Moving to FF...

gardna

Apr 17, 2013
Singapore
Hi everyone, i am facing a dilemma now..

I have a 70D with these crop lenses:
10-18mm
18-55mm STM
17-55mm 2.8
60mm Macro

These EF lenses
70-200 F4
50mm STM
40mm STM
35mm Mk1

A couple of flashes and accessories and etc...

I am currently saving up to buy a full frame, either 6D(1.5k second hand) or 5d3(2.5k second hand). but not sure which..
If i were to buy the 6D, i would be keeping my 70D and my crop lenses. However, if i were to buy the 5d3, i would most likely sell my 70D to fund the price difference which also means all four of my EFS lenses will go..

i primarily shoot landscapes/wide angle & sports sometimes.. not so much video, street, people, portraits, etc, just mainly wide angle.

if i were choose option one of the 6D, i have two bodies(which is never bad), WIFI on both bodies(which is also never bad), controls that i am already used to since both the 70D and 6D button layout is the same.

If i were to choose the 5d3 option, i would get the benefit of both worlds, having both the FF sensor as well the much increase in focus points.

So yea.. any advice? im in no rush to get either, waiting is an option. the 5d4 wil be coming out and that will affect the 5d3 price(price already dropping slowly),

What do you not like about your 70D that you feel that you require a FF?

For the things you shoot and the gears you already had, is there anything that is lacking??

If no rush I suggest just wait
If it's compelling enough, you would have gotten it much earlier back already

i like my 70D a lot, no negatives really.. @rainduet

nothing that is lacking actually, i like what it covers, does well in everything @skystrike

but isnt full frame what people always aim to reach?

im just starting to raise funds, did not have much last time so didnt even bother to think about it, haha @trd2970

nothing that is lacking actually, i like what it covers, does well in everything @skystrike

im just starting to raise funds, did not have much last time so didnt even bother to think about it, haha @trd2970

Sounds like consumerism and marketing have taken hold...

FF is not really the much lusted or desired or must have upgrade.... I went from 5d2 to D800 and now end up with mirrorless m43 sensors which are fraction the size of FF sensors, and frankly based on what I shoot, when I compare the pics, I don't really see why I needed FF in the first place. But my pics sux so maybe my last statement is not that apt anyway lol

I say save your money and don't bother about FF for now unless you got a really good reason to upgrade. That's just my opinion tho.

Please consider very carefully why you really need (not want!) a full frame body before buying one. As you have already pointed out it is a huge investment. Also as far as most photographers are concerned, full frame is not what one should be aiming for. Rather, most photographers I know make their goal learning how to make full use of what they already own.

@gardna - there is a lot of literature on the whole 'upgrade to FF' topic. Please try to search for these and read the different views to see what appeals to you the most. You can upgrade based on want/lust if you have $$$ but if you are on a budget, it is best to learn how to be contented. :)

@darrrrrrrrr - i guess so haha

@trd2970 - i have a x100s too and i can see your point in the quality and how FF cant be justified. but i dont wanna invest in another interchangeable set of lenses and i guess thats why i was drawn to the x100 series

@rainduet - point taken

@Sessantasei, @richiemccaw1 - i ok using 1.5k to hit on a 6D tbh, so money just on a 6D isnt much of an issue. its more the 1k difference between that and the 5d3 that i am thinking about

But to all, yes i guess, i am contented with what i have. I have yet to outgrow my 70D to the point that i need to seek an upgrade

but but but still... if a choice MUST made between the 6D and the 5d3, which would you all choose

Personally I would choose 6D. It's cheaper, lighter and also because I don't need some of the features of the 5D3 such as better weather sealing or that many autofocus points etc.

FF is great format. 6D is what my friend uses for his work. He shoots images for Google.

read online that the IQ is the same, at most slightly different right?

@Sessantasei - My 70D, which ill be keeping if i were to get the 6D, would cover slightly what will be lacking in the 6D

@nikonzen - oh, cool. Any idea why he didnt opt for 5d3?

In my opinion, save up n buy the 5D3. I saved up n bought the D750 n still keeping D5000. Maybe one day i'll convert the D5000 to full IR capable n explore that type of subject.

In my opinion, save up n buy the 5D3. I saved up n bought the D750 n still keeping D5000. Maybe one day i'll convert the D5000 to full IR capable n explore that type of subject.

An idea as well i guess.. thanks

Actually, Full Frame is not what people always aim to reach. Some go for FF because of need, some go for because of temptation of wants.

Even if it's forced to choose between 6D or 5D3, it's still based on your needs and budget, both are good camera if you refer to image sensor. But if you compare the AF that 70D uses (I heard this uses same AF used in 5D3), I don't think 6D is comparable (at least from the specs sheet. I've not used the 6D before.)