MP3 encoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiki

Sep 16, 2004
weekee.fotopic.net
Hi all,

just like to seek your advise on mp3 encoding. I bought a samsung mp3 player and realise that different bit rates affect the size of the mp3 files. So just like to find out what is the bit rate that you guys normally used. I have tried 96, 112, 128 on a single song, can't really hear the difference. How about you guys?

128 is quite popular. If you don't hear the difference then choose 96k and save space.

wiki said:
Hi all,

just like to seek your advise on mp3 encoding. I bought a samsung mp3 player and realise that different bit rates affect the size of the mp3 files. So just like to find out what is the bit rate that you guys normally used. I have tried 96, 112, 128 on a single song, can't really hear the difference. How about you guys?

well.. listening to sound qualities need trained ears. n at least good speaker or headset. i bring my mp3 on ipod so no problem with exceeding the storage limit. cos i only used abt 5gb. kinda sad spending that money on another unused 15gb.

fr mp3, the standard bitrate is usually 128, below that, we could hear a diff in sound quality. there is another compression method called VBR (variable Bit Rate) that, depends on the sections of the song, would compress in a different bitrate. this method would save slightly more file size depending on the setting. n dun worry, the extension fr this VBR is still .mp3.

another extension is .ogg.. this compression format offers nice quality and has slightly lesser file size compared to .mp3. i wonder if ur player supports this format. OR, for the same file size as a 128bit mp3, lessay 3mb, you could get a nicer bit rate fr .ogg, lessay, 160 at 3.1mb? (NOT EXACT! this is juz a comparison).

i use 160 or 192 kbps
there's also constant bitrate & variable bitrate

normal earphones (if you're not a fussy listener) ...

encodings of 96-112 is enough for thumb drive mp3 players. Anything more is an overkill and not to mention, drains your batteries faster.

Unless you're plugging the player into a PA system or listen to classical pieces alot you need to encode it higher as the higher pitch of the pieces will become watery sounding.

for those who doesn't know. increasing bitrates increases your chances of hearing hiss in periods of sliences..

in lower bitrates, noise is quantized off.. with increased bit rates you get a slight hiss in silence if the recording/conversion wasn't done properly.

However, high bitrates also give you more details especially in the highs.. You hear more details in the snares and high hats and give an overall 'vibrancy' to the sound.

That is provided you listen in a studio, totally damped and quiet.. with room stand waves compensated, using high SPL speakers with good cross overs. Or 'calibrated' room if the term is more familiar with most here.

if you're just taking it for you MRT/BUS/CAR ride.. 96K and a pair of good earphones is more than what you need.

yanyewkay said:
if you're just taking it for you MRT/BUS/CAR ride.. 96K and a pair of good earphones is more than what you need.

Disagree... when using a pair of good earphones, the difference can be heard, even in car/mrt/bus.

yanyewkay said:
...You hear more details in the snares and high hats and give an overall 'vibrancy' to the sound...
heeh don't think many ppl knows what's that.

im not sure the right term used. but i guess yyk has explained most of the stuff regarding the bitrate. but i hafta disagree with him regarding the usage of 96kbps for acceptable sound quality. i'd go fr d quality so, i would choose at least a 128kbps.

128 for the minimum sound quality

so what do you guys look for when getting a good earphone?

wiki said:

Depends on the individual i guess.

Clarity, detail & Bass handling...

This is what i usually listen out for. Can't expect much from earphones/backphones, can't compare how they sound with your conventional speakers either.

Currently using a pair of Sony monitoring headphones. Good enough, though the Grado SR80 would be a great choice for many serious listeners including me.

on the surface, u can see the quality of the sound from its frequency response. though human can only hear frm 20-20000khz (if im not wrong), many good headsets gives a wider frequency response fr example, 16-22000 to give a slightly more punch to the overall sound quality. however, maybe some mp3 players might not have enough power to supply to some higher end models (i wonder if my phrasing is correct) thus it will sound very soft even if u max out the volume. I've tried my old sony MDwalkman and plug it with a higher end Sennheiser headphone in Hung bros. the sound was very soft, so i opt fr a lower end one, juz enough fr my needs.

sorry, its 20Hz to 20kHz.

anything below 20Hz, one feels, not hear.

Also if its MP3, it has to be at least 160kbps to get a decent sound.

If u want a pair of good headphones, it has to be the Beyerdynamic DT770 or the DT990.
Earphones for in ear monitoring (IEM) would be the Shure E-series.

Monitor speakers for referenceing would be Genelec.

Thats at least wat i use as in my profession as an Audio Engineer.

:sweat: genelec ... i love their subs *sorry OT abit*

Have to agree for listening without losing much details 160kbps is a decent rate. Won't lose much details especially for orchestral tracks though VBR would definitely score in this field.

128 is the min if you're using normal earphones like Sony, Sennheiser, Panasonic etc. For more revealing earphones like Etys or Shures, maybe you will need 160-192. :) If you cannot tell the diff between 96, 112, 128 using your current earphones, than use 96 lor. Save space! But for me min is 128. Anything less i cannot take it.

wiki said:
I don't know much about audio stuff, so I just got myself a sony earplug type earphone. Didn't regret since... It's good enough for me in trains/bus/road.

AReality said:
I don't know much about audio stuff, so I just got myself a sony earplug type earphone. Didn't regret since... It's good enough for me in trains/bus/road.

The ear canal type? Hmm ... :bsmilie: dare not buy ... somehow feel abit unhygenic :p ..

Status
Not open for further replies.