Moving to Singapore soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLee

Jul 6, 2005
Planet Earth
www.jinolee.com
Hi all,

I'm not a newbie in photography but I'll be a newbie in Singapore soon. My whole family will be emigrating to Singapore by Dec this year. I'm married with 3 wonderful boys. (this gives you a clue how young am I) :D

Currently I'm a full-time working photographer specializes in Travel & Event photography and based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. My clients are mostly from agencies, event management, fellow photogs and publishing companies.

I would like to find out more about the photography industry in Singapore eg. how's the market? is the event section alive? how competitive? publishing accepting freelance work? and etc. The only thing about photography that I know in SG is Cathay Photo!!

Anyone kind enough to share and enlighten? In KL most pro photogs works in groups, helping each other out. I hope the 'culture' is very much the same here.

Thanks in advance. Cheers........

JLee said:
In KL most pro photogs works in groups, helping each other out. I hope the 'culture' is very much the same here.

hmm...the trend here seems to be undercutting each other (esp for the freelance) :dunno:

JLee said:
I would like to find out more about the photography industry in Singapore eg. how's the market?
market? some of them expect you to shoot for free :cry:

don't believe? read more and you will realise

Thanks Wai for your feedback. So it seems that I'm entering a dragon's lair.....and only one feedback so far? Hmm...........I get the message.

like they always say ... you'll have to exprience it yourself to find out. btw, welcome to Singapore !! :)

I have a studio for rent.
And I rent out to many pro photographers in Singapore, and sometimes we also share tips and contacts etc, it is a small circle anyway....

Hi JLee,

I don't think your future competitors would want to talk so publicly and openly to you about the conditions of their markets. If I could remember correctly there is at least one professional photographer from Malaysia operating in Singapore at this moment and there is also one that has left Singapore to go back to Malaysia.

I would think the Singapore photography market is at higher end as many products are overseas bound and the competition would be more intense because of its physical size and the higher standard of Singapore photographers. I suspect at the higher end of the market Singapore buyers are prepared to pay more than Malaysian ones.

I'm sorry that I couldn't tell you more about Singapore market as I'm based in Sydney and I am not a professional although I make a side income shooting editorial illustrative and conceptual stills with over-worn cliches.

Have a good look around ClubSnap, there are a few Singapore professionals here who could have the answers for your questions. And best wishes for your new life and new business in Singapore.

Regards.

Jlee the people you want to talk to should be PPAS (Professional Photographer Assiocation Singapore) You can get their contact at www.ppas.com.sg If you want to get more detail information you can call me first PM me your number :cool:

Welcome to Singapore JLee.

Hope you are able to find your niche here. I am not able to offer any advise as I am not a Pro photog. I used to do freelance until my kids were born and now only talk photos of the family or for the office functions.

Cheers......

Thanks a lot everyone. Really appreciate all your feedbacks. singscott, I will contact PPAS soon and if I need any further info I will PM you, is that ok?

To be more specific, I shoot mostly Travel & Event photography for agencies, event managements & editorial publishers. Some of my work can be viewed at
www.jinolee.com

Thanks again. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.