Mt. Faber - sunsets

Status
Not open for further replies.

liventune

Jul 11, 2009
Mt-faber-001-Crique_filtered.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

Framing? This picture is not processed extensively beyond cropping and adjusting for the basic levels. what I struggled with is how to expose properly for the front background. Finally went with the sky. I feel the foreground is too dark (hence cropped it off), would like an opinion? I can probably tweak this in PS but want to do it in the camera. any tips or suggestion would help

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Show the magnificent colors of the sky just as the sun is setting

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
The shots was taken on timed exposure at F8. ISO was set to low (100)

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I liked the sky colors, cloud shape but not the foreground.

Tree leaves at the right hand corner seemed to break the whole idea of the image

you could use an ultrawide, shoot a bit more of the building and go for the skies. Bear in mind not to compose the tree leaves into the picture. :)

Personally. leaves of trees might work. but not in this case.

the horizon is placed too low.

Hi liventune,

- The tree on the right of the picture does nothing to add to the picture. Anything that does not add to the picture subtracts from it.
- There is insufficient space given to the buildings at the bottom of the picture. These buildings form part of the horizon and are an essential part of the picture. My guess is that you are cropping off the bottom due to the presence of trees. Try changing a shooting location to get rid of the trees while giving you full view of the buildings and horizon.
- Try waiting a little longer to get a more orange sky. Generally an orange sunset with some clouds is more dynamic and pleasing then a sunset with large patches of blue mixing with some orange. If you can't get an orange sky, try again another day.
- The exposure of this pic is a little too bright. If you're unsure of the exposure, do a bracket shot.
- Try to include the sun if you can. Use a long focal length (at least 200mm or more) to enlarge the sun. Sunset pic with a large sun is more pleasing then a small sun or no sun.

Hope that helps. Happy shooting. :)

- Try waiting a little longer to get a more orange sky. Generally an orange sunset with some clouds is more dynamic and pleasing then a sunset with large patches of blue mixing with some orange. If you can't get an orange sky, try again another day.

Maybe, just maybe this is what he meant;
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3281/2582817255_8ce45f396c_o.jpg

Yes, and keep on shooting!

Have u 4got the rule of 3rd

I don't think the rule of a 3rd really matters if the overall picture is great. It is a guideline, not a must have.

However on that point. The picture does seem to lack substance. The leaves at the side does not bring out the picture. Color seems dull. I assume there wasn't any PP done?

what is the focal length used, was there tripod used? how badly did you compress this image? for f/8, this is looking pretty soft, and diffraction ought not to have set in yet.

those leaves are really distracting, as so many others have pointed out already.

it is a fabulous sky, i would have tried to find an anchor point in the view you have here, exclude the leaves, and give a bit more weight to the ground. doesn't have to be thirds, mind you. that sky is beautiful enough.

Rule of third, distract tree at the right. I think good to go of total sillouhette for the build.... DArk!

Thank you to all for your valuable comments. very much appreciated. I heavily cropped this picture as the foreground was under exposed. Also should have shot from another angle. Have a few ideas for next time...

Thank you to all for your valuable comments. very much appreciated. I heavily cropped this picture as the foreground was under exposed. Also should have shot from another angle. Have a few ideas for next time...

That is why most aspiring landscape photographers will get themselves GND filters, to balance out the sky and give more exposure to the ground.

Since this shot already happened, you can rescue it too in PP. It really depends on what software you use to be able to tell you what to do. In LR it is called Graduated filters. In PS we use masks. We can use these tools to bring the exposure up in certain areas, and bring the exposure down in others, in a graduated manner.

Here are some beginner landscape photography tips:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Beginners-guide-to-Landscape-Photography-5963
http://www.slrphotographyguide.com/landscapes.shtml
http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/photography-composition.html

Enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.