MRT Disruption yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawgbyte77

Mar 27, 2005
Singapore
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/051229/5/singapore185715.html

Anyone read this article? Anyone notice that the first 2 article is about the man who commited suicide and the rest is about how inconvenient it was that MRT was disrupted? No mention about why or who the suicide was but has detailed account when the train resumed or how many buses it took to ferry people or how many estimated passengers were affected and lastly, how to get a full refund. I know suicide is wrong but in here, it just feel like priority is on convenience than a social issue.

A mother tried to kill herself last month but failed. Now she is worried that if she goes to jail, who will look after her son. In Singapore, the there is a fine and jail sentence for attempted suicide. But no mention about successful once. Does this mean she is penalized for her failure? What is the moral lesson? In life, as well as in death, aim for perfection.

Anyway, just wanna share some thoughts... this is not about suicide but the reaction to it.

I guess the SMRT Corp Comms not doing a good job.

I'd rather want to know how humane is the company, in response to the family's tragedy.

Who the hell cares about the inconvenience? Do they only care about the figures they have to maintain to please the LTA?

They sound like a very 'cold' environment.

Solution #1
If a guy throws himself on the track and dies, verified to be suicide. The family members of the fella would have to serve out x hours of community service. The number of hours is determined by the following factors:
- Total manpower time utilised
- Potential mapower to be utilised
- Commuter's lost time
- Train Delay timing

Solution #2
SMRT bill the family for the following expenses:
- Loss of potential and actual profit caused by train delay
- Loss of commuter's time (in terms of average pay per hour, per person)
- Cleaning bill
- Undertaker bill
- Cost incurred for extra manpower utilised
- Counselling bill for personnels who had been potentially traumatised by handling the body
- A $1000 fine from ENV for Environmental Pollution

Controversial and callous no doubt. But to let ppl know that their deaths ain't gonna end just like that but its going to implicate their family even after their deaths is going to make them think twice abt dying.

This place..:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

I am Fuc*ing mad about here.........:angry:

Seem like i can't do much...:cry:

jsbn said:
Solution #1
If a guy throws himself on the track and dies, verified to be suicide. The family members of the fella would have to serve out x hours of community service. The number of hours is determined by the following factors:
- Commuter's lost time
- Train Delay timing

Solution #2
- Cleaning bill
- Undertaker bill
- Counselling bill for personnels who had been potentially traumatised by handling the body

Controversial and callous no doubt. But to let ppl know that their deaths ain't gonna end just like that but its going to implicate their family even after their deaths is going to make them think twice abt dying.

jsbn,

are these factual or do they meant as a joke (i'm serious)? I hope you're just kidding us, else our whole society is becoming un-sympathetic :eek:

soma said:
This place..:thumbsd: :thumbsd: :thumbsd:

I am Fuc*ing mad about here.........:angry:

Seem like i can't do much...:cry:

'HERE' = Singapore, or 'HERE' = SMRT?

Robert said:
'HERE' = Singapore, or 'HERE' = SMRT?

Go figure out..:sticktong

soma said:
Go figure out..:sticktong

That's good. Many feel the same way.

are these factual or do they meant as a joke (i'm serious)?
?? if u can't tell, i'd really be horrified.

dawgbyte, there is a punishment for attempted suicide but i believe it isn't usually carried out. of course there is no punishment for successful suicides lah, the dead can't be punished.

i wouldn't infer a society's morality solely from a constantly updating list of articles. also, who and why may be humane concerns, but i'm not sure the facts can be verified so quickly, and it may not be in the family's best interests to make them cough up all the facts immediately?

If they ever implement this... you'd see mass suicides / homocide cum suicides....;p

jsbn said:
Solution #1
- Commuter's lost time
- Train Delay timing

Solution #2
- Cleaning bill
- Undertaker bill

Zplus said:
If they ever implement this... you'd see mass suicides / homocide cum suicides....;p

Don't give SMRT ideas ..... they will do *anything* as an excuse to raise fares.

stevle said:
jsbn,

are these factual or do they meant as a joke (i'm serious)? I hope you're just kidding us, else our whole society is becoming un-sympathetic :eek:
Half and half actually.

Although I had heard abt laws that will be enforced on attempted failed suicides, these are legislations that I had never heard being actually enforced. Most of the time, I guess it would be social & spiritual counsellers that would be hired to counsel the fella.

Although ridiculous (to what I know Japan Railway has such a policy where billing the family of the dead is concerned) but den to let the potential suicider know that after his death such-and-such a policy will be enforced upon his living relatives and next-of-kin would prolly (and hopefully) deter his suicide since he realises that with his death, he begins a new cycle of suffering to his family.

Kinda like what the current anti-drug message is putting across. "U take drugs, u shiok. Go jail is ur business. But in the end, who really suffers?"

d7t3 said:
dawgbyte, there is a punishment for attempted suicide but i believe it isn't usually carried out. of course there is no punishment for successful suicides lah, the dead can't be punished.

My point is that sometimes suicides are caused by depression. And in some cases, depression is an illness, whether temporary or permanent. So my point is that maybe hospitalization or being institutionalized as a default consequence would be better than jailterm and fine. Honestly, reading these makes me depressed. But I just got my bonus so no plans to commit suicide.

it's an old-fashioned piece of legislation. maybe time to review it. as i see it, the unenforced punishment is an indirect way to say society doesn't condone suicide. but i bet it doesn't come into people's considerations if they're really contemplating suicide.

yes, suicide is an expression of dysfunction or desperation. i certainly hope there is proper referral and care for attempted suicides.

numzkull said:
if im not mistaken, when someone dies from suicide, his hands will be cuffed nonetheless.

:eek: :eek: ...now i will have to add "SICK" to all there(here) wrong doing..:angry: :angry:

numzkull said:
if im not mistaken, when someone dies from suicide, his hands will be cuffed nonetheless.

One of Spore's urban legends... they also used to say that they cane the suicide corpses becoz its a crime.... I find it very hard to believe

numzkull said:

Guess its to enforce the understanding that he committed a crime -even if he's not alive to realize it :bsmilie:

dawgbyte77 said:
But I just got my bonus so no plans to commit suicide.

Maybe the 'jumper' was an SMRT staff, who just received his meagre bonus? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.