MSI Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

togu

Jul 11, 2002
@ D08
www.tommygui.com
Hrm, anyone using any of the following motherboards?

1. MSI RX480M2
2. MSI K8N Neo4-F

Both going at about $190-$200, supports sata, pcie, ata133, raid. The RX using ATI chip, comes with firewire, 5.1 audio, 100mb lan. Whereas the K8N comes with 7.1 audio, GB lan, no firewire tho.

Your views? Or any recommendataions for any other MB of that price range, comes with sata, pcie? I'm looking at AMD 939 pins MB.

:)

I use Asus solely and rely very heavily on them, as for MSI they've always been my 2nd choice after Asus when it comes to building computers.

Hee.

Abit, Gigabyte are out out out!!!

Abit - For AMD
Gigabyte - For Intel
Asus - For both platforms

MSI i'm avoiding it like the plague due to capacitor problems.
DFI very dodgy also, sometimes got problems, sometimes works like a charm.

So far buily many systems on the above 3, no issues. Very stable. Very fast.

I'm long time supporter for ABit, however recent batch of MSI (NForce chipset) is quite satisfaction. IIRC, the capacitor problems did affect other mobo makers too due to certain "problem" batches released by the capacitor manufacturer.

Gigabyte - just an average board.
Btw, these are electronics, sometime good brand also have defects one. Just some luck :p

Most importantly depends on your needs and budget :)

Cheers!

oh ya, probably just my personal preference. If for AMD processor, I prefer NForce chipset. VIA chipset although has longer presence in the industry, sometime I did run into driver and USB connectivity issues.

Cheers!

well, I will never go MSI becoz of capacitor issue. Have read the cap blown before and even warned that against my friend. He didn't trust me and went ahead. In the end, he got a blown capacitor too and we went back to the Service centre but was told it was our fault. Too bad, fingers started pointing and they refused to do 1 to 1 exchange. In the end, my friend waited 2 months for his RMA. Your choice..

Any idea, is the capacitor issue still exists in the later boards? :dunno:
Last I was told/ heard about 1 1/2 year old series. (Around AMD XP processor generation) :think:

Thanks.

ST_sg said:
Any idea, is the capacitor issue still exists in the later boards? :dunno:
Last I was told/ heard about 1 1/2 year old series. (Around AMD XP processor generation) :think:

Thanks.

My friend one is Kn8 neo using AMD64...told him already still dun believe me.. now he regrets.. :bsmilie:

The blown capcitors depends on batches. I have heard of Abit capacitors blowing too. If you don't o'clock it with too much voltage should be ok.

For AMD 64 939s the new Nvidia chipsets are more stable then the VIAs. SATA implemention is very well done without any drivers issues.

I used to recommand Asus exclusively but the price has gone up quite a bit. Now I just go for price / features.... Had good experiences with Asus, Abit, MSI. If you don't o'clock they should all perform reasonably well. Also, the good board designers do get headhunter by each firm... so you see quality of design switches once in a while.

If building now... should go for dual core capable boards...
:bsmilie:

:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Now have even more choices. For those with PCIe, SATA, filter out these few

1. MSI RX480M2 approx $191
2. MSI K8N Neo4-F approx $205
3. ASUS A8N SLI approx $263
4. Abit AN8 Ultra approx $ 254
5. Gigabyte GA-K8NF approx $205

* togu scratch his head...

Seems like getting more and more expensive. Trying to keep it to $200, so that I can get a better psu, or a better casing. Thinking of getting a Centurion 530 ;p

I gave up on MSI after having to make a few trips down to Corbell... sianz liao~
Pressntly using Gigabyte for my P4 and pior to that, Abit.

AMD.. hmmm come come Ah-Gu.. come the Brotherhood of Jurong... there got many people using AMD... can check with them.

heheheee

BUY BUY BUY~~

Suggest you go for Abit / Gigabyte

Asus agent in Singapore abit problematic .. a few guys kenna ding dong here and there... kinda scary also. Even dealers whom i know at SLS seem to shun from asus due to RMA problems... Asus boards have a good track record .. but Singapore's agent (the now defunct Ai-En) now gone .. i'm not sure who handles what anymore.

