MRT Information Display PC Crashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Yesterday. :)

Hey, now I know its an AMD K6-2 with 16MB RAM. Dunno running what OS since it can't even boot up....

mrt-plasma-crash.jpg

Regards
CK

Originally posted by maddog
which mrt?

Tampines Station.

Moral of the story : Playing crappy Navy and dunno-what ads on that super expensive Plasma display is too system intensive. Not only it's super annonying, it caused harddisk failure. :)

While it takes 0.1% of CPU usage to display something like "Pasir Ris - 2 mins", something even a 8MHz XT can do easily, they chose to play 30fps of some stupid Navy Ad among other ads, irritating the hell out of 4 million people and crashing the system! :devil:

Regards
CK

16MB RAM can't run Win2k or above so must be a Win9x system or Linux. I didin't figure these signs were PC powered. The plasma screens are nice and high definition. Its airport-like.

even HDD is not detected. I believe this thing is also running on Windows. I have seem the ticket top up machine for ez-link crashed, no blue screen but there is a dialog saying there is no more resource, those stupid Windows warning dialog.

300 MHz with 16MB of ram should still be sufficient to run WinNT.

This is what happens when you try to put mirco$haft windows on everything. Even worse if it is win98 or (gasp) win95.

I remember one day when I was at Raffles place, one of the huge displays crashed and displayed a Windoze error message box. Now why would anyone use such important systems with a piece of crap like windows?

If you have noticed, some of the Comfort cabs have a console running windows-CE. Just wait... "Please pay $8,530.19".

Originally posted by PsychoBoy
even HDD is not detected. I believe this thing is also running on Windows. I have seem the ticket top up machine for ez-link crashed, no blue screen but there is a dialog saying there is no more resource, those stupid Windows warning dialog.

Are u sure? I thought NT4 requires 24MB minimum.

Are u sure? I thought NT4 requires 24MB minimum.
you could be right... I cannot recall also....I think I read somewhere that says if only WinNT 4 OS without user can run on 16MB.

but why would SMRT use OS like Win98 for their system? unless the plsma tv uses different OS as the ticketing machine...

Originally posted by PsychoBoy

That harddisk probably died already lar. :D

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Jason Ho
Its IBM OS/2 lah :p

OS/2 can crash also. I ever saw an ATM (forgot which bank) in an MRT station (forgot also) having an OS/2 error dialog in place of the standard ATM screen. :eek:

Is OS/2 discontinued anyway? And has ATMs since converted to XP/2K/Linux/BSD? :)

Regards
CK

I remembered POSB used to run their POS card machine(those for POSB card) with OS2. Remember seeing one of those fails and laughs:D

Probably they have changed after the merge.

a dumb networked PC??

I dun think so....probably boot-up from A:\:p

16MB RAM can't run Win2k or above so must be a Win9x system or Linux. I didin't figure these signs were PC powered. The plasma screens are nice and high definition. Its airport-like.

They don't last long. Sydney's suburban rail people started installing 'plasma' information displays about 4 years ago - the orginal installation is now so badly burned that it makes the displays hard to read - especially if something different from normal is displayed.

The 'airport' line plasma displays started to get serious colour 'bleeding' after about 12 months.

Most of the other 'plasma's on the system have shown serious burn in after 12 months.

Possibly they have 'woken up', the major station where I work has plasma displays on one platform that are 2 years old and showing burn in, but they just recently 'completed' the project on the other platforms by using monochrome LED displays, which I think are much more readable (although less flexable) and will last much longer.

I've seen photos of the Sydney rail plasma displays with 'DHCP server unavailable' stuck in the middle of the screen. The software is simple minded as well - on my work's station (the one above) one of the pair of displays on my platform some how got its time changed. The 'due out' time on that unit spent two weeks adding 10 minutes to every thing.

I often think people use windows on these things due to a perception is cheaper, and developers are cheaper, but they seem to pretty well get what they paid for, a system that won't last very long and is not terribly reliable.

I still think the most readable of the lot was the huge old 'lamp next to station name' displays, where every possible station was painted up on a large board with a lamp next to it. If the train stopped the lamp was lit.
They apparently replaced these with the Windows based plasma abominations 'cause parts were hard to get. The things were based on relays. Any electronics hobby shop could have supplied parts :)

Originally posted by ckiang
Yesterday. :)

Hey, now I know its an AMD K6-2 with 16MB RAM. Dunno running what OS since it can't even boot up....

mrt-plasma-crash.jpg

Regards
CK

wah lau..
A: also cannot find?
but I'm kinda shocked to see something with only a paltry 16MB run on something... still can display video man.
woah.

Well, floppies are more or less dead. :)

I just came back, and this screen is still on the screen. Oh man, are they blind or are they ignorant or .....

Regards
CK

Aiyah, I won't be suprised...
Anyway, the QOS is supposed to improve, as they are raking in more profits, but IMO, i don't think the QOS has.

Take a look @ the LRT.
$$ gone down the drain I must say.
And did I mention that I hate the ez-link card system? ;p

Moral of the story : Playing crappy Navy and dunno-what ads on that super expensive Plasma display is too system intensive. Not only it's super annonying, it caused harddisk failure. :)

While it takes 0.1% of CPU usage to display something like "Pasir Ris - 2 mins", something even a 8MHz XT can do easily, they chose to play 30fps of some stupid Navy Ad among other ads, irritating the hell out of 4 million people and crashing the system! :devil:

like i told u in person CK, i don't understand your peeve against running ads on those displays. If you don't like ads, just don't look at them lah! ;p it's not as if you really need those plasma displays to tell you how long to the next train.....fact is u don't need to see / read them, like how we mostly ignore ads on websites, billboards etc.......

before they actually installed the system to let us know of the train timings, i don't hear you complaining the lack of one! ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.