events. Luckily I was prepared.

Heed DXNMedia's option of training your students. Or I can do it too =)
Either way, try to get your HOD to understand the outcome if not you might be the one that gets blamed.

:) jus use a clapper board and some luck! lol

oh yes!!!
where can i get a CLAP BOARD?
how much is it?

thanks

oh yes!!!
where can i get a CLAP BOARD?
how much is it?

thanks

You can use your hands to function as a clapboard. Don't have to specifically buy one.

Point all recording cameras towards your hands, and you clap your hands. The cams record the visual & audio sync points on tape (the act of clapping your hands). This sync point will be very useful when doing multicam post-production, to ensure audio & visual does not lag from each other.

However, it does has its own limitation. So, pls try it out before doing it on an event.

Cheers.

I doubt the clap board would be of much use unless your cameras are near each other. The idea is all your camera(s) have to pick up the sound of THE 'clap' as well as see THE 'clap' (I can't help but reinforce the idea that you are using only the same clap). When you change tape or stop rolling, you wouldn't be in sync anymore and would then need to 'clap' again. With the way your setup is going, would suggest taking the advice given and stick to sync from visual and or audio cues.

Chances are you would have a camera on a wide shot and at least another taking close ups, 2-shots, etc. So it would't be a major issue to do one sync point in post for all cameras (say the first 1 where the MC comes on stage to intro). Then about 50mins into the programme (for 60mins tape), or a given point where there is an intermission (its a musical, so chances are the timings are accurate to a degree), do a tape change. The most you have to do is 2-3 sync points in your timeline for each camera.

It takes a bit of time, but that's how its done on low budget shoots, where clapping during an event is unthinkable, with cameras that are unable to jam sync time code. (Of course, the editors are more experienced and will probably not capture and sync from start...) If your computer is unable to handle multiple tracks of video of 2hours in length, consider 'chopping' the video during capture into smaller chunks.

Consider letting us know how many cameras you'll be using for the musical.

Status
Not open for further replies.