MRT Information Display PC Crashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Red Dawn

like i told u in person CK, i don't understand your peeve against running ads on those displays. If you don't like ads, just don't look at them lah!

But the reason the advertisers just love those video screen adds is that they are much harder to ignore than a poster.

Movement attracts attention. It's wired into our brains. You see something move in the periphery of your vision and your eyes will automaticly turn to track it.

JDeux in Sydney have started puting 'scolls' of posters on the side of bus shelters (and in railway stations). These have about 5 or 6 posters in a long scoll and they change every minute or so. There have been complaints that these signs could actually be dangerious because the movement will distract motorists from whats actually important - watching what's going on on the road. The arguement is that when the poster changes, the movement will cause the motorist to look sideways at the bus shelter instead of whats on the road. In extreme cases this could cause some one to crash into the bus shelter, as they drive towards what their visision is focused on.

It's an annoying fact if life that in our market driven consumer driven society that advertising is part of the game, and that as the static forms of adversing start to 'wear off', the advertisers will research how to grab attention at lower and lower levels in our neural wiring so the effect can't wear off.

(I hate advertising, as a sysadmin of a 500+ user mail system, I get a LOT of complaints about junk advertising email....) :)

Originally posted by matthew

But the reason the advertisers just love those video screen adds is that they are much harder to ignore than a poster.

Movement attracts attention. It's wired into our brains. You see something move in the periphery of your vision and your eyes will automaticly turn to track it.

JDeux in Sydney have started puting 'scolls' of posters on the side of bus shelters (and in railway stations). These have about 5 or 6 posters in a long scoll and they change every minute or so. There have been complaints that these signs could actually be dangerious because the movement will distract motorists from whats actually important - watching what's going on on the road. The arguement is that when the poster changes, the movement will cause the motorist to look sideways at the bus shelter instead of whats on the road. In extreme cases this could cause some one to crash into the bus shelter, as they drive towards what their visision is focused on.

It's an annoying fact if life that in our market driven consumer driven society that advertising is part of the game, and that as the static forms of adversing start to 'wear off', the advertisers will research how to grab attention at lower and lower levels in our neural wiring so the effect can't wear off.

(I hate advertising, as a sysadmin of a 500+ user mail system, I get a LOT of complaints about junk advertising email....) :)

Fact is, I've observed the people on the platform for a long time, ever since they started running those ads. NO ONE, looks at them for more than 1s. Besides, it's a NAVY ad, and some health pill ad.

RD : Lack of information is ALWAYS annoying. Imagine going to the airport to fetch your friend and the big display is showing advertisements. You don't know when he will arrive, whether there is a delay, etc. And all you can do is wait.

It is a big problem. When the screen is not there, it is still a problem - we all want to know when the next train will arrive. When they installed those screens, it provided us that information and everyone is happy. Then they started to run those silly ads. Obviously it's not an issue for people who take cabs or drives, but I think it's an issue for the majority. I've always seen people turning to look at the screen, only to see ads, and they turn back. Or look at their watches. or whatever.

Regards
CK

Oh yes, and speaking of crashed systems, I just saw an NT4 shutdown screen saying "You can now safely shut down your system" on the screen of a DBS ATM at Tampines Mall. I didn't take a pic this time.

Hmm.... now I know ATMs no longer run OS/2 but NT4.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.