Else you can wait for the X2 from AMD to stabilize and mature :devil: .. my dream machine.. for now ..

togu said:
:sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

Now have even more choices. For those with PCIe, SATA, filter out these few

1. MSI RX480M2 approx $191
2. MSI K8N Neo4-F approx $205
3. ASUS A8N SLI approx $263
4. Abit AN8 SLI approx $ ??
5. Gigabyte GA-K8NF approx $205

* togu scratch his head...

Seems like getting more and more expensive. Trying to keep it to $200, so that I can get a better psu, or a better casing. Thinking of getting a Centurion 530 ;p
Are you a hardcore gamer? I guess, you can still stick with AGP lah, since you won't be going to change graphic cards every generation, and AGP 8x is very good and stable already.

One important feature on NForce chipset, you don't need driver for SATA drive during WinXP installation (as ZPlus mentioned) :thumbsup:

ST_sg said:
Are you a hardcore gamer? I guess, you can still stick with AGP lah, since you won't be going to change graphic cards every generation, and AGP 8x is very good and stable already.

One important feature on NForce chipset, you don't need driver for SATA drive during WinXP installation (as ZPlus mentioned) :thumbsup:

Gamer? No way! The only game I like is pacman. Might not even get PCIe graphic cards. Just thinking it's good to get a MB with those slots. Since this box I'm building will probably last me very very long. :embrass:

So if possible, I'm getting a MB with the lowest price but have room for most expansions. :embrass:

BTW, my desktop at home is running on a AMD K6-333, 256mb, 1 x 6gb hdd, 1x 20gb hdd, SB PCI 16, Iomega 8x CDRW, Creative Banshee GFX.

The last round I load this er.. Mario 64 emulator, I'm like watching powerpoint. :cry: :cry:

Bluestrike said:
I gave up on MSI after having to make a few trips down to Corbell... sianz liao~
Pressntly using Gigabyte for my P4 and pior to that, Abit.

AMD.. hmmm come come Ah-Gu.. come the Brotherhood of Jurong... there got many people using AMD... can check with them.

heheheee

BUY BUY BUY~~

Brotherhood my foot! You using P4. So I go brotherhood with who? Hrm.. alex?

dEthANGeL said:
Suggest you go for Abit / Gigabyte

Asus agent in Singapore abit problematic .. a few guys kenna ding dong here and there... kinda scary also. Even dealers whom i know at SLS seem to shun from asus due to RMA problems... Asus boards have a good track record .. but Singapore's agent (the now defunct Ai-En) now gone .. i'm not sure who handles what anymore.

Else you can wait for the X2 from AMD to stabilize and mature :devil: .. my dream machine.. for now ..

X2? That'll be way above my budget. :cry:

I'm thinking of building a simple machine,

AMD XP 3000+ $244
dunno-what motherboard $200
Corsair 1gb $168
160GB SATA $146
Sapphire 128Mb x300 PCIe $99
LG DVRW $100
LG 16x DVD Rom $39
Casing $200
Viewsonic 17" LCD $388

Total $1584

Trying to keep it below $1.5k. Maybe a smaller HDD for the time being. :think:

Any comments? ;p

togu said:
X2? That'll be way above my budget. :cry:

I'm thinking of building a simple machine,

AMD XP 3000+ $244
dunno-what motherboard $200
Corsair 1gb $168
160GB SATA $146
Sapphire 128Mb x300 PCIe $99
LG DVRW $100
LG 16x DVD Rom $39
Casing $200
Viewsonic 17" LCD $388

Total $1584

Trying to keep it below $1.5k. Maybe a smaller HDD for the time being. :think:

Any comments? ;p
Since you getting the LG DVDRW, then skip the DVD-R drive lah. As for the 17" LCD, why not get a 19" one? 17" running with native 1280x1024 resolution a bit too small for the eyes heh.. ;p

ST_sg said:
Since you getting the LG DVDRW, then skip the DVD-R drive lah. As for the 17" LCD, why not get a 19" one? 17" running with native 1280x1024 resolution a bit too small for the eyes heh.. ;p

Kakkakak, 1 Reader 1 Writer more convenient. 19 inch will exceed my budget too much. :think:

Hmm ...

Case wise, you can go for the HEC 6AU6 which is a very decent case ..price? Very decent too - $99. Comes with 2x 120mm temptature senitive fans for silent operation.

PSU (which you've left out) go for Verudium or Antec. Quality PSUs are madandatory these days (bad PSUs kill components) give or take ard $150+ odd. Say around 380W-400W models. Go for those with TruPower.

Status
Not open for further replies.