MP Seng Han Thong Attacked Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is he a magnet for this type of things ? :dunno:

Did he say anything stupid recently? Quite a few minsters did :bsmilie:
Maybe minsters have bodyguards and better security. I guess now the government will want bodyguards for MPs too.

Last edited:
Well, he was attacked by a taxi driver after he said something about the taxi fare increase the other time.

So maybe we can tell who is it this time by analysing what he said recently :bsmilie:

So maybe we can tell who is it this time by analysing what he said recently :bsmilie:
you find it funny? :dunno:

this is reality, the man could be scarred for life, it isn't some movie like batman. and you're making jokes and turning this into some political commentary in your mind. good for you. i hope you're proud of yourself. i'm outta here.

Last edited:
Yah this is reality alright. Real life is not all love and good will.

When you mess with other people's lives, don't think you are safe in your sanctuary on high.
64 people got burnt to a crisp because some guy is too cheap to install a proper fire alarm system. Poor folks in Philippines getting buried under landslides every year because the trees are stripped off the slopes by some conglomerate. And some rich guy just got his kidney transplant. Oh the irony.

Like I said, this might be a sign of the times. When the recession get worse, and it will, people will get desperate.

Last edited:
Whatever the chap's gripes, it does not give him an excuse to assault another human being.

Just read that link posted by TS. It's reported, "Temple devotees said he (meaning the culprit) was upset for not being eligible for the handout and carried out the act against the MP as 'a revenge'.

Culprit is a man in his late 60's. I have never seen this happened before... but it does look like some elderly folks are in hardship.

../azul123

"Temple devotees said he (meaning the culprit) was upset for not being eligible for the handout and carried out the act against the MP as 'a revenge'.

No hongbao..... that elderly man gave our unfortunate MP 'hong pao" (red blisters).

Last edited:
I thought it was not so easy to set petrol on fire, maybe the fumes are easily flamable but I always thought petrol not so easily, did a search and found this, Perils of Petrol Station.

Man, next time I see someone smoking at the pump I am going to stay far far away.

../azul123

Static discharge at the pump

In Singapore not so worried, but whenever I am in US.. I always generate so much static, so much so that I am scared to touch anything metallic, even shaking hands with someone had static. Change shoes to rubber sole also no use.

../azul123

This man must be damn desperate man to take such an action. Again it says about......this SMC.

Many people are suffering in silence. Its up to the grassroots leaders to take care and spot all these cases.

If they choose to ignore or expect the people to come and beg for your help.....the matters will get worse.

But thankfully, the man who appeared to be 60+ years old won't get canning.

you find it funny? :dunno:

this is reality, the man could be scarred for life, it isn't some movie like batman. and you're making jokes and turning this into some political commentary in your mind. good for you. i hope you're proud of yourself. i'm outta here.

well there's no need for emotional outburst...when ppl are desperate and they got nothing to lose, anything can happen.

HE went into his job with his eyes open, no one forced him if i'm not wrong. As a public figure or civil servant, there is always a risk of something like this.

MP hospitalised after man pours flammable liquid on him, sets him on fire
By Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 11 January 2009 1419 hrs

SINGAPORE : Member of Parliament (MP) for Yio Chu Kang, Seng Han Thong, is in hospital with between 10 and 15 per cent burns after a man poured flammable liquid on him and set him on fire on Sunday.

Mr Seng was at a bursary and hong bao presentation ceremony at Yio Chu Kang Community Club when the attack happened.

The chairman of a nearby Chinese temple, Aw Swee Seng, also suffered burns.

Both men are now at the Singapore General Hospital.

Yio Chu Kang Community Club was filled with police and Civil Defence officers who were going about their investigations, but reporters were barred from entering the premises.

It is believed that a 70-year-old man approached the MP and Mr Aw from behind, poured the flammable liquid on them and set them on fire using a lighter.

A caller to the MediaCorp Hotline, Mr Zhang, said: "A man ran in, lit a bottle of kerosene and threw it at Mr Seng. Half of Mr Seng's hair was burnt...his back suffered burns as well. The man who threw the bottle tried to escape, but some people caught him and brought him to the CC."

Police have arrested the assailant.

Temple officials said the man was disgruntled for not being selected to receive the hong bao containing S$200.

Residents in the area whom Channel NewsAsia spoke to said the man is a familiar face in the neighbourhood, but not much else is known about him.

The charity event was organised by the chairman of the nearby Chu Sheng Temple.

Mr Aw has been the temple chairman for more than 10 years. He is also a popular and prominent figure in the community, with his temple giving out bursaries and red packets annually for 28 years.

As for Mr Seng, this is not the first time he has been attacked.

He was assaulted by a disgruntled taxi driver in 2006.

The man, who had sought Mr Seng's help about a revoked taxi licence, was acquitted after he agreed to Mr Seng's undisclosed terms. - CNA/ms

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/401647/1/.html

i think the guy must have been really really at his wits end to have wanted to do something as terrible as that.
but at the same time, i dont exactly condone it la.

As a public figure or civil servant, there is always a risk of something like this.

It is sad to hear that such a prominent public figure became publicly "disfigured".

I cannot imagine the pain and suffering he is going through right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.