MS Optical 50/1.13 lens coming soon

newghost

Staff member
Sep 17, 2009
This is interesting....!!!

"Lastly, a new lens by Mr Miyazaki is on the horizon, the MS Optical 50/1.13. The lens offers a very wide aperture and is a Sonnar design. Ten copies will be assembled in early September and details published at that time. These are not prototypes, and to use Mr Miyazaki’s own words “I do not make enough mistakes to justify building that many prototypes” — these are full production spec lenses. After that more lenses are made to produce 300 in total. The lens will be available via various outlets and is priced at Y109.000."

Read more here...
MS Optical 50/1.13 lens coming soon | Leica News & Rumors

There's even pre-order at JCH!!!
The MS Optical Sonnetar 50mm f/1.1 MC | Japan Camera Hunter

This is interesting....!!!

"Lastly, a new lens by Mr Miyazaki is on the horizon, the MS Optical 50/1.13. The lens offers a very wide aperture and is a Sonnar design. Ten copies will be assembled in early September and details published at that time. These are not prototypes, and to use Mr Miyazaki’s own words “I do not make enough mistakes to justify building that many prototypes” — these are full production spec lenses. After that more lenses are made to produce 300 in total. The lens will be available via various outlets and is priced at Y109.000."

Read more here...
MS Optical 50/1.13 lens coming soon | Leica News & Rumors

There's even pre-order at JCH!!!
The MS Optical Sonnetar 50mm f/1.1 MC | Japan Camera Hunter

You buying?

JCH Pre-orders are sold out already :)

this is not the same as the 50mm f1.3 sonnar he previously made? that was a beautiful lens I had the privilege of trying a couple of years back!

more details about the lens : http://japancamerahunter.com/2012/09/the-ms-optical-sonnetar-50mm-f1-1-mc/#more-5792

On the rear element of the lens there is a coma adjustment ring. With settings for infinity, 4m, 2m, and 1m. This is designed to assist with aberration issues which were faced with early Sonnar tyoes when wide open. With the coma selection you can select the focal length you will be using by twisting the rear element inside the lens. When selected the system will help to reduce spherical aberration.

Finding the above excerpt extremely interesting, although I'm not too sure how it works out technically. Any experts on the theory? :confused: Does this have to do with the focus shift issues of the sonnar design?

Being a huge sonnar fan, this is certainly tempting, and compared to possible alternatives, the price is actually reasonable. All it leaves is the actual performance.

Last edited:
But how would one know if the CA has been successfully suppressed unless we are doing a live view?

thanks for the detailed explanation, jon. that is a very interesting feature, looking forward to more sample pictures with the lens when it's actually out.

Pre Order closed - all 200 copies world wide sold out.