Moving from DX to FX

Oct 22, 2012
Singapore
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am planning to move from my D5100 to a full frame camera. I'm looking at D600 cause i dont wish to change the memory cards.. (am using SD cards) or should I wait for any new comings in 2013?

Many thanks

The D600 is readily available. If you think you can wait for the next camera, do you really need a new camera to begin with? There is always the next camera after the next. The wait will be never ending.

Hi Kit,

I know the wait will always be there and I wish to move from a DX to a full frame because I love taking cityscape, wildlife and street photography. D600 allows me to get more out of what I have now but my main concern is its 1/4000 shutter instead of the usual 1/8000 and also I heard that it can't take heavy lens like 500mm because of its body..

Cheers

1. You're right with the 1/4000s limitation. I think only the wildlife genre will be hindered by this limitation.

2. Any dSLR can take the large telephoto lenses like the 500mm f/4. Just hold the setup by the lens, not the camera. That's also why such lenses comes with a lens tripod collar

1. You're right with the 1/4000s limitation. I think only the wildlife genre will be hindered by this limitation.

2. Any dSLR can take the large telephoto lenses like the 500mm f/4. Just hold the setup by the lens, not the camera. That's also why such lenses comes with a lens tripod collar

Not a wildlife shooter, but does wildlife always require 1/8000s? Just a question. However, the bonus take away is that D600 can AF with f/8, where this is usually only be provided in flagship pro-bodies.

avsquare said:
Not a wildlife shooter, but does wildlife always require 1/8000s? Just a question. However, the bonus take away is that D600 can AF with f/8, where this is usually only be provided in flagship pro-bodies.

I'm just guessing that wildlife photographers will appreciate the fastest shutter speed they can get. I imagine scenes like a flying bird or other fast action photography? Of course, you can probably snag a sleeping sloth with 1/100s or slower.

Dear Both,

Appreciate your answers. I don't think there are much wildlife in Singapore to begin with but I myself prefer a faster shutter just in case.. ^^

For someone that shoot RAW, 24mp is already a concern for me. what if my file is gonna be huge? That's one of the reason why I hesitated if I should get D600 or wait to see if something nice comes along..

DX vs FF ^^

Hi Kit,

I know the wait will always be there and I wish to move from a DX to a full frame because I love taking cityscape, wildlife and street photography. D600 allows me to get more out of what I have now but my main concern is its 1/4000 shutter instead of the usual 1/8000 and also I heard that it can't take heavy lens like 500mm because of its body..

Cheers

I do cityscapes and occasion street. Never have I gone close to 1/4000th. Don't know about wildlife though.

Structural point of view, the mount on DX cameras is identical to FX cameras. Further, when using the heavier lenses, the load of the setup will be transferred to the tripod mount of the lens. The camera mount will only be bearing the camera's own weight.

Looking at how the industry is going business wise, memory is only going to get bigger but also cheaper so there is no need to worry about memory storage.

As for your concerns on using a 500 f/4 or those huge telephoto lens, such lens are normally mounted by the collar as it is not possible to hand hold them for long durations unless one has very strong arms like that of Arnie's. When getting a tele photo lens like that, be prepared to also invest in a sturdy tripod and Gimbal head.

With regards about shutter speed. 1/1000 is enough to capture most wild life action. In ambient daylight conditions, 1/1000 can be under exposed by quite a bit if large clouds are up and about so i dont think having a max shutter speed of 1/4000 is going matter much. For me, i find that for wildlife photography, AF accuracy and ability to handle high ISO are vital considerations followed by FPS.

All these, the D600 can provide for a relatively affordable price.
Dear Both,

Appreciate your answers. I don't think there are much wildlife in Singapore to begin with but I myself prefer a faster shutter just in case.. ^^

For someone that shoot RAW, 24mp is already a concern for me. what if my file is gonna be huge? That's one of the reason why I hesitated if I should get D600 or wait to see if something nice comes along..

DX vs FF ^^

Hi Guys and Gals,

I am planning to move from my D5100 to a full frame camera. I'm looking at D600 cause i dont wish to change the memory cards.. (am using SD cards) or should I wait for any new comings in 2013?

Many thanks

The D600 is readily available. If you think you can wait for the next camera, do you really need a new camera to begin with? There is always the next camera after the next. The wait will be never ending.

So agree with KIT.... you can wait forever if you want... there will ALWAYS be something better around the corner...... ;)

@ TS:

IMHO, leave wildlife to much later time as the lens (Nikon ones) to capture wildlife is easily 3 times that of the D600. The D600 is very capable of Cityscape and street. In doing either gene, there is no concern over high shutter speeds above 1/4000.

Rather than suffer from analysis paralysis, get out there, try out the body with some lens and see if that is what you are after.

Hi Kit,

Cheers

I don't recall when is the last time I shot with 1/4000s, in fact, I don't really shoot above 1/2000s, btw, I remember one funny guy shot 1/8000s indoor, post a question asking why camera has 1/8000s shutter speed and he couldn't able to use it at all?

anyway, if you using a heavy lens, the support is always on the lens, be it tripod mounted or handheld, worry about lens mount is over concern.

in short, you upgrade for the wrong reason,

anyway, if does make you feel good and money is not an issue, just do whatever pleases you.

Hi Guys and Gals,

Many thanks

Wait.

If you buy now, then it is a balloon deflated. No more eager anticipation for next great model. Start to feel xian with what you bought.

Hahaha!!

Thank you all for the comments.. Have already tested the camera from the rental with a few lens last weekend..

Just wanna know how you guys&girls feel about the camera and the reason for buying..

Many thanks!! Will get the camera.. ^^

you will be the one buying and using the camera, what others think about it is irrelevant, you don't need any justification by others for the choices you made.

I'm just guessing that wildlife photographers will appreciate the fastest shutter speed they can get. I imagine scenes like a flying bird or other fast action photography? Of course, you can probably snag a sleeping sloth with 1/100s or slower.

Part time wildlifer here, not necessary 1/8000s always, nor even 1/4000, 1/800s-1/1000s would suffice most of the time. At 10fps, I can get a Common Kingfisher diving for food and up at about 1/800s.

Hahaha!!

Thank you all for the comments.. Have already tested the camera from the rental with a few lens last weekend..

Just wanna know how you guys&girls feel about the camera and the reason for buying..

Many thanks!! Will get the camera.. ^^

Reason for buying...

i. It's a FX (17-35 wooohooo~~)
ii. It's lighter than my D4 (can use for travels)
iii. It's faster ROI than my D4 (can use for cheapo paid works...)
iv. It has a popup flash that my D4 doesn't have (damn, why did I buy a camera without flash?)
v. Battery grip uses AAA (I don't have to bring the dual EN-EL18 charger that my D4 uses when I travel).

:)

Reason for buying...

i. It's a FX (17-35 wooohooo~~)
ii. It's lighter than my D4 (can use for travels)
iii. It's faster ROI than my D4 (can use for cheapo paid works...)
iv. It has a popup flash that my D4 doesn't have (damn, why did I buy a camera without flash?)
v. Battery grip uses AAA (I don't have to bring the dual EN-EL18 charger that my D4 uses when I travel).

:)

you buy your D4 because you are rich?