Moving to DLSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

photo2k

Mar 29, 2004
Hi advisors,

I thought of switching to DSLR either Canon 300D or Nikon D70. I don't want to put in too much for lenses.
Can someone suggest what are the min lenses that I should buy and what are the price range ? I need a zoom lense up to 300mm. I don't mind lenses from third parties.

Thank a lot.

Centon 70-300mm f4.5 n-mount. Last I saw USD35 from ebay.

photo2k said:
Hi advisors,

I thought of switching to DSLR either Canon 300D or Nikon D70. I don't want to put in too much for lenses.
Can someone suggest what are the min lenses that I should buy and what are the price range ? I need a zoom lense up to 300mm. I don't mind lenses from third parties.

Thank a lot.

then u better dun buy a dslr, cos if dslr or any slr dun coupled with decent lens, the image quality or features is even poorer than normal digi cam.

basically dslr just excels in flexibility in switching lens and shutter lag and of cos it is more fun to play with lah!

Just my own opinion. :)

echoing rainman opinion. you should not get an slr if you are not prepared to spend on quality lens.

imaginary_number said:
What's your max budget for a DSLR+lenses+flash+misc?
max budget will be 4-10k..... if u are talking on Nikon products, all original body and lenses.... should be around there... like me.. ytd i was calculating my budget... i was really shocked as i need to raise another 17.6k for entire arsenal of lenses and a new body... :bigeyes:

17.6k.... sian man.... :cry:

photo2k said:
Hi advisors,

Thank a lot.
if you get a 300D now, you get a free 75-300 which is decent for starters.

rainman said:
then u better dun buy a dslr, cos if dslr or any slr dun coupled with decent lens, the image quality or features is even poorer than normal digi cam.

basically dslr just excels in flexibility in switching lens and shutter lag and of cos it is more fun to play with lah!

Just my own opinion. :)

well said!

anyways, just to add on, the purchasing of lenses eventually becomes a never ending cycle. few slr users (even those who are covered from wide to tele) can truthfully say that they're not constantly tempted to upgrade their lenses

"I don't want to put in too much for lenses."

You'll soon realise that is pretty impossible, with all the indoctrination from the CSers here...haha...unless you never come back and visit ClubSNAP again...

I've seen people using entry-level lenses and get decent results, so it IS possible to not pour in too much money for lenses--if you're not picky about picture quality.

My advise is to get a 300D or a D70, and spend another $300 slapping a Sigma 70-300 f/4-5.6 APO onto it. Isn't the best lens in the world, but under bright sunlight it gives decent results. Reputated to be sharper than the 75-300mm f/4-5.6 from Canon.

the thing about the tele lens tt start from f4....is tt unless its sunlight...its too slow....

Thinks twice first if you really want to switch to DSLR. you 'have to' put much for lenses for quality photos. Otherwise no point getting it.

Hi photo2k, im also considering moving to DSLR. But not so soon as my BMT is coming, cause I don't want to buy now and leave it in the cabinet to rot.

Would like to know when will to buy your ideal choice camera?

Btw, Im aiming for a 300D.

Witness said:
the thing about the tele lens tt start from f4....is tt unless its sunlight...its too slow....

You get what you pay for. Cheapos like me got to make do. In terms of picture quality it won't make a difference if it's smaller than 8R/web display.

Just don't shoot low-light telephotos lor...that's why I'm becoming so quiet in sports shoots now.

Who doesn't want a L USM IS F/2.8 anytime? Got to balance needs with budget.

LiOnElLiN said:
well said!
few slr users (even those who are covered from wide to tele) can truthfully say that they're not constantly tempted to upgrade their lenses

Haha... unless you have the full complement of Pro L lenses.=) PLUS filters for ALL..=)

IN which case, I think youd be the Sultan of Brunei

Nitrile said:
if you get a 300D now, you get a free 75-300 which is decent for starters.

How is the free lens btw?? Anyone shooting with it? Can post pics
(sorry ah photo2k, hijack thread a bit)

Am considering getting a tele lens after going to the zoo that day with Adam and seeing how everyone got the super Canon Cannons.=)

The main reason that I'm not upgrading to DSLRs is due to budget concerns. But someday when I'm ready, I will ensure that I don't just get a good body, but good lenses as well...and that can burn a hole in a wallet, pants and underwear at the same time...maybe even the skin and bones as well...haha.

Having said that, I only encourage my friends to get DSLRs if they plan to put their time, effort and passion into the art of photography. No point only taking out the camera only when there's a birthday or event. Constant practice is a neccessity for one's skill to evolve. In short, only get a DSLR if the thought of using it very often and carrying a heavy camera bag with a sturdy tripod (which is also rather heavy) delights you. Then you'll know that that's the path you need to make your journey. ;)

If budget is concern, get a SLR-like DC is sufficent for your needs. :think:

photo2k said:
Hi advisors,

Thank a lot.

hihi... well i m also currently considering changing to DSLR... prefer choice D70... i also want to know wat lenses are needed... :)

Larren Chen said:
hihi... well i m also currently considering changing to DSLR... prefer choice D70... i also want to know wat lenses are needed... :)

you've probably heard this before... but anyways, here goes...
what lenses you need depends on what you want to shoot :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.