Movie using still cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's go do our own movie :devil:

24 x Canon IDMK2!!!! Think I will catch this movie. :)

ANyone interested in stop motion animation??
I remember the gd ole days of Ray Harryhausen movies and the early Sinbad and Star Wars were all using this technology.:thumbsup:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
maybe we can do a gundam version... hehe.... i sponsor my haro...

Hahaha! I have that idea too. You can use MSIAs.... very poseable.
:)

Now u just need a good script and some technical skills....

Btw, stop motion animation does not depend on how many frames a DSLR can take (eg 8fps or 5fps). Instead, the camera takes one shot. Then the animator moves the subject a little bit and then take another shot. When he has taken 30 shots of minute movements, he has one second of a 30fps clip. For a minute of motion that translate to 1800 shots. You need keep consistant lighting and all that so that they look like one smooth motion...

actually 24fps is already enough fr a decent animation. but 30 makes it even smoother. remembered my school time when we only need to do 12frames and record each frame twice to make into 24fps. hell.

detrop said:
actually 24fps is already enough fr a decent animation. but 30 makes it even smoother. remembered my school time when we only need to do 12frames and record each frame twice to make into 24fps. hell.

Wow! I didn't know schools teach this kindof stuff. :)
Did you use film or digital? Would be fun to do some short clips...;)

nanyang polytechnic's digital media design course. ;p it was shot with some old handycams. connected to computers via a capturing system that i frgot the name. i think it was Pinnacle or something.

detrop said:
Movies use only 24fps. PAL system(our TV system) uses 25fps. American and Japanese uses 30fps for NTSC TV system. There is very little differences between the 24fps and 30fps our eyes can see, infact the lesser the better to achieve the sought after 'film look'.

yanyewkay said:
consistant WB too i guess.. :(

YEah! That's why they shot the movie in RAW format and wrote a custom program to convert it to jpeg with the same WB! Canon won out becoz of its better noise control. But they already have Nikon glass... so they used a converter to use Nikon glass on Canon bodies and then shot with manual focus! :thumbsup:

These folks are creative and resourceful!
But still 24 x 1Dmk2 = peanuts when the movie makes it big!
I think they prob saved a lot on cost! Seems like their rig is not that powerful also... when compared to typical 3d animation houses.:)

detrop said:
nanyang polytechnic's digital media design course. ;p it was shot with some old handycams. connected to computers via a capturing system that i frgot the name. i think it was Pinnacle or something.

Cool! Post some clips??

Hommie said:
Movies use only 24fps. PAL system(our TV system) uses 25fps. American and Japanese uses 30fps for NTSC TV system. There is very little differences between the 24fps and 30fps our eyes can see, infact the lesser the better to achieve the sought after 'film look'.

2001 by stanley kubrick used stop motion at > 30fps to move the automated sliding doors so that they are smoother then usual. This gave the sliding doors very smooth motion indeed....:)

Hommie said:
actually, sometimes one could see the difference between 24fps n 30 fps. as for 24fps n 25fps, its never noticable unless you count the frames. ;p but yah, 24fps is already good nuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.