Moving Boat and Overcast Sky

ictrlaltdelyou

Jun 23, 2010
5234150514_d99ae792a2_z.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Composition and any other thing that you think might help me with taking better photos next time.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
As my usual way of shooting photos involves alot of simplification of details, this photo is to help myself learn to take less 'minimal' kinda shots.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken?
Was out hoping to test another camera but the weather was overcast that afternoon. So i ended up wandering round with my old camera looking for things to shoot. i know that the photo will look a bit better if i included the two humps on the right, instead of cropping one of it in the middle, but the boat was moving quite quickly and out of panick, i just took it without careful consideration of the overall composition.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
Over all, I kinda like the contrast of the messy sky over the calmer looking river and boat. fairly happy about being able to capture this moment given that i only took one shot of it.

As i am a newbie still, your comments and critiques will be greatly appreciated and will help me to learn more about photographing.

I'd say this is a very good composition. It tells a story!

:thumbsup:
great photo i would say!
indeed it does tell a story! (rowers are still practising so hard despite the sky being overcast)
i would say its a great capture but if we are to nitpick some problems its the ones you have already pointed out :)

Great shot!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: May I check with you, you use ND filter? Hoya brand with .9 stop?

I'd say this is a very good composition. It tells a story!

thanks!

:thumbsup:
great photo i would say!
indeed it does tell a story! (rowers are still practising so hard despite the sky being overcast)
i would say its a great capture but if we are to nitpick some problems its the ones you have already pointed out :)

yeah its a shame i didnt see that hump thing being cropped out. glad you like it still though! :)

Great shot!! :thumbsup::thumbsup: May I check with you, you use ND filter? Hoya brand with .9 stop?

nope i wasnt using a ND. i did admittedly boost the contrast in PS. was using a CPL though. it was overcast enough for me to take it without a ND. :)

Nice shot :)

I wonder how a coloured (warm) and a sepia version would look like...

Nice shot :)

I wonder how a coloured (warm) and a sepia version would look like...

haha i think a coloured shot wont be nice. coz. it was really a bad day for shooting when i took this. no punchy colours. black and white sometimes makes things nicer than it seems.

as for sepia, you can try it out if you like. http://www.flickr.com/photos/15589966@N00/5234150514/sizes/l/in/photostream/. i have no idea how it would look.

thanks for dropping a comment! have a nice day.

I like this shot, the subject is nicely placed against the calm of the background and I thought the cloud was pretty nice. :)

haha i think a coloured shot wont be nice. coz. it was really a bad day for shooting when i took this. no punchy colours. black and white sometimes makes things nicer than it seems.

as for sepia, you can try it out if you like. http://www.flickr.com/photos/15589966@N00/5234150514/sizes/l/in/photostream/. i have no idea how it would look.

thanks for dropping a comment! have a nice day.

Hi, thanks for the reply :)

No worries, I'll go with your original idea as the composition itself already drawn me to the boat and the sky :) :thumbsup:

I like this shot, the subject is nicely placed against the calm of the background and I thought the cloud was pretty nice. :)

thanks nitewalk. glad you like it. have a great evening.

I'm new to photog so I don't really know how to critique, but I REALLY REALLY love the sky. Was it like that one that day and how did you capture the depth of the clouds so nicely?

i find the FG + mid section a tad underexposed.

i like this. looks like people escaping from somewhere. foreground's a little dark. like aaSKaa mentioned too.

Nice:)

I'm new to photog so I don't really know how to critique, but I REALLY REALLY love the sky. Was it like that one that day and how did you capture the depth of the clouds so nicely?

actually im also relatively new to photography so it might be sheer luck. haha. but i used a cpl filter to boost the contrast of the sky and then boost it further in photoshop during post processing. played around with the curve, bring down the shadow, push up highlight. hope that helps.

i find the FG + mid section a tad underexposed.
i like this. looks like people escaping from somewhere. foreground's a little dark. like aaSKaa mentioned too.

yeah it is a little dark. thanks for pointing it out. cheers.

Nice...I like the mood :) Great job!

thanks! :)

nice photo. At what time of the day is it taken?

it is one of the best pix around. the fact that there r 2 row boats out there and there is actually a convergence of both lines can only be expressed by :thumbsup:

Very nice pic. Dramatic skies. :)

nice photo. At what time of the day is it taken?

thanks shaoken and kinachi, i think it was taken around 5-6. if i dint remember wrongly.

it is one of the best pix around. the fact that there r 2 row boats out there and there is actually a convergence of both lines can only be expressed by :thumbsup:

thank mitsucolt, thats such a huge compliment. but i have to say i would have to disagree on the opinion that its one of the best pix around. i have seen alot more amazing ones here. plus as pointed out by previously, this photo does have its flaws. but thanks anyhoo. glad you like it! :)

have a nice evening.

Last edited: