Moving vehicles at nite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tigger

Nov 21, 2004
15215SporeNite-030a.jpg

Picutre of Fullerton Hotel, taken using D70 in manual mode, f/7.1 and 1.3sec shutter speed. No flash.

Notice there are some white and red lines on the road, result of slow shutter and moving vehicles. However, as we are not able to see the vehicles, it make the photo look very unnatural.

Any suggestion of eliminating such effect? Or make the vehicle viewable to that it is more natural?

Get a lens with a large aperture, increase the ISO sensitivity of your camera, add a flashgun and make sure it is powerful enough to illuminate the vehicle(s) for the exposure for that instant.

r32 said:
Get a lens with a large aperture, increase the ISO sensitivity of your camera, add a flashgun and make sure it is powerful enough to illuminate the vehicle(s) for the exposure for that instant.

Alternatively, wait for the traffic light to turn red. ;p

unnatural???

An empty road would be more unnatural without cars or light streaks of car light to show a constantly used road which is visually accepted. In that case you should tilt your camera higher to capture just the hotel and get more the skyline and leave out the road completely.

Personally, I love having my roads with the light streaks...is shows more "live" and adds to the night scene look. Even better if I have the streaks of lights plus by firing a flash at the back end of the shot, I will have a subtle look of the vehicles going by too.

sammy888 said:
unnatural???

An empty road would be more unnatural without cars or light streaks of car light to show a constantly used road which is visually accepted. In that case you should tilt your camera higher to capture just the hotel and get more the skyline and leave out the road completely.

Personally, I love having my roads with the light streaks...is shows more "live" and adds to the night scene look. Even better if I have the streaks of lights plus by firing a flash at the back end of the shot, I will have a subtle look of the vehicles going by too.

The unnatural part here is referring to the "ghost light", where u can see traces of light but no car....

try using the flash set to rear-curtain sync on your D70, but no guarantee that the car will appear as it has to be in the "right" position in the frame when the flash fires.

Status
Not open for further replies.