Moving clouds

Status
Not open for further replies.

eel

Aug 14, 2003
Thomson
Visit site
moving-clouds.jpg

interesting cloud formation I tried to capture at night which gave an unexpected result. Please critique.

Those dots are stars right? :bsmilie: Nice one eel... feels like the building is flying (thinking of Gorillaz's music videos right now)....

But for some reason, the composition and image does not grab me nor tell any story... what was it that you were trying to achieve other than shooting clouds at night with slow shutter speed? I might have missed something. Care to explain?

Yes I think the dots are stars. When I look at them at 100% they have a bit of a trail.

You're right that this not one of those pictures that tells a story - just a spur of the moment capture. I originally wanted to capture the formation of the clouds but the long exposure gave the picture a different - almost surreal - feel. So I wanted to share it and hear other's thots on it.:)

Thanks kunjack, glad you liked it. Maybe you can share what you like about it or why you like it?:)

as much as experimentation is always good, i think this picture does not work for me at all. i've nothing against the slow shutter usage to create the form of the clouds in the picture, but you should consider using more interesting static object to bring out a certain idea, rather than just capturing effects.

hey! ur pict's cool. i like the moving clouds. cheers mate!

eel said:
Thanks kunjack, glad you liked it. Maybe you can share what you like about it or why you like it?:)

Hmmm....the picture gave mi a feeling that the clouds is moving past the building very fast....i can actually feel the extreme movement there.....it seems to convey a message to mi ---> Rushing against time!!!

Moveover, there is a strong contrast between the building and the 'moving' clouds....good use of b/w function too....:D

eikin: it was more a spur of the moment wanting to capture the clouds. I do understand your point about being more deliberate and I'll definitely kkep that in mind. Thanks.

amin: thanks.

kunjack: thanks for taking the effort to add to your comments. Keep 'em coming!:D

good idea. thot of it myself but yet to try. and long exposure of clouds can even be done in the day, particularly dusk and dawn - stop down the aperture and maximise exposure.

I think u are just experimenting with the idea and not really composing here are you?

surely you must agree that the building is meaningless and the clouds are not the most photogenic are they? Doing this at dawn or dusk helps you "see" the clouds before you shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